Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere

Remove this Banner Ad

I figured we should have a place to discuss the various stories that take place within the Cosmere, or just Sanderson in general.

I think it goes without saying there may be spoilers for:

Mistborn Era 1, 2, and Secret History
The Stormlight Archive (Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, Oathbringer, Rhythm of War)
Elantris
Warbreaker
Various Novellas and Graphic Novels set in the Cosmere

More info about the Cosmere for those looking into reading it:

Interested in getting into Sanderson and don't know where to start? Hear what Brando Sando himself thinks.

The title of the 4th Stormlight book has been confirmed to be 'Rhythm of War' which makes sense considering:

The story is going to be focussing more on Venli and Eshonai. Hopefully, we learn more about the Parshendi and their history rather than just be focussing on the war.

Last edited:
Heard it's good, The Stormlight Archive series in particular.

The Cosmere as a whole (what I have read so far at least) is great and the more of it you read, the more of the little easter eggs and connections to other stories in the Cosmere that Brandon drops into his books. Stormlight in particular is fantastic with Way of Kings being one of my favourite books of all time.

The Cosmere as a whole (what I have read so far at least) is great and the more of it you read, the more of the little easter eggs and connections to other stories in the Cosmere that Brandon drops into his books. Stormlight in particular is fantastic with Way of Kings being one of my favourite books of all time.

Being partway through another big, * off, but completed fantasy series notwithstanding, it's going to be many years before The Stormlight Archive is finished. Even 1 every 3 years would have the planned 10th book in 2038, when I'm in my 50s...

Which I think is why it is best to get in early. I read WoT and Malazan after they were both completed and I would have preferred to have read them as they were released.

If you were to get into the Cosmere next, I'd go for Mistborn. It is nowhere near as big while still having a great story, characters, and magic system.

Which I think is why it is best to get in early. I read WoT and Malazan after they were both completed and I would have preferred to have read them as they were released.

A Song of Ice and Fire and The Kingkiller Chronicle readers have become a jaded breed.

Brandon is not like that and he pumps out quality books in quite a timely manner. The problem with A Song of Ice and Fire is the show. Martin became too distracted by it and did sweet FA writing over that time.

Brandon is not like that and he pumps out quality books in quite a timely manner. The problem with A Song of Ice and Fire is the show. Martin became too distracted by it and did sweet FA writing over that time.
He was doing SFA before the show and has only accelerated. Since A Storm of Swords he barely writes. I've long since resigned myself to him dying before the last book is done.

Yep... can’t wait for the tome that is Rhythm of War in NoV. Clocking in at 460k words, it’s a big book. For comparison, Harry Potter’s 7 books totalled 1,084k words. Even the previous book “Oathbringer” was 450k words. That came out 3 years ago. So, Sanderson is bloody productive and still has some excellent lines and scenes.

2023 is when ideally Arc 1 finished with the fifth book.

dedicated fan forum at https://www.17thshard.com/

The cover for Rhythm of War has been released and it is gorgeous IMO.

Front cover

aD7EinI.jpg

Full cover

atnrqk9fbkh51.jpg

137 pages into Elantris. Can see why Reddit Cosmere fans go "You don't have to start with Elantris!". I don't want to read another 11 books like this. A 12-year-old could read it and understand everything. Lots of re-explaining in the text.

Am up to date with the Stormlight Archive and have read the first Mistborn trilogy.

Stormlight Archive started off amazingly well and was well on track to be my favourite of all time. Way of Kings was incredible. But each subsequent book has been worse than the last :( Still good considering the high it started on, but they're starting to drag.

Mistborn trilogy (which I came to after Stormlight Archive) was great. Keen on the next trilogy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd definitely recommend three of the four 'Year of Sanderson' novels (Tress of the Emerald Sea, Yumi and the Nightmare Painter and The Sunlit Man), as they are Cosmere one's. All three have everyone's favourite world jumping, sarcastic and caustic minor character appear. Although the first two are in Cosmere worlds, there's nothing obvious to tie them to other series. The Sunlit Man is a different matter. Another character already seen crops up, I won't spoil by saying who, but it places it as taking place post book 5 of the Stormlight Archive.

Those are cool!

Was that the Kickstarter last year?
Yep, will be available to buy via Brotherwise store once they’ve finished KS shipping. Only one didn’t get was Kaladin vs Szeth battle in the skies (end of book 2 scene), as that would have pushed it from around $200 to around $500 and couldn’t afford that. I have dreams of one day affording it 😔

If you have more money to spend than I do, there's Sandersons next crowdfunding campaign up at Words of Radiance Leatherbound by Brandon Sanderson. Signed Words of Radiance, plus you can get gear in your favourite Radiant order. Also a new 'secret project' Cosmere hardcover (or as an ebook/audio book).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back