Player Watch Brayden Cook

Remove this Banner Ad

Steele Sidebottom

Maybe the best Panthers player I ever saw was Mark Coombe but sadly his career was really over before it started due to his shoulder injury, probably with the major improvements in surgical processes these days he'd have been remembered as an absolute champion of SA football. People carry on about Jason Horne-Francis but this bloke was better at the same age. On Lindsay Backman a very good footballer with brilliant skills and footy smarts but I always classed him as a bit "soft".

what about Wayne Slattery amazing teenage footballer

Coombe was a little before my time but my older brother says he was good

what about Wayne Slattery amazing teenage footballer

Coombe was a little before my time but my older brother says he was good
Saw both of them live almost every game they played back then, Wayne Slattery was very good as was Shane Butler but honestly Mark Coombe was on a different level.

South Adelaide Hall of Fame with some pretty illustrious Panther names.

Last edited:
Saw both of them live almost every game they played back then, Wayne Slattery was very good as was Shane Butler but honestly Mark Coombe was on a different level.

South Adelaide Hall of Fame with some pretty illustrious Panther names.

Naley was the best I saw; Robin White & Michael Bennett very underrated

used to enjoy watching Darren Troy physically man handle Garry McIntosh so brutally that McIntosh was visibly afraid of Troy. Rightly, he was a wrecking ball straight out of a Stephen King does Country Football novel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naley was the best I saw; Robin White & Michael Bennett very underrated

used to enjoy watching Darren Troy physically man handle Garry McIntosh so brutally that McIntosh was visibly afraid of Troy. Rightly, he was a wrecking ball straight out of a Stephen King does Country Football novel
I'd have Mark Coombe a smidgin in front of Naley more on what could have been than anything, both absolute AA graders, Coombe's elite dual sided kicking gets him over the line for me.
Yeah Darren Troy was a beauty, and to think he wasn't getting games at the Cats, if I remember right we had thing going on with the Cats back in the day, another very good player we got over from then was Ruckman Rob Hawkins (brother of Jumpin' Jack Hawkins and Tom's uncle). Talking about tough buggers Alan White wasn't very big but he could handle himself. Some I reckon were underrated were Renz Bais, Geoff Baynes, Eddie Fry, Craig utensil and the Kappler Brothers Darren especially.

I'd have Mark Coombe a smidgin in front of Naley more on what could have been than anything, both absolute AA graders, Coombe's elite dual sided kicking gets him over the line for me.
Yeah Darren Troy was a beauty, and to think he wasn't getting games at the Cats, if I remember right we had thing going on with the Cats back in the day, another very good player we got over from then was Ruckman Rob Hawkins (brother of Jumpin' Jack Hawkins and Tom's uncle). Talking about tough buggers Alan White wasn't very big but he could handle himself. Some I reckon were underrated were Renz Bais, Geoff Baynes, Eddie Fry, Craig utensil and the Kappler Brothers Darren especially.

Still the greatest effort in a team photo, ever.

E1G9Kh8VoAEv-Ao.jpg

Very successful club in the last 20 years. I went to school and played basketball with Todd Steele who captained them to about 6 flags in a row (after a few seasons at South). A lot of SANFL players produced over the years.

Baynes!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back