Recommitted Brayden Maynard [contracted and staying at Collingwood]

Remove this Banner Ad

Won’t happen, he’ll want a commitment from the next coach to play midfield. He’ll get it and especially since our midfield is so inept.
What do the dees gave to offer as well? Pick 34 or a future 1st, hardly enticing.

I'd be holding him to his contract in that situation f I was Collingwood.

Ultimately I think Maynard more than anything is a great and loyal clubman, the only reason I could see him going is if The Pies want to move him on, I don't think he is the type of bloke that would seek to leave for more money (as least that's what I can ascertain)

What do the dees gave to offer as well? Pick 34 or a future 1st, hardly enticing.

I'd be holding him to his contract in that situation f I was Collingwood.

If a player wants to leave and he’s coming out of contract in 12 months, the smart move is to maximise your trade return on him now. Collingwood are in rebuild mode. They ‘ain’t playing finals anytime soon. They’ll deal on Maynard if the price is right.

We’ve got a future first, we’ve got Weideman, we’ve got second rounders. A satisfactory package can be put together that can conceivably free up cap space for the Pies as well.

It’ll be a win-win whatever it is.

Even future 1st + Weideman seems underwhelming.

But perhaps if we get additional points this year + 1st next year + Weideman maybe that's acceptable.

If a player wants to leave and he’s coming out of contract in 12 months, the smart move is to maximise your trade return on him now. Collingwood are in rebuild mode. They ‘ain’t playing finals anytime soon. They’ll deal on Maynard if the price is right.

We’ve got a future first, we’ve got Weideman, we’ve got second rounders. A satisfactory package can be put together that can conceivably free up cap space for the Pies as well.

It’ll be a win-win whatever it is.
Weideman and a future 1st (~18) I can't see getting it done.

Even in 12m time, if he still wants to go, the offer still needs to be a good one, so won't be dissimilar. Dees aren't pushing him to the PSD or anything like that.

A future first alone is a more than reasonable offer for a good player but a non-KPP non-prime mover.

The addition of Weideman will get it over the line.

In 12 months time it might just be the first with Weid off the table.
I can't see us even considering a future 1st alone (pretty much a 2nd round pick given your ladder position).

Weideman is virtually worthless.

Maynard is a top 10 player on our list, whos shuts down the most dangerous opposition forwards week in week out (from smalls to Martin/Danger types to KPFs like Riewoldt) while also providing quality rebound by himself (he wins his rebounds through contested possessions rather than getting them for free like Lloyd/Daniel etc). Your trade suggestion is not realistic.

Maynard is a much better player than Adam Saad as a defender, he's younger, and he can also play midfield.

What did Saad go for?

Last edited:
Top 10 player in a side that finished 17th. You said it.

Future first plus Weid will be fine.
Absolutely not, A player who cant get a game and has not showed a huge amount and like pick 14-18 next year is nowhere near good enough. Hes a top 3-4 smaller defender who can also play heaps taller as well as midfield. You are being ridiculous. He is 24-25 and has heaps of experience for his age as well. If they did a re-draft of the 2014? draft he would be easily top ten pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’d be a top 10 player at Melbourne too
Yeah he would be and so is an in form Ben Brown, and we got him for pick 33 pretty much. If a player wants out it’s in the clubs best interest to trade them for whatever they get. A future first should get it done if he wants out.

If he did go next year for nothing, then we would get a compo pick for him, which would likely be a first-rounder (prob top-5 given our likely result next season) anyway based on the salary he could command on the open market. No way we trade him for any less than that this year if it's of no benefit to do so.

I would say the offer would have to be a future first rounder + either a player that makes us better in the LONG term, or draft points to get Daicos and Dib home more comfortably this year.

If he did go next year for nothing, then we would get a compo pick for him, which would likely be a first-rounder (prob top-5 given our likely result next season) anyway based on the salary he could command on the open market. No way we trade him for any less than that this year if it's of no benefit to do so.

I would say the offer would have to be a future first rounder + either a player that makes us better in the LONG term, or draft points to get Daicos and Dib home more comfortably this year.

Lol. You’re not getting a first round compo pick from the AFL for Brayden Maynard.

Ffs he is a good player but (again) he is not a KPP, not an A grade midfielder and has never been in the AA 22.

His highest finish in the Collingwood B&F is 5th (2019/20)

Adjust your expectations accordingly.

Lol. You’re not getting a first round compo pick from the AFL for Brayden Maynard.

Ffs he is a good player but (again) he is not a KPP, not an A grade midfielder and has never been in the AA 22.

If he were to move to Melbourne next year he would definitely be paid in the top 15% of players in the AFL and would be a first round pick, although later first round. Collingwood will likely finish in the lower parts of the ladder and the pick number would go up. A top 5 pick is unlikely but top 10-12 is not at all

Yeah he would be and so is an in form Ben Brown, and we got him for pick 33 pretty much. If a player wants out it’s in the clubs best interest to trade them for whatever they get. A future first should get it done if he wants out.
Ben Brown Had a bad year and both north and the player wanted to leave. Brown is very 1 dimensional as well. They are not the same.

As far as I know, the compensation is based off of the player's contract, not the quality of the player, right?
So if a club is willing to pay up for him, we get compensated at a higher rate, rightly or wrongly.

If he's in the top 5% of earners, it's a first-round compo 1 spot after the club's first pick.
Top 5-15% of earners would make it an end of first round pick.

"Perhaps most famously, Melbourne received Pick 3 when James Frawley joined Hawthorn in 2014, but Hawthorn only received Pick 19 when Lance Franklin left for Sydney in 2013.
Both teams received first-round compensation picks, but the Hawks finished first on the ladder (and won the flag) before Buddy left, earning Pick 18. The Demons finished 17th, so their pick fell after their natural selection of Pick 2."

As far as I know, the compensation is based off of the player's contract, not the quality of the player, right?
So if a club is willing to pay up for him, we get compensated at a higher rate, rightly or wrongly.

If he's in the top 5% of earners, it's a first-round compo 1 spot after the club's first pick.
Top 5-15% of earners would make it an end of first round pick.

"Perhaps most famously, Melbourne received Pick 3 when James Frawley joined Hawthorn in 2014, but Hawthorn only received Pick 19 when Lance Franklin left for Sydney in 2013.
Both teams received first-round compensation picks, but the Hawks finished first on the ladder (and won the flag) before Buddy left, earning Pick 18. The Demons finished 17th, so their pick fell after their natural selection of Pick 2."

Yep, at the very least pick like 15 but most likely would be around 8 or something

Remove this Banner Ad

Back