Recommitted Brayden Maynard [contracted and staying at Collingwood]

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Often it’s not what they say. It’s what they don’t say. And in this case what they won’t commit to.

One definitely to watch this October.

Lol.

“What they don’t say”. If that’s the case you could make up all kinds of fanciful stories on that basis.

Eg. Ben King hasn’t said he’s not coming to Collingwood so he definitely must be…

Last edited:
This bloke is a great player. Don't blame him for wanting to see who the new coach is.

Deledio did that prior to Hardwick being appointed I believe?

Would think all the Players want to see that 1st

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Gun rebounding defender, but I feel as though he could become a genuinely good midfielder if given the opportunity. I wonder IF he left if it would be in the mind of a potential suitor?

May not just be limited to teams needing defenders if he requests a move.

Dogga6

All Australian
May 11, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Often it’s not what they say. It’s what they don’t say. And in this case what they won’t commit to.

One definitely to watch this October.
Yeah nah.

Hes still contracted for another year. Even if he wanted to request a trade, Collingwood have all the power. Clubs likes Essendon and Geelong have shown they're not afraid to keep players like Daniher and Tim Kelly at the club when requesting trade with still another year left on their contract.

This thread will be worth bring up if Collingwood are in the same position this time next year.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gun rebounding defender, but I feel as though he could become a genuinely good midfielder if given the opportunity. I wonder IF he left if it would be in the mind of a potential suitor?

Yeap. Our midfield was a clear weakness this year, and our defense is probably the best in the afl if everyone is fit, and even better than Melbourne.

FB: Jeremy Howe ~ Jordan Roughead ~ Brayden Maynard
HB: Jack Crisp ~ Darcy Moore ~ Isaac Quaynor

The problem is with the departure of Treloar, Stephenson and Phillips, plus a further injury to Adams on top of that, someone had to be sacrificed from our defense to compensate for our midfield.

And that turned out to be Crisp, but if he wasn’t available it would’ve been Maynard.

Maynard has all the tools to be an elite midfielder. Contested beast, runs both ways, excellent tackler, great at extracting the ball from contests, excellent kicking penetration.

Problem is he’s just too valuable down back in that Jeremy Howe/Luke Ryan role, where he can lockdown a small/medium/even smaller KPF (Jack Riewoldt) and still deliver outstanding rebound from down back. Otherwise I definitely think he would be used as a midfielder more.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
Cant see Maynard at the crows end of this season… pies would ask for too much for him..

But can definitely see the crows asking the question of him and his manager.. set the ground work for next year when his contract ends and hes a Free agent (i believe)..

Collingwoods salary cap woes arent going away anytime soon.. they still have a lot of players they need to sign up/hold onto over the next two years..

will they be able to match a very juicy offer the crows put in front of him next year after waving it in front of his nose a few times from now until then?..

Who knows.. time will tell of course.

HFF

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern
Cant see Maynard at the crows end of this season… pies would ask for too much for him..

But can definitely see the crows asking the question of him and his manager.. set the ground work for next year when his contract ends and hes a Free agent (i believe)..

Collingwoods salary cap woes arent going away anytime soon.. they still have a lot of players they need to sign up/hold onto over the next two years..

will they be able to match a very juicy offer the crows put in front of him next year after waving it in front of his nose a few times from now until then?..

Who knows.. time will tell of course.

salary cap woes aren’t going away any time soon?
You got the lotto numbers for me to?

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I'd be wary of paying big money with the intention of converting his position. He's a proven gun defender, but complete unknown as a mid. Don't want to make the mistake Carlton did with Williams, thinking he'd be anything other than a half back

Spuddd

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
fu**...Maynard must be really sh*t if someone called Spuddd wants him gone. ;)

I thought he was actually pretty decent.
WCE could really do with another run and carry defender with a good kick. Has he gone backwards??
I think I’ve mentioned it in this thread, if not another.
He does so much good but also so much bad. His errors are glaring, you can pencil in an opposition goal from a direct turnover/mistake every single game, that’s not even an exaggeration.

I’ve also been very vocal in my disapproval of him as a player and I’m probably on one very extreme side of the conversation.

But you should know as well as anyone else, Maynard makes the right decision on Grand Final Day 2018 (I don’t think he was held) by attacking the ball - our story would be very different. That’s the impact he makes, for all the good, he also costs games.

Back