Opinion Brasilian and South American Football thread

Remove this Banner Ad

2-0 now. Unless something weird happens, it should be a Gremio-River final.

I'm walking the dog. There is a pub right next my building, the TV is on, and I just hear the commentator going nuts:

— GOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLLLL!!!! LANÚS COMES BACK! IT'S 3-2!!!

Thirty minutes to go, and Lanús just needs one goal to qualify for the Grand Final...

Wow!

Last edited:

lol Lanus 3-2 now. That's the weird, unexpected stuff that makes football so interesting. River still through on away goals.

Diario Olé, Brazilian TV, they are saying ref should have called a PK for River Plate. Am I the only one who sees the ball hitting the hand, instead of the hand hitting the ball. It does not look a foul to me...

So cloooooose...

1053067.jpg

I can't believe it!

Nov 22nd – Porto Alegre
Nov 29th – Lanús

The current state of violence in South America has sad implications on soccer. Today, the most important derbies in São paulo (Palmeiras v Corinthians, simply called the "Derby") and Buenos Aires (River v Boca, the "Super-Derby") are happening. In both games, only home supporters are allowed to attend.

The current state of violence in South America has sad implications on soccer. Today, the most important derbies in São paulo (Palmeiras v Corinthians, simply called the "Derby") and Buenos Aires (River v Boca, the "Super-Derby") are happening. In both games, only home supporters are allowed to attend.
Yeah its terrible that situation has gotten this bad but its happened before and I suspect it will happen again.

Yeah its terrible that situation has gotten this bad but its happened before and I suspect it will happen again.

It will get better enventually, but it is sad, nevertheless.

THE GREATEST SOCCER TOURNAMENT OF THE WORLD ENDS TONIGHT! (aka "tomorrow morning" for you all)

Copa Libertadores Grand Final

2nd leg - Lanús x Grêmio, in Lanús

Kickoff at 10:15am in Adelaide

Grêmio won the first leg, 1-0.

No away goals. If the series ends up tied in points, tiebreaker is goal differential. IF GD is equal, there will be a 30' Extra-Time. If the tie remains, then the champion will be decided through PKs (and Grêmio would be screwed...).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Third (1983, 1995, 2017) in five finals (1984, 2007).

2007's aggregate is our 119. It was 5-0... :-(
So is it wild scene in Porto Alegre?? Do you live in the city? I saw your photos from the farm.

Is Gremio the only Port Alegre team in the national league, or the only one in the top division at the moment?

So is it wild scene in Porto Alegre?? Do you live in the city? I saw your photos from the farm.

Is Gremio the only Port Alegre team in the national league, or the only one in the top division at the moment?

Our rivals were relegated in 2016. They just got promoted again. We played the Second Division in 1992 and 2005. They were proud they never did. Well, this is gone...

Last season, they got down, and we got the Brazil's Cup (5th). Now, we have conquered the CONTINENT! The score on Libertadores are now 3-2 for us. All this has happened when I just got back from the US. I am a f*ck*ng lucky bastard!

Last edited:

I live in the city. The barrackers' parade began on my street! I watched it from the balcony, while I was putting my Grêmio flag on the protecting net.

It is wild. Safely wild, I mean. This season motto was "We are going to destroy the planet!" So people ate celebrating accordingly! i am not sure about the planet, but my liver is in jeopardy... :-D

From a thread on the main board

P.S.: Grêmio and Internacional are the Top-2 soccer clubs in the state. They are among Brazil's "Big-12." They have barrackers everywhere in South Rio Grande. Uruguayana is not different.
I have heard of Internacional, for many years, but I thought they were from Sao Paulo, until you mentioned otherwise in a thread 2 or 3 months ago. I remember watching them beat Barcelona for the FIFA World Club Cup.

Ok so my guess at the other top 10 of the top 12

Rio
Flamengo
Fluminense
Botafogo - Garrincha's team and black and white
Vasco da Gama - another black and white team

Sao Paulo
Santos - Pele's team and black and white, but mainly white as their home strip
Corinthians - I always thought it was appropriate that someone called Socrates played for Corinthians
Sao Paulo
Palmeiras - I always think of cycling when I see their name as a cyclists record of achievements is called his/her Palmares which is French.

So am I right with these 8?? Who are the other 2 or more?

From a thread on the main board

I have heard of Internacional, for many years, but I thought they were from Sao Paulo, until you mentioned otherwise in a thread 2 or 3 months ago. I remember watching them beat Barcelona for the FIFA World Club Cup.

Ok so my guess at the other top 10 of the top 12

Rio
Flamengo
Fluminense
Botafogo - Garrincha's team and black and white
Vasco da Gama - another black and white team

Sao Paulo
Santos - Pele's team and black and white, but mainly white as their home strip
Corinthians - I always thought it was appropriate that someone called Socrates played for Corinthians
Sao Paulo
Palmeiras - I always think of cycling when I see their name as a cyclists record of achievements is called his/her Palmares which is French.

So am I right with these 8?? Who are the other 2 or more?

Corinthians is also black and white. 5 of the Big-12 are black and white.

Palmeiras means "Palm Trees." In the 30's, German, Italian, and Japanese languages were forbidden in Brazil. Many clubs had to change their names. Palmeiras was "Palestra Italia."

The two clubs you are missing are both from Belo Horizonte: Cruzeiro; and Atlético Mineiro (black and white).

Corinthians is also black and white. 5 of the Big-12 are black and white.

Palmeiras means "Palm Trees." In the 30's, German, Italian, and Japanese languages were forbidden in Brazil. Many clubs had to change their names. Palmeiras was "Palestra Italia."

The two clubs you are missing are both from Belo Horizonte: Cruzeiro; and Atlético Mineiro (black and white).
Corinthians have red in their colours don't they? I'm sure I have seen them play in red. I forgot they were black and white but have seen them play with their white strip.

Gremio has a bit of black and white to go with the blue. Does that make 6 teams?

Corinthians have red in their colours don't they? I'm sure I have seen them play in red. I forgot they were black and white but have seen them play with their white strip.

Gremio has a bit of black and white to go with the blue. Does that make 6 teams?

São Paulo: red-white-black
Palmeiras: green-white

Fluminense: maroon-white-green
Flamengo: red-black

Internacional: red-white

Cruzeiro: blue-white

---
Corinthians has red in its badge, but its kit is like Germany's: white shirt/socks; black shorts.
---
Grêmio is blue-black-white. The blue makes all the difference! :)

Last edited:
GremioPower I posted this in the round ball thread back in April 2015 just after diegodcg joined this board and was going to post this for your attention when you joined. Its about the influence Brasilian football has had on the world game in Australia and especially its no. 1 evangelist former Socceroos captain the late Johnny Warren - who like diego was a Flamengo supporter. If you watch the video below you will see that Soccer has always been seen as the outsiders game for so long in Australia.

diegodcg thanks for clarifying some stuff about the set up of Brazilian football. I knew it was a state league based system until 1971 but was confused how post 1971 some of the championship winners won their title. It now makes more sense. To understand Australian soccer/football you need to understand the Johnny Warren story. Johnny was the first captain when the national team got their nick name the Socceroos in the late 1960's. He was unususal as he was an Australian born young player of Australian parents who dominated the game, when the post world war immigrants from England and Europe were the dominate players in Australia. He tore his cruciate ligament after helping Australia qualify for the World Cup for the first time in 1973 for the 1974 World Cup and had to have a full knee reconstruction. He was the first sports person in Australia to make a comeback from a knee reconstruction operation. He went to the World Cup, the captaincy was taken away from him as he was a shadow of the player before the operation and only played in 1 game. He played another season in Australia and retired. The National Soccer League wasn't formed until 1977. As Australia failed to make the 1978 World Cup Johnny joined the new TV station SBS which was started by the government in the late 1970's starting in Sydney and Melbourne before going nationwide after 5 years or so, for the Australia multicultural citizenship and started broadcasting films and programs in many languages.

Johnny started a program called Captain Socceroo and as soccer was the world game and SBS's slogan was bringing the world back home it was a perfect fit. SBS = Special Broadcasting Service but over the years it has been know as Soccer Bloody Soccer, Sex Broadcasting Station or Stick Broadcasting Station, as soccer and erotic R rated films from around the world were shown on it. I have watched many great films from Brazil on this station including the life stories of Garrincha and the life story of Lula and City of God.

Johnny had been inspired by the Anglo and European game, but in 1981 he went to Brazil with his nephew to check out the soccer there and then other countries in Latin America. He fell in love with the country and its people immediately but also the rest of Latin America. He died in 2004 but between 1981 and 2003 when he was diagnosed with lung cancer he made at least 1 trip to Brazil every year and had been to Latin America over 40 times in those 22 years. He was made an honorary citizen of Brazil in the late 1990's as you can see in the documentary video below at about the 30 minute mark. He married a Uruguyan and then the last 6 years of his life he had a defact Brazilian wife about 18 years his junior. He only was 61 when he died but he lived 2 lives in that time especially once he had been to Brazil. He is a Sydney boy - got himself an economics degree and when he died he was the first sports person in New South Wales to get a state funeral

He had a property 90 minutes drive south of Sydney and called it Maracana. his email address started zico10, he had 2 Angora goats and called one Zico and the other Diego after Maradona. At his 50th birthday party the then Brazilian Ambassador Marcos Cortes, Brazil's longest ever serving ambassador to Australia told the story that on one long visit to Australia where Pele spent a lot of time with the local Brazilian communities in Sydney and Melbourne he said to Marcos, you know Johnny does a better job of promoting Brazil than you do.

Johnny for years wanted to write a book but nobody would publish that book because he refused to change the title. he called it Shielas, Wogs, NTTAWWTters, because when he played that's what soccer players were called and at school he was called Wog Warren. Shiela is Australian slang for a woman, Wogs refers to darker skinned southern Europeans, Arabs and north African and NTTAWWTters is slang for gays. in his book he writes the following about Flamengo on hos first visit;

"One of the first places William (his football professor guide) decided to show us was on of Rio's biggest football clubs, Club Regattas Flamengo. Most of the clubs in Rio are known as Club Regattas because they started as rowing clubs. Flamengo is quite unique because it is considered to be the club of all the people of Rio. Their opponents say the only time it is safe to go to Rio is when Flamengo is playing because all the city's crooks are at the match! Having been to matches in Rio several times I can certainly vouch for the fanaticism of the Flamengo supporters........ he then talks about all the club facilities and finishes off with .... There is simply nothing like it in the Australian soccer world."

After that first visit to Brazil, Johnny like the Jesuits in South America had a mission to convert all the people to Catholicism, Johnny made it his mission in life to convert Australians to accept soccer as a game for all Australians not the immigrants, and from what he saw to develop the game and the national team to play in the manner that reflected the culture of the country, like he saw in Brazil, from the kids on the beach to the kids in the favelas. [ Gremio I mention playing sport to reflect your national culture and gave example of Australia and American control freak nature being reflected in sport and you said you would comment on that but never did. It was from Johnny that i have developed this understanding the last 25 years or so]

Johnny used his time on SBS to drive his mission and after years of bad administrators time and again stuffing up the game and Australia failing to qualify for so many World Cups he got the Australia government and one of Australia's richest man to restructure the game into what is now the A League which started in 2005 a month before we qualified for the 2006 world cup but unfortunately he died 12 months before that. He has said his lasting legacy when Australia makes the World Cup and wins it is - I Told You So.

In about 2002 when he was trying to restructure the game with the help of the government he said the following about the previous 25 years of the game in Australia -

The era is one of disinterest, punctuated by periodic bouts of intense pain, gutless blame apportionment, confusion, pathetic inaction, anger and staggering denial.

This second video only makes sense if you watch all of the first one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back