Recommitted Brayden Maynard [contracted and staying at Collingwood]

Remove this Banner Ad

If Maynard is gettable and valued around pick 15 I’m sure the Hawks would be happy to give them back their second rounder and a player for him. Someone like Cousins or Howe who can’t get a regular run at it and is ready to go. Lewis is another that could be an option that I wouldn’t like to see leave.
The pies could sign up O’Brien as a RFA and we don’t match...
All would be cheap contracts and give the pies room to move inflated contracts and ageing players like Cox, Mayne and Greenwood.

.... waiting for the “lols and seriously” comments.

No offence but why would the Pies want to lose an quality AFL player who is contracted - for a second rounder and a player who can't get a game for Hawthorn?

Other clubs would and could offer a lot better currency than that.

No offence but why would the Pies want to lose an quality AFL player who is contracted - for a second rounder and a player who can't get a game for Hawthorn?

Other clubs would and could offer a lot better currency than that.
I’m not so sure about better currency options.
If a clubs keep doing a Carlton and StKilda by over playing players and paying overs in draft capital then the hole only gets deeper.
Not every player is worth a first rounder and if that value is around pick 15-18 anyway then what’s wrong with pick 21 and a player that fills a need and gives the club cap relief at the same time to target players in other positions of need the following year.
Back pocket/flankers are a dime a dozen and the Pies have enough kids that could develop in that roll IMO anyway. Even someone like Sidebottom could roll back to a back flank to be a general to a developing side. Caleb Poulter & Reef McInness are 2 players that come to mind that could become quality def/mid players that can fill that position if Maynard leaves.

If a clubs keep doing a Carlton and StKilda by over playing players and paying overs in draft capital then the hole only gets deeper.
Not every player is worth a first rounder and if that value is around pick 15-18 anyway then what’s wrong with pick 21 and a player that fills a need and gives the club cap relief at the same time to target players in other positions of need the following year.
Back pocket/flankers are a dime a dozen and the Pies have enough kids that could develop in that roll IMO anyway. Even someone like Sidebottom could roll back to a back flank to be a general to a developing side. Caleb Poulter & Reef McInness are 2 players that come to mind that could become quality def/mid players that can fill that position if Maynard leaves.

How does a player who can't get a game for Hawthorn make a difference to the Pies list?

So just because we have other players that could fill the role, we should let a 24year old, borderline AA, contracted player go for unders?

gtfo

Last edited:
Heard nothing here in Melbourne Media about this rumour.

I am not surprisingly calling BS on this and Brad Hardie.

The Pies clearly still have Salary Cap problems, but gettind rid of another very popular player amongst supporters and teammates at the Pies, and there Would be riots.

Think it's far more likely Cox will be traded or delisted, and Sidebottom will either retire or join another club (he Would be a pretty good recruit for the Suns for a year or two)

The Pies clearly still have Salary Cap problems

I’d love to know why people keep regurgitating this.

As Eddie said quite clearly on Footy Classified, we took our medicine last year. The front loading Treloar’s debt is now our major concern.

70BA5457-164A-4B6A-8140-4C11EEA7028A.jpeg

Do this same exercise with the Pies list going forward and other than Grundy, Moore, DeGoey and maybe Adams, I think you’d struggle to find a similar list of highly paid players based on estimated salaries.

As Eddie said quite clearly on Footy Classified, we took our medicine last year. The front loading Treloar’s debt is now our major concern.

View attachment 1167462

Do this same exercise with the Pies list going forward and other than Grundy, Moore, DeGoey and maybe Adams, I think you’d struggle to find a similar list of highly paid players based on estimated salaries.

Eddie also constantly says that other clubs are in deep trouble, 14 of 18 I recall him mentioning. It is bullshit.

Eddie also constantly says that other clubs are in deep trouble, 14 of 18 I recall him mentioning. It is bullshit.

I reckon you’d be surprised.

You could easily do similar lengthy lists of highly paid players at a bucketload of clubs (ie Melbourne, West Coast, Geelong, GWS etc).

IMO when you are committing such a large chunk of your cap to so few players on your list, it logically follows that you’ll be under significant cap pressure.

I reckon you’d be surprised.

You could easily do similar lengthy lists of highly paid players at a bucketload of clubs (ie Melbourne, West Coast, Geelong, GWS etc).

IMO when you are committing such a large chunk of your cap to so few players on your list, it logically follows that you’ll be under significant cap pressure.

So why have we not heard anything about those 14 of 18 clubs? We have heard about one club that has salary cap problems and had to trade players out at a net loss.

So why have we not heard anything about those 14 of 18 clubs? We have heard about one club that has salary cap problems and had to trade players out at a net loss.

Obviously this was written before several big name stars recommitted, so you’d think some clubs positions would have changed since (notably Carlton)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously this was written before several big name stars recommitted, so you’d think some clubs positions would have changed since (notably Carlton)

Tight salary cap does not equal 14 clubs in trouble mate. Clubs will always be close to the maximum.

View attachment 1167462

Mitch McGovern Jesus Christ!! salary cap bust on the horizon with that list.

you would know from experience
Hang on, wasn't it exactly your club that got done for salary cap cheating when Dennis Pagan was coaching which resulted in loss of draft picks?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210701-092312_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210701-092312_Chrome.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 72
This bloke is a great player. Don't blame him for wanting to see who the new coach is.

Deledio did that prior to Hardwick being appointed I believe?

The plot thickens. Seems like a convenient excuse to me.

Odds of Brad Hardie’s mail on Maynard to the Dees just shortened.

Why exactly? He has a year left.

Makes absolute sense he wants to know who the coach is before he re-signs.

Pretty laughable to suggest because of this, that Hardie’s mail (of all people), is correct.

Why exactly? He has a year left.

Makes absolute sense he wants to know who the coach is before he re-signs.

Pretty laughable to suggest because of this, that Hardie’s mail (of all people), is correct.

It certainly doesn’t do anything to dampen Hardie’s mail, nor quieten speculation.

Not exactly a vote of confidence in his current club.

It certainly doesn’t do anything to dampen Hardie’s mail, nor quieten speculation.

Not exactly a vote of confidence in his current club.

That a bloke a) wants to know who his coach will be & b) wants to wait until the last year of his contract to extract more $.

Not exactly revelations.

Last edited:
Such a nothing article. Just a bloke that's honouring his contract and wanting to see who the next will be at Collingwood.

Pretty simple.

Often it’s not what they say. It’s what they don’t say. And in this case what they won’t commit to.

One definitely to watch this October.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back