Player Watch Brayden Sier (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think he doesn't really know how to play his position. Doesn't hunt the footy. Just stamds around waiting for it to come to him. He got away with it last year because our mids, Adams in particular, were on fire.

The solution for that surely is more game time in the seniors. Learning to hunt the ball in the VFL doesn’t translate to much as we see every time Wills and Crocker get called up.

I di
The solution for that surely is more game time in the seniors. Learning to hunt the ball in the VFL doesn’t translate to much as we see every time Wills and Crocker get called up.
I disagree. Getting on the move to try to pounce on the ball is the same at any level. Its much harder to het tje footy in the AFL, but the action is the same. Until he starts doing it at VFL, he shouldn't play AFL. I'm not talking about stats, I'm talking about movement.

I find it ironic that posters are crying out for fresh blood and getting experience into young players. Yet almost in the same sentence these posters are calling for second year players who have had multiple setbacks to be dropped when their form isn’t at the required level. And that’s despite injuries and no obvious replacement!

Collingwood made a grand final last year partly because Buckley had faith in the likes of Langdon Maynard Crisp and even Cox (although his circumstances are different). He should have faith in Sier too. And so should the fans.

Anyone else noticed towards the end of games he plays as a forward?

Lack of fitness, last year he was playing 75% game time which is very low.

Seems to be the kind of player who would need a big pre season but injuries this year would’ve hurt that.

Pretty much every other year he has been at the club his been sick or injured so he’s never been able to build a fitness base.

I find it ironic that posters are crying out for fresh blood and getting experience into young players. Yet almost in the same sentence these posters are calling for second year players who have had multiple setbacks to be dropped when their form isn’t at the required level. And that’s despite injuries and no obvious replacement!

Collingwood made a grand final last year partly because Buckley had faith in the likes of Langdon Maynard Crisp and even Cox (although his circumstances are different). He should have faith in Sier too. And so should the fans.
I'm not a poster who's crying out for youngsters. I think they should play VFL until theyre ready and have their confidence right up. Obviously we have to play a couple due to injuries.

I'm not a poster who's crying out for youngsters. I think they should play VFL until theyre ready and have their confidence right up. Obviously we have to play a couple due to injuries.

Fair enough despite you and I disagreeing on this issue I respect your opinions.

My comments about irony were more general and I shouldn’t have pointed them at you specifically

He's the worst type of passenger because not only does he do little on the ground but he's so unfit he needs extra breaks on the bunch which of course mean other mids have to have less and their workload goes up...

Give Tyler Brown a crack and see if Sier finds some hunger for his career in the VFL.

Suspect he'll be traded at the end of the year.

I’d be trading him. I think he has some currency and gives us the opportunity to either move up the draft of get a good player exchange.

I'm all for blooding younger players - particularly when the side is performing poorly with limited current year outlook or flying and winning. We are in a position however that we are struggling and needing to win to secure a top 4 spot let alone a top 2 spot to avoid September interstate finals. That being the case we need to pick the side each week that is most likely to win that week. That side currently doesn't include Sier. It may or may not include (for example) Daicos but there is only 1 way to find out. Until Sier shows much better form then I'd rather play Daicos for a couple of weeks at least to see what he might add or play someone in form in the VFL that isn't a fully developed non AFL standard player (eg Wills).

The reality is it's slim picking in the VFL. We lack quality depth and with the outs we have there isn't much to call on. Tyler Brown doesn't look ready. Daicos is probably worth a go. I'm not sure who else we can call up unless we play Goldsack or Sharenberg and move Aish up the ground. I'm far from sold on Sharenberg though. The regard in which he is held on this board is not justified by his performances at any point let alone since recent knee injury recovery.

I’d be trading him. I think he has some currency and gives us the opportunity to either move up the draft of get a good player exchange.
I'd consider it for a very good deal. In a package to get a top 5 pick. Otherwise I'd be working hard on his shortfalls for another year. A full pre season might be significant for him.

Even from a balance perspective we've got too many his pace, we need to sprinkle a quick or two through the guts

I think with most of us supporters, it is just incredibly frustrating to see a young man who obviously has so much talent and natural ability and who gave us all a glimpse of what is possible last season, perform so poorly when given his chance this season.

Also, regardless of setbacks and given the length of time he has been on our list, it is equally frustrating to see that he has apparently not been able to build up his fitness, durability or endurance.

May just have gone from 'Future of this Club' to 'Playing for his Career' in the space of a handful of games this season. He is now looking very much like a 'natural' in the development leagues, who doesn't want to do the hard work required to go all the way and make it at the highest level.

Was so excited about this kid last year, so deeply disappointed in him so far this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm all for blooding younger players - particularly when the side is performing poorly with limited current year outlook or flying and winning. We are in a position however that we are struggling and needing to win to secure a top 4 spot let alone a top 2 spot to avoid September interstate finals. That being the case we need to pick the side each week that is most likely to win that week. That side currently doesn't include Sier. It may or may not include (for example) Daicos but there is only 1 way to find out. Until Sier shows much better form then I'd rather play Daicos for a couple of weeks at least to see what he might add or play someone in form in the VFL that isn't a fully developed non AFL standard player (eg Wills).

The reality is it's slim picking in the VFL. We lack quality depth and with the outs we have there isn't much to call on. Tyler Brown doesn't look ready. Daicos is probably worth a go. I'm not sure who else we can call up unless we play Goldsack or Sharenberg and move Aish up the ground. I'm far from sold on Sharenberg though. The regard in which he is held on this board is not justified by his performances at any point let alone since recent knee injury recovery.

Very.

Jack Madgen, Mark Keane, Matt Scharenberg, Josh Daicos, Rupert Wills, Tim Broomhead, Tom Wilson, Tyson Goldsack, Atu Bosenavulagi, Max Lynch, Anton Tohill, Tyler Brown, and John Noble were the senior/rookie listed players named for the VFL side last weekend and Noble ended up not playing. Those highlighted have yet to taste senior action.

Elliott, Thomas and Murphy may all return this week but that's offset by losing Aish and potentially Mayne.

Even from a balance perspective we've got too many his pace, we need to sprinkle a quick or two through the guts

Sier is actually pretty quick. Treloar would be just about the only regular mid quicker and even that's a questionable call with his drop off in top end pace this year. The issue is his judicious application of that pace.

Sier is actually pretty quick. Treloar would be just about the only regular mid quicker and even that's a questionable call with his drop off in top end pace this year. The issue is his judicious application of that pace.
He's ok for his size but certainly not 'a quick'

We were crying out for his type when Adams was crocked and Sier was stuck in the VFL. With Adams back now, does he alone fill that need? Personally I hope we persevere with Sier in the senior team
I think you'll be disappointed at 6.30 tonight. I don't think there is a hope in hell that he plays seniors this week.

Has recorded a 2.92 second 20m sprint time so that definitely puts him at the pointy end in terms of pace. And that was without the exposure to the elite junior programs others have had.

When has Sier actually used his pace to run down tackle someone? Or break away from the pack?

Has he EVER done that? Even in the VFL?

He's a fast hulk of a unit who just sits outside the pack like a seagull, it doesn't make sense.

When has Sier actually used his pace to run down tackle someone? Or break away from the pack?

He's a fast hulk of a unit who just sits outside the pack like a seagull, it doesn't make sense.

There was 1 instance last year where he ran down a player and won a free, might have been against North, where I thought "yes, finally!". He's also shown a capacity to run forward of, or with, the footy at pace. His early games last year we saw a bit of that explosiveness away from congestion. That's it. That's all I've got.

I think he needs a run in the vfl but calling him a seagull is pretty harsh. Over half of his possessions are contested, which I think is a higher proportion than any of our other mids.

Confidence! At the moment he appears to have too much fear of failure and is thus reactive rather than proactive. It's probably part of his general make up, but he can improve. At the moment he's got most of the tools to be a gun imid, but he doesn't have the psyche. He sits back hesitantly, rather than hunting the footy. He reminds me of Aish of the previous two years. No physical fear, but a lack of initiative due to a fear of failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back