Draft Profile Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 27, 2004
Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's jacuzzi
AFL Club
Carlton
2014 AFL draft a level playing field for recruiters
A robust midfielder, who loves to tackle. Others might cover the ground a little easier than him, but there is an enjoyable simplicity about the way he plays: if he's not going after the ball, he's going after the player who has it. A good kick, a competitor and a player who looks like he wants to be involved in everything.

The query: He's been working hard on his running, with how well he can cover the ground the question.
2014 AFL draft a level playing field for recruiters

Phantom draft form guide: November update
Supporters will enjoy Maynard's physical, don't-get-in-my-way attitude. A precise and penetrating left-foot kick, Maynard spent most of the year as an aggressive medium defender who stopped his man and provided run. But his end to the season, when he moved into the midfield for the Dragons' finals series and performed well, saw him rise up the draft board. He used his strength at clearances to make an impact. Maynard is combative and enjoys ruffling the feathers of his opponents - it gets him going. But it's a competitive streak that separates him from other prospects. A powerful athlete, he will need to continue to work on his running at the next level to complement his vigour with endurance.

Where does he go? Has been strongly linked to Adelaide (pick No.14), but that could be a touch too high. Carlton and Essendon may consider.
Phantom draft form guide: November update

Brayden Maynard highlights - AFL.com.au

Brayden Maynard - 2014 AFL Draft Prospect Highlights

http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-brayden-maynard/

Maynard best for Sandringham Dragons
Maynard capped off a strong year with a solid performance in the Dragons’ preliminary final.

“It was a really tough time for me when I didn’t make the final game of the national championships this season,” Maynard said on the Sandringham Dragons website.

“There was a patch in the middle of the season where I was playing inconsistent footy and I just had to get back to basics.

“I think it was extremely important for me to use the setback as motivation…the following week I ended up with a best-on-ground performance.”

Maynard finished the season on 38 votes while Brayshaw was equal-fourth on 28 votes. Tyler Roos, who hasn’t played a game for the Rovers but is registered with the club, finished eighth on 21 votes.

Maynard also won the Team Acts Award.
Maynard best for Sandringham Dragons

Playing statistics for Maynard

AFL draft combine harvester: medium defenders
Ryan O'Connor, Sandringham Dragons: "Brayden really enhanced his reputation during the finals. He was already very high credentialled but he finished off the season amazingly well in some big games, his kicking was elite and he's always been competitive so we think he's one who has really elevated himself. He doesn't have the best endurance so he'll be challenged to improve that - it's not bad but it's not elite - but his contested stuff is fantastic, he has really good game sense and because his kicking is right at the elite end it gives him a huge chance. He was able to influence games as a bottom ager last year, he's done more of that this year and when Angus Brayshaw got injured late in the year he put his had up to be captain and really rose to the occasion. He has some of those intangible characters, a real bit of spunk."
AFL draft combine harvester: medium defenders

Last edited:
Looks to me to have everything you'd want in a great small defender with his competitiveness, size, marking and kicking, but how high a pick are people willing to spend on a back pocket?

A lot of Mark Baugley ish traits in him, perhaps with a little bit more of a midfield game

Back pocket or utility slash mid like Myers, Mundy, Scharenberg, A.Walker, Fyfe, Sloane, Gibbs, etc?

Think there are a few flanker-mids in this draft who might go before Maynard.

Believe Sam Docherty and Brandon Ellis were defenders the year they were picked in the top 20.

Can see Essendon taking Ellis/Langford and Maynard to strengthen a list with more than it's fair share of ten year onballers and flankers.

Potentially a utility for either end (because he's such a good one on one footballer), but I don't see midfielder in him tbh, happy to be proven wrong though.

I'm very keen on some pace, which is why I'm not as keen on Maynard as I am on others

• Banned
Meet Brayden Maynard
Late in the season that toughness was on display as a midfielder, having shifted up the ground for the Dragons in the absence of injured skipper Angus Brayshaw.

Maynard (186cm, 88kg) played the role perfectly, using his speed (he's tested 2.98 seconds over 20 metres), poise and foot skills to make a difference with the ball, and his contested ball-winning ability to rip it out of packs.

In the last two finals for the Dragons he averaged 25 disposals and 11 handball receives, showing a step up in his ability to cover the ground. Across the season for the Dragons he averaged 22 disposals.

At the national combine he ran a 13.3 beep test, and 11:13 for the three-kilometre time trial. If he can lift those numbers up a few notches he'll be able to compete for longer and longer.
Meet Brayden Maynard

http://www.afl.com.au/video?guid=705231

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back