Recommitted Brayden Fiorini [OOC 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would Essendon want him, lol.

He is literally Darcy Parish's clone (except personally I think he is slightly better).

He is not in the team for a reason - unaccountable/ can't run to a standard that satisfies Dew.

They want another midfielder that chases kicks around all game, and lets their opponent do as they please?

When he has played against us he has always seemed to play quite well and obviously gets loads of the ball.

But $600k and might not be in the best 22 is a deal breaker.

Would be quite happy with him at WC. Especially at that sort of price.

Quite like him as a player, and given his inside leaning he would walk into our midfield.

Whether he would move to the west is another thing.

Be a good pick up it's the one Achilles heel the pies have winning some contested footy, a 3rd rounder should get that done

Any rumours or news on him?
I get the feeling we might be on the receiving end of a salary dump, for a change, and take his $600k contract for next year, but extend it over an extra year or two.

With recent reporting indicating the AFL may tick off lopsided trades, done to alleviate salary cap pressures, we might snare a pick from GC to take him. Guessing but something like Fiorini + pick 34 for pick 42.

Could be handy depth and I recall we really liked him in his draft year, something we've done previously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the feeling we might be on the receiving end of a salary dump, for a change, and take his $600k contract for next year, but extend it over an extra year or two.

With recent reporting indicating the AFL may tick off lopsided trades, done to alleviate salary cap pressures, we might snare a pick from GC to take him. Guessing but something like Fiorini + pick 34 for pick 42.

Could be handy depth and I recall we really liked him in his draft year, something we've done previously.
Hopefully. I’m as keen on him as anyone we’re rumoured to get this off-season.

For some reason, I’m abit more comfortable in swapping Grundy’s $600k for Fiorini’s rather than McStay. Feel as though Fiorini’s ceiling is higher in making us better.

Last edited:

The other thing is he was one of us growing up.
Some people scoff at that as if it doesn't matter and they may be right.
However, once they are in The Club it matters - their love is re-kindled.

For $300k pa over 2 years he is probably worth it for a very late pick.

He is not much cop really.

Pies fans should not expect another Will Brodie type of recruit imo, but I suppose it's basically a free hit, so no harm, no foul if it doesn't work out

Pies fans should not expect another Will Brodie type of recruit imo, but I suppose it's basically a free hit, so no harm, no foul if it doesn't work out
I mightn’t have an idea of him like you would but I thought he was still capable of being a good, role player type serviceable inside midfielder…?

His best at both AFL and VFL level seem to indicate he has potential.

In fairness nobody expected Will Brodie to be what we would now refer to as 'a Will Brodie level recruit' either.

In fairness nobody expected Will Brodie to be what we would now refer to as 'a Will Brodie level recruit' either.

Fair enough.

What makes it even funnier is Gold Coast are paying him to play for Freo.

Man the Suns really have cooked their books in recent years.

Fair enough.

What makes it even funnier is Gold Coast are paying him to play for Freo.

Man the Suns really have cooked their books in recent years.
Just curious what is the source. Not saying it's not true. I don't know.

Brodie was a salary dump so it does not make a sense Suns would pay him at Freo especially considering picks used in trade. The only speculation I read is that Freo spread his 600K over 2 years. BTW, Suns deferred/back ended Brodie contract to make cap cut due to covid. His last year salary was much higher than average over the length of contract. Fiorini could be the same story. Mcpherson was another one but he agreed to spread his contract over 2 years extension.

FWIW, I believe Fiorini is a better player than Brodie :p

Last edited:
Just curious what is the source. Not saying it's not true. I don't know.

Brodie was a salary dump so it does not make a sense Suns would pay him at Freo especially considering picks used in trade. The only speculation I read is that Freo spread his 600K over 2 years. BTW, Suns deferred/back ended Brodie contract to make cap cut due to covid. His last year salary was much higher than average over the length of contract. Fiorini is the same story. Mcpherson was another one but he agreed to spread his contract over 2 years extension.

FWIW, I believe Fiorini is a better player than Brodie :p
For a naive and intrigued Collingwood supporter, can you please elaborate on this. You’d know best!

For a naive and intrigued Collingwood supporter, can you please elaborate on this. You’d know best!
Fiorini needs to play inside, will get the same numbers as Brodie. But is smarter player, better leader, covers ground better, defends better, can play other roles (although average) vs Brodie who can only play inside.

Fiorini needs to play inside, will get the same numbers as Brodie. But is smarter player, better leader, covers ground better, defends better, can play other roles (although average) vs Brodie who can only play inside.
I was keen before, I am more keen now!

Put it this way. Touk Miller, Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson and David Swallow only missed one game between them this season. Fiorini got his shot in the middle that game and won the three Brownlow votes. Went right back to the wing the week after.

In summary, if Collingwood recruit Fiorini and play him as a starting midfielder, he's projected to win 66 Brownlow votes next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back