Delisted Brandon White

Remove this Banner Ad

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Player Advocate 2016: Armitage2Riewoldt
Player Advocate 2017: St Pauls

Brandon White (13/01/1997. 188cm, 77kg. Dandenong Stingrays)

Medium defender/midfielder/forward

194938_0a37a8e1df5f4b0c8b209f73122dc557.jpeg

AFL biography: Well rounded medium midfielder/defender with excellent closing speed. He makes very good decisions and distributes the ball well on his preferred foot. Quality mark overhead for a player of his size. Averaged 15.3 disposals (72 percent efficiency) and 2.2 tackles for the Stingrays this year and impressed in three games for Vic Country in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

"I've always liked Brandon. He probably could have played more games for us as a 17 year old, but he went back and played some senior footy which I think has helped him. He's very aggressive and a very good third defender. Once he's had a bit of time in the system I think he'll be a pure utility, that old model utility that can play in all three zones. He has elite speed and poor endurance so he'll need a couple of years, but he'll end up being the smokey in this draft. In two or three years everyone will be saying, how did he slip so low? He's well disciplined, and he's tough as nails. He's that genuine run-through-a-brick-wall type of player that all coaches love. And he's a second cousin of Justin Leppitsch, so he's been able to get some good advice and have some good conversations with him about his footy."

Mark Wheeler, Dandenong Stingrays talent manager

Highlights: http://www.saints.com.au/video/2015-11-24/pick-40-brandon-white

Last edited:

First-round draft pick, Jade Gresham, will wear Farren Ray’s No.22 in his debut season, whilst fellow draftee, Brandon White, has been handed 1925 Brownlow medallist, Colin Watson’s No. 31 guernsey.

Recently made famous by Tommy 'The Head' Simpkin and Matt 'Goose' Maguire. If Brandon can match their combined game tally he's doing pretty well :)

White played as was to be expected in his first intra-club match. Had a few touches and showed off his left boot a couple times but nothing too outstanding. A couple comments from the gameday thread:

WHITE: couple of nice things. Didn't shy away from any contests. VFL year for him though.

Brandon white can kick

I thought Brandon White was good today also. Looks like he will be a player. I think his school mates were behind me, and they kept yelling out his name whenever he got near the ball, so it was easy to pick him out. Good athlete, and I think he's a very smart player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately Brandon was not picked for NAB 1. Will keep fingers crossed for Round 2 and 3 but it isn't too likely.

At this stage I imagine Brandon will spend most of his time in the VFL this year, with hopefully a small block of games at some stage throughout the season.

Haven't had a heap of updates for Brandon unfortunately. But he played Sandy 1s yesterday and had a pretty decent game. Some comments below:

For a big body his lack of contested work is a worry. Needs others to get him into the game but don't think his tank is good enough to create space for that role. White on the other hand looks to be an animal finding the ball & attacking the opponent.
Just watched a little of the game on the train heading in. Gee White is a great size.
I thought B White was in our best 3. Everything he did stood out.
Impatient Saint said:
White has extraordinary kicking skills and awareness, good draft choice.
Gresh, Rice, White, Holmes. All played really well.
Absolutely loving White. Got a whole lot of Roberton about him, but quick
Wow great kick from your Full back there! Goddard to White with a perfect kick onto Simpkin. Wowee. White will surely get a game this year if he can keep playing like this.

Really positive signs. Still looks to lack a tank and is probably behind a few to get a game any time this year. But hopefully can maintain his spot in the Sandy 1s and push for selection.

VFL Round 4 v Richmond - Brandon White (11 disposals, six contested possessions, six inside 50s)

“Brandon is building his game each week. He looks so damaging with ball in hand and he’s one player who we try and get the ball to because he’s a lovely kick of the footy and can really hit those low penetrating kicks, which just catch the opposition out. He played on a wing, across halfback, flipping between the two. 11 touches, we’d like him to find a way to win more ball.”

VFL Round 5 v Collingwood - Brandon White (12 disposals, four handball receives)

“He doesn’t get a lot of the ball yet, but what he does do is he’ll come forward, read the cues early and it really stands out when he does. He applied a really important tackle chasing and created a turnover which resulted in a goal for us. He can break a line with his kicks, so he’s got some good x-factor traits. As he gets more experience he’ll do more of those things more often.”

Similar game to last week, sounds like when he gets the ball he uses it well and he's also applying great defensive pressure. Next step is to get more of the ball, I'm not too sure of his stats from TAC but hopefully it's just a fitness issue at the moment and he'll slowly build up his disposal count.

White managed another 8 kick, 3 handball game against Port Melbourne this week. He had 4 rebound 50's and was somehow selected as 2nd in the Bests for Sandy, yet again.

Inside Football Rating:

Modest stats, but was able to rebound well out of back half.

Brandon pinged a hammy against Casey this week which was unfortuante as he was off to a good start and had been reasonable in the last few weeks.

According to the injury report it's not a serious one and he should be back in a couple weeks.

Will be good to get him back in the side before finals for Sandy but it seems unlikely now that he'll make his debut this year for the Saints.

Brandon returned from injury on the weekend in the disappointing loss to the Hawks, played a strong game though and was once again named in the bests.

Stats thanks to grimlock

upload_2016-8-15_17-6-50.png

Awesome signs that he managed to get 25 touches and break away from that consistent 11-17 touch games. Great kick to handball ratio and looks to have played back flank through the wing with a number of rebound and inside 50's.

Notes from the gameday thread:

Pretty even contest at the moment. 26-25 Zebs way. Eli, Shents, White and Rice playing well. Geez White has a beautiful kick on him.

26 touches in what was an overall disappointing day for the Zebras. His highest possession count and backed up last weeks performance where he got 25 touches.

Looked clean and didn't miss targets even in the wet. Roosted home a big goal (which I missed sadly) and had a huge last quarter which speaks for his fitness, especially coming back from injury.

3 weeks ago he was sitting out with a hamstring injury and I thought his year was just about done and dusted. But with 1 week to go in the AFL he's put his hand up as an unlikely debutant. Home game against one of the poorer sides of the year, wouldn't be the worst time to give him a shot.

Looking forward to Thursday night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back