Player Watch Brayden Sier (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

He will be eligible for the rising star award next year, unless he plays more than 2 finals.
Potentially 2 rising star winners in 2 years.

Turns 21 in December. I thought that made him too old for RS consideration in 2019.

He will be eligible for the rising star award next year, unless he plays more than 2 finals.
Potentially 2 rising star winners in 2 years.
Alas no, turns 21 pre January 1 2019 so misses eligibility

2015 Draft doesn't look like a great one.

Pies with Phillips and Sier might be the big winners in a couple years time.

Best mid in that current draft is Oliver and the second would be a toss of the coin between Hopper, Phillips and Dunkley.

Best mid in that current draft is Oliver and the second would be a toss of the coin between Hopper, Phillips and Dunkley.

Oliver is well in front at the moment. He is going to be top shelf. But there is still plenty of talent. Curnow, Hipwood, Doedee for a start.

Long way to go. At one stage Daisy would have arguably been top pick in his draft, now he would be considered well off the pace.

Need to wait 10 years before you can really assess a draft. Some player burn brightly early then fade (Thomas), others are more slow burns (Swanny). Others are guns from early on and just keep going (Pendles).

Oliver is well in front at the moment. He is going to be top shelf. But there is still plenty of talent. Curnow, Hipwood, Doedee for a start.

Long way to go. At one stage Daisy would have arguably been top pick in his draft, now he would be considered well off the pace.

Need to wait 10 years before you can really assess a draft. Some player burn brightly early then fade (Thomas), others are more slow burns (Swanny). Others are guns from early on and just keep going (Pendles).

Swanny was a 'slow burn'? :O

Been watching a few games from 04-05 recently and even knowing what he was to become it's hard seeing how. Whilst he did show a number of things there's not much that screamed out that said he'd be elite. Obviously he had fitness/commitment levels and didn't have the work ethic, even at the start of games I didn't see anything resembling speed or burst. He definitely picked up a yard of pace in his later years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? Mills, Parish, Milera, Hipwood, Curnow, Rioli, Doedee, Burton and Gresham all inside the top 20 looks pretty good to me! Then there’s the likes of Himmleburg, McKay, Ah Chee and Fiorini that look good things to make it. You yourself were talking up Schache all of a week ago...

Really? Mills, Parish, Milera, Hipwood, Curnow, Rioli, Doedee, Burton and Gresham all inside the top 20 looks pretty good to me! Then there’s the likes of Himmleburg, McKay, Ah Chee and Fiorini that look good things to make it. You yourself were talking up Schache all of a week ago...

Sam Menegola not a bad way to spend pick 66...

Sier certainly looks a good pick in the the 2015 draft when you look what's around him. He's like baby superman sitting in the middle of a barren crater. That's the genius of Hine. Picking the roses out from amongst the thorns late in the draft.

Adams, Cole, Bonner and Hardwick all taken within the next 15 picks have all shown a lot more than Sier to this point. Three of them have RS nominations with a minimum of 1 season of footy under their belt and the 4th would have been nominated if eligible in his first season.

Adams, Cole, Bonner and Hardwick all taken within the next 15 picks have all shown a lot more than Sier to this point. Three of them have RS nominations with a minimum of 1 season of footy under their belt and the 4th would have been nominated if eligible in his first season.

I'm more than happy to book-end those names you mention with Sier at 32 and Philips at 58. Would you take any of the four you mentioned over Sier? I'd also take Phillips over them.

I'm more than happy to book-end those names you mention with Sier at 32 and Philips at 58. Would you take any of the four you mentioned over Sier? I'd also take Phillips over them.

Yeah I'd definitely take Sier ahead of those as of right now, Phillips is on a par/probably ahead. Certainly Hine's cred has come back in spades with the recruitment of Stephenson and the development of others. Also the Murray trade is not too bad either, but could be a masterstroke.

What a good draft from 2015 also means is the real cost of Treloar would be greatly diminished. If Sier and Phillips are the result of picking the eyes out of that draft, than on revising of the Treloar trade it was a bargain too.

I've always said the best recruiters are at Collingwood and the Dogs, still maintain that.

Last edited:

Thinking my slow burn definition must be a bit different...
I think of a candle that just kinda burns not super brightly, but lasts a while. Swanny certainly burned brightly, and that was sustained throughout about 6 years of dominant football.
Probably the reverse Thomas in some ways. Swanny started slow, but then ramped up to be one of the 'brightest burners' we've seen in the past 50 years. Including a brown low, multiple AA and Copelands, HS player of the year, etc.

Anyways, I could definitely see Sier being like Swanny.

It’s a difficult discussion given inherent biases, but making the call right now I’d take Adams and Hardwick over Sier with Cole a 50/50 call. We then have to consider the role of development and HP. I think my main issue is with placing Hine on a pedestal when hits are scattered throughout the draft. Case in point we overlooked Menegola 4 times and even had the pick before he was taken. BTW I’m as pleased with our haul in 2015 as I am every year. This is separate to that.

It’s a difficult discussion given inherent biases, but making the call right now I’d take Adams and Hardwick over Sier with Cole a 50/50 call. We then have to consider the role of development and HP. I think my main issue is with placing Hine on a pedestal when hits are scattered throughout the draft. Case in point we overlooked Menegola 4 times and even had the pick before he was taken. BTW I’m as pleased with our haul in 2015 as I am every year. This is separate to that.
Wow. There's no way I would consider any of those players (except maybe Adams because of our needs) over Sier. Yes, they are all better performed to date as they have played more games but I'm happy to stick with Sier as being a better player in the long run. By a fair margin too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back