Recommitted Brayden Maynard [contracted and staying at Collingwood]

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Anyone else see this? Seems certain it’s happening. Would love this player at the Dees with Hibberd nearing the end.

Hopefully bloody not.

Under contract and one of our most important players. Would take massive overs.
And at 24 years old there would be no reason for Collingwood to let him go

FWIW I wouldn't mind him in the red & blue, kid can play

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
And at 24 years old there would be no reason for Collingwood to let him go

FWIW I wouldn't mind him in the red & blue, kid can play

He may well want out. Pies currently 16th about to undertake a mini rebuild with a new coach. Versus top of the ladder Demons. Not saying that makes it a certainty it will happen but it’s a solid reason for a player wanting to leave a club. Maynard might not be keen to do 3-4 years of hard yards with no finals as he heads into the prime of his career.

He may well want out. Pies currently 16th about to undertake a mini rebuild with a new coach. Versus top of the ladder Demons. Not saying that makes it a certainty it will happen but it’s a solid reason for a player wanting to leave a club. Maynard might not be keen to do 3-4 years of hard yards with no finals as he heads into the prime of his career.
tbh if a 24 year old who has been playing for a relatively successful team over th last few years doesn't want to hang around for a couple of years while his team rebuilds thats not the kind of player I want

Thats a ******* pea heart. If he was 28-29 I could understand it but at 24 no way

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
We are talking Melbourne here. You are just as likely to miss the 8 in 2022.

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
tbh if a 24 year old who has been playing for a relatively successful team over th last few years doesn't want to hang around for a couple of years while his team rebuilds thats not the kind of player I want

Thats a ******* pea heart. If he was 28-29 I could understand it but at 24 no way

Come off it. They’re professional footballers who get 10 years if they’re lucky to make as much coin as they can and for most a small chance to play in finals and hopefully a premiership side. Career ending injury could strike at any stage of that journey. Are Tomlinson, Hibberd, May, Lever, Langdon and others “pea hearts” because they left to play for Melbourne in their mid 20’s? No, of course they’re not. Silly comment.

Come off it. They’re professional footballers who get 10 years if they’re lucky to make as much coin as they can and for most a small chance to play in finals and hopefully a premiership side. Career ending injury could strike at any stage of that journey. Are Tomlinson, Hibberd, May, Lever, Langdon and others “pea hearts” because they left to play for Melbourne in their mid 20’s? No, of course they’re not. Silly comment.
Did you actually read what I said?

tbh if a 24 year old who has been playing for a relatively successful team over the last few years doesn't want to hang around for a couple of years while his team rebuilds thats not the kind of player I want

Now lets use your examples and compare them

Tomlinson - Wanted to return to Victoria from NSW and had been at his club for 8 years (Also left a team that had just played in a GF)
Hibberd - had just ben suspended for 12 months because of his clubs * up on governance
May - Had been at his club for 10 years without getting to double wins in a season and wanted to try and play in finals in his last 4-5 years
Lever - Wanted to return to Victoria (granted he was only at his club for 4 years) but he also left a team that just played in the grand final
Langdon Wanted to return to Victoria

Now compare that to Maynard who at 24 isn't willing to hand around for another couple of years (which would make him 26-27) after playing in a relatively successful team and will jump ship to another Victorian team

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Did you actually read what I said?

Yes. Players change clubs. It’s got nothing to do with being a “pea heart” or letting people down. On field success, money and mateship - probably in that order. That’s why they play. The rest is just noise.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Surely you are taking the piss? Probably worth a pick between 7 and 12 on its own or a late first plus a later pick in the 30 to 40s as he can shut down Toby Greene’s of the world and rebound.

Each to their own, I personally wouldn't give up a top ten pick for Maynard. That strikes me as somewhat overs. Your latter suggestion is probably around the mark

Back