Player Watch Brayden Sier (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He managed 9 goals in the first 4 games, but has 4 goals over the past 5 games. His 3 against the Lions flatters these numbers, and combined with the considerable drop in his clearance numbers I'd say that his form has waned over the past 4-5 weeks.
If you subtract the productive games from any forward, their stats are going to look ordinary. If you take out the games where Degoey has kicked 5 goals or more, he's only averaging xxx goals per game. Therefore...

If you subtract the productive games from any forward, their stats are going to look ordinary. If you take out the games where Degoey has kicked 5 goals or more, he's only averaging xxx goals per game. Therefore...

I know, and I'm not looking to deny him credit for the Brisbane performance...I'm just trying to illustrate that (the Brisbane game included) his output in the last 4 or so weeks has decreased quite significantly from the start of the season.

Last edited:
Like to Sier come in this week. Of course he's not a straight swap for Fas, and would require some moving around of the deck chairs. But why not let him do what he does in the VFL, and see if it works at senior level? Despite our much vaunted midfield, we are not exactly winning clearances ATM. Put the bear in there (Playschool anyone?:)) and see what happens. As FAIRANDBALANCED noted above, Sier could be one of those players who performs better with more quality around him. We wont know until we try.

First time I've seen him play and actually noticed him. Very, very clever with his hands, finds time and space in congestion too. Seems to come across as a guy who will be suited playing with better players. Excited to see him debut (reckon it will be this week for an injured or rested mid).

Having said all this, I can see why he hasn't gotten a game yet. Very offensive, little accountability (didn't his man have 35 too??) and while surging through stoppages in the number 36 is absolutely awesome to see again, not sure he actually had that many really effective clearances.

They are clearly trying to build his tank too, played a heap of the game and it was all in the guts. Will need to work doubly hard to get his fitness to an AFL mid standard from here.

Pretty exciting though...played like a 200 game player (and kind of looked like one too!!)

Agree with all of that other than the effective clearances. I thought some of his handball around the stoppages was laser like and found options that just didn't seem available, putting teammates into the clear. Given the congested nature of the game I thought it was telling.

He seems to have built an impressive tank, covered a fair bit of ground today. He's surprisingly quick over 10-20 metres. Most impressive for me is that he's holding onto the ball a lot more than he has in the past, taking some time to find the best option.

He's demanding selection, but his demand begs the question: Who does he replace? He might have to wait a bit longer, but if teams like Sydney and Hawthorn can have players dwell in the twos for a bit, so can we I suppose.

Mayne

Lol to all those who think Sier should come in this week.
Am I missing something here.
I just checked our injury list and Blair is not on it.
You know what I'm getting at.
Blair will be the carry over player.
That’s a roll that suits as a young player may as well play VFL. Blair can cope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a fan. I'm still not sure he is 100% ready for AFL yet though. Wouldn't be opposed to seeing him come into the side while we have a strong midfield around him for guidance.
Best way to learn.

Pendlebury, Wells, Treloar, and that new bull De Goey.

Be nice for him to learn from them.
Also be great when De Goey starts also leading on field by his example. He’s something

Blair will be the carry over player.
That’s a roll that suits as a young player may as well play VFL. Blair can cope.

We play Friday night so there won't be a carry over player.

I'm a fan. I'm still not sure he is 100% ready for AFL yet though. Wouldn't be opposed to seeing him come into the side while we have a strong midfield around him for guidance.

Yep, this. Performing well at VFL so far this year but that doesn't mean we need to rush him into the seniors. Could do worse than replace Faz with Sier but could just as easily look at McLarty or Daicos.

I think we'll look at an extra tall for structural reasons so it'll likely come down to a choice of Reid (if fit), McLarty, or Mihocek. I'm not sure Reid is ready so I'd personally like to see McLarty given a crack. He's quick, can take a grab, can kick a goal, has some mongrel, and has good form over the last few weeks.

Sier's time will come.

Sier.jpg
He is certainly improving but I'm still not completely sold.

Looked as if he was still carrying a bit of weight, although that could be due to role he is expected to play
I've kept a very close eye on him. He is not carrying weight. That is all muscle. If he doesn't get a game this week he never will.

Certainly not carrying weight but the muscle is still a work in progress. There was a picture of Jack Darling in the weekend papers and that is all muscle. Sier is still young and hasn't had the preseasons in the gym Darling has so not a worry and certainly a vast improvement even from last season.

Certainly not carrying weight but the muscle is still a work in progress. There was a picture of Jack Darling in the weekend papers and that is all muscle. Sier is still young and hasn't had the preseasons in the gym Darling has so not a worry and certainly a vast improvement even from last season.

And that video of him kickboxing in Thailand in the off season is evidence that he's dedicated to his fitness and getting his body right.

And that video of him kickboxing in Thailand in the off season is evidence that he's dedicated to his fitness and getting his body right.

Exactly, won't be long before we see the sort of definition in the arms and shoulders. Already really strong through the core which enables him to stand up in tackles. Will be an absolute beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back