Recommitted Brayden Fiorini [OOC 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough.

What makes it even funnier is Gold Coast are paying him to play for Freo.

Man the Suns really have cooked their books in recent years.
Unfortunately, as we are seeing with GWS, the expansion clubs need to overpay players to keep them there, unless they are really loyal like Miller. That lack of 3rd party deals and coterie support means their earning potential outside of footy is limited so the club needs to fill the gap in.

Put it this way. Touk Miller, Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson and David Swallow only missed one game between them this year. Fiorini got his shot in the middle that game and won the three Brownlow votes. Went right back to the wing the year after.

In summary, if Collingwood recruit Fiorini and play him as a starting midfielder, he's projected to win 66 Brownlow votes next year.
Can't argue with the numbers.

Put it this way. Touk Miller, Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson and David Swallow only missed one game between them this season. Fiorini got his shot in the middle that game and won the three Brownlow votes. Went right back to the wing the week after.

In summary, if Collingwood recruit Fiorini and play him as a starting midfielder, he's projected to win 66 Brownlow votes next year.
Unfortunately he’ll still lose out to Cripps who’ll somehow manage 67 Brownlow votes 😝

If he takes an extra year to ‘smooth’ out the money, surely it wouldn’t be at 300k / year.

Don’t think you could add zero dollars to the contract but tack on an extra year.

At minimum he’d have to receive the minimum ie. 100k for the additional year? Making it 700k over 2 years then restructured to however it suits best.

Put it this way. Touk Miller, Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson and David Swallow only missed one game between them this season. Fiorini got his shot in the middle that game and won the three Brownlow votes. Went right back to the wing the week after.

In a win against Sydney at the scg no less.

If he takes an extra year to ‘smooth’ out the money, surely it wouldn’t be at 300k / year.

Don’t think you could add zero dollars to the contract but tack on an extra year.

At minimum he’d have to receive the minimum ie. 100k for the additional year? Making it 700k over 2 years then restructured to however it suits best.
Is it seriously that simple to make it $700k over 2, then pay $200k in 2023 and $500k in 2024 for example?

I’ve never fully grasped the specific workings of front/back ending a deal.

Is it seriously that simple to make it $700k over 2, then pay $200k in 2023 and $500k in 2024 for example?

I’ve never fully grasped the specific workings of front/back ending a deal.
I'd think that's close to what we'd be looking at. I.e. $700k over 2 years, thus an extra year at $100k for Fiorini for his entire deal but likely split in the cap at $350k x 2 or something like $300k & $400k if cap is tight on 2023.

Had a huge back end last year right next to Touk every week in disposals.

Followed him closely had a big preseason and just didn't come on or fell out of favour.

I could see him being a really nice pick up if played in the middle every week.

Had a huge back end last year right next to Touk every week in disposals.

From rounds 16 to 23, Miller averaged over 7 more disposals per game than Fiorini.

Fiorini can certainly find the ball, but that's not exactly what I'd call "right next to" Touk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would he agree to that? It's less than draftee minimum.
I wouldn't know. Just spit-balling. Perhaps just to stay in the system with a chance to prove yourself and still earn $100k. On the flipside, he could stay at the Suns, gets his $600k but doesn't play any AFL and is out of the system in 2024. Opportunity?

With Bowes going, might mean Fiorini is a required player for the Suns. No word anywhere in the media in recent weeks.

With Bowes going, might mean Fiorini is a required player for the Suns. No word anywhere in the media in recent weeks.
Not a required player. There were reports yesterday that Fiorini met with Collingwood and that he will end up there but also that Suns would be happy is he decides to stay.

Not sure if Collingwood need both Fiorini and Mitchell.

Collingwood is at the front of the queue for Gold Coast midfielder Brayden Fiorini but the Suns are unlikely to hand a quality pick to the Pies if they decide to take on his $600,000 back-ended 2023 salary.

The Pies could consider spreading that salary across two seasons.
The Suns would be happy to keep Fiorini, who is understood to have met with Collingwood last week.

Last edited:
Not a required player. There were reports yesterday that Fiorini met with Collingwood and that he will end up there but also that Suns would be happy is he decides to stay.

Not sure if Collingwood need both Fiorini and Mitchell.
If we lose De Goey we definitely need both and even if we keep him it’s still prefer we get both.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back