Player Watch Brayden Sier (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got Sier at pick 32.

Even with the benefit of hindsight, is there a KPF or KPD who has proven themself yet, to a point that we could/should have got them instead of Sier at pick 32 in the 2015 draft? (Maybe there is, I dunno ...)

I questioned the Sier pick pretty harshly, as someone who has a keen interest in the draft, he was considered someone that would go with a later pick (maybe even in the rookie draft). You're right in saying no KPP player has proven himself but in hindsight you see that we could've been having a very different conversation. Marcus Adams (could be argued he has proven himself), Blake Hardwick (small defender), Sam Collins and Wylie Buzza. Jack Silvangi went as Essendon bid with pick 53 (carlton probaly would've been unable to match our pick 32 I think?). None of these players have 100% proven themselves and aren't bonifide stars just yet, however all have shown potential at the AFL level.

Last edited:
We got Sier at pick 32.

Even with the benefit of hindsight, is there a KPF or KPD who has proven themself yet, to a point that we could/should have got them instead of Sier at pick 32 in the 2015 draft? (Maybe there is, I dunno ...)
It's interesting to go back to the draft and see what came after, nothing if note.
So it was just a point made without the full weight of detail.
Because if there is not much after his pick, hardly matters does it?

Tom Phillips is probably the best to follow the Sier pick.

I questioned the Sier pick pretty harshly, as someone who has a keen interest in the draft, he was considered someone that would go with a later pick (maybe even in the rookie draft). You're right in saying no KPP player has proven himself but in hindsight you see that we could've been having a very different conversation. Marcus Adams (could be argued he has proven himself), Blake Hardwick (small defender), Sam Collins and Wylie Buzza. Jack Silvangi went as Essendon bid with pick 53 (carlton probaly would've been unable to match our pick 32 I think?). None of these players have 100% proven themselves and aren't bonifide stars just yet, however all have shown potential at the AFL level.
The afl draft guy on SEN, Anderson, was adamant that Sier was going to be picked around where he was by a few clubs, so we pulled the trigger first.
May not work out,but that's the history of that pick according to Anderson.

Agreed - it's very early days on this draft but it doesn't look all that great.

Sier still has plenty of time, i know it's unfashionable to be patient in this era of instant gratification, but in this context you often have to be.
It's his size that makes him intriguing.
But your point about instant gratification is well made.

Imagine what we'd do if we picked a Dane Swan just last draft. They'd be saying, Collingwood is so crap, they picked a fat waddler who should be playing for Port Melbourne.

It's his size that makes him intriguing.
But your point about instant gratification is well made.

Imagine what we'd do if we picked a Dane Swan just last draft. They'd be saying, Collingwood is so crap, they picked a fat waddler who should be playing for Port Melbourne.
This is the team that has been assembled by the new coach after winning a Premiership and being runners up.
This is the team that the CEO said would be playing final/challenging by now.
Instant gratification?
Maybe we have been told to expect that gratification.
Maybe we swallowed the whole bit about only the best for Collingwood.
Maybe Sier will make it.
Maybe those picked after him will make it.
But right now he is a list clogger.

This is the team that has been assembled by the new coach after winning a Premiership and being runners up.
This is the team that the CEO said would be playing final/challenging by now.
Instant gratification?
Maybe we have been told to expect that gratification.
Maybe we swallowed the whole bit about only the best for Collingwood.
Maybe Sier will make it.
Maybe those picked after him will make it.
But right now he is a list clogger.
Ok, that's your view.
Got it. :thumbsu:

Don't think selection at 32 was overly wrong, but watching him on the weekend he was just floating around in hope the ball would come out to him, not trying to win his own ball or influence a contest.

Last edited:
I think he will develop in a similar manner to De Goey as a third tall that plays through the middle early days but when he develops his tank he will become exclusively a midfielder.

At 191cm and a 2.92 20m sprint he is obviously a freak! He also has excellent foot skills to go with his raw power. Still only 19, I have high hopes for this kid. I have no problem with the club being conservative with his development.

I think he will develop in a similar manner to De Goey as a third tall that plays through the middle early days but when he develops his tank he will become exclusively a midfielder.

At 191cm and a 2.92 20m sprint he is obviously a freak! He also has excellent foot skills to go with his raw power. Still only 19, I have high hopes for this kid. I have no problem with the club being conservative with his development.
The 2 main things that have to happen for him to succeed this get his body right and learn to win his own ball.

It doesn't have to be forward exactly like De Goey. Young players can learn things just as well in defensive roles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many times has he used that "freak speed" to burst away from a pack? How many times has he used that "huge frame" to smash open a pack and rip the ball out? All he does is hover around packs and get a few handballs. Really.

How many times has he used that "freak speed" to burst away from a pack? How many times has he used that "huge frame" to smash open a pack and rip the ball out? All he does is hover around packs and get a few handballs. Really.
It will come grasshopper, just be patient!

Plenty have made a career out of hovering on the edge of packs, but most of those are good ball users by foot. Not sure if it's aggression, confidence or a bit of both that's stopping Sier getting more involved. Injuries and inexperience are obviously a factor here, so I'd give him another year to see if can add these to take his game to the next level.

It's interesting to go back to the draft and see what came after, nothing if note.
So it was just a point made without the full weight of detail.
Because if there is not much after his pick, hardly matters does it?

Tom Phillips is probably the best to follow the Sier pick.
I can live with that what I can't live with is keeping him on the list for 4-5 years hoping he comes good. 2 years on I've seen enough.

Silvagni is a ripper

I can live with that what I can't live with is keeping him on the list for 4-5 years hoping he comes good. 2 years on I've seen enough.
At his price, why not?
If you can find people of his size, what's another year.
No brainer for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back