Player Watch Brayden Sier (Delisted 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
When has Sier actually used his pace to run down tackle someone? Or break away from the pack?

Has he EVER done that? Even in the VFL?

He's a fast hulk of a unit who just sits outside the pack like a seagull, it doesn't make sense.

It’s just confidence, knowing when to sit out and knowing when to play stacks on the mill.

He's not the type I'm talking about anyway
Quick is a confusing word in footy discussions. To some a quick player is simply someone who can run fast. To others it's about whether the player likes to run with the footy. To others it's about how quick their decision making is. Tom Langdon, for example, varies from quick to slow to glacially slow, depending on how you use the word.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's lovely, but I'm talking about a line breaker, and he's not, we need a scorcher or two

Those line breakers to whom I assume you refer generally record 20m sprint times in the low 2.80's or extremely rarely sub 2.80s, so he's not far off that pace. I recall Aiden Bonar (for example) recorded the 2nd fastest 20m sprint time at his combine year with a 2.90s.

That you choose to deny it doesn't make it any less the reality.

That's lovely, but I'm talking about a line breaker, and he's not, we need a scorcher or two
We've got one of the best around, but we don't use him that way anymore. For some reason, Treloar's shifted from running to receive handballs to break the lines to running to drop into holes forward of the ball to receive short passes.

Last edited:

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Quick is a confusing word in footy discussions. To some a quick player is simply someone who can run fast. To others it's about whether the player likes to run with the footy. To others it's about how quick their decision making is. Tom Langdon, for example, varies from quick to slow to glacially slow, depending on how you use the word.
Quick is as quick does as my dear ole Gran would say

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
We've got one of the best around, but we don't use him that way anymore. For some reason, Treloar's shifted from running to receive handballs to break the lines to running to drop into holes forward of the ball to receive short passes.
Need another one or two

grayza2018

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2017
The Cottage
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
I think you'll be disappointed at 6.30 tonight. I don't think there is a hope in hell that he plays seniors this week.
I can live with that, it's the reason I'm here sprouting an opinion! As much as I'd like to see him play, if match committee see otherwise I'll live with that and cheer the boys on tomorrow night

I think he’s plenty quick, but that counts for little if he’s continually hands on hips gasping for air.

In the meantime he’s torn a formstring, possibly right off the bone.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think he’s plenty quick, but that counts for little if he’s continually hands on hips gasping for air.

So he is unavailable then yeah?

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

I think now we know why it took him so long to get into the team when we were all screaming for it. He hasn't reached his 2018 form at all. Not a factor out there this year.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

If only we could surgically repair a formstring. Then we could argue about whether he should have gone in for surgery straight away.

Everyone is too soft these days. If he were a horse he would be getting a dose of the crop long before now and if that didn't work the nice men with a big truck would have come.

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

What a great and entertaining turn of phrase you have. You summed it up perfectly. Well played, Sir. (Which is more than we can say for Sier).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
As has been the case in the 2nd half of this year, the reporting on our injuries has been horrible. I have no idea how serious this latest 'calf' set-back is.

Either way, he has had a horrid year with niggling injuries, and just hasn't got himself going. I think last year is the best indication of how good he can be with a full pre-season.

But his tank and fitness is a huge issue, and if this latest set-back is a 3-4 week injury, then it's hard to see him being available for finals because it will take him a few weeks to build back up. Might be one we just need to shelve for this year and build his pre-season for a big 2020 (provided he stays)

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
In relation to the quick debate...I think he has a very good turn of speed, but it's only over very short distances...and his lack of endurance probably means we don't see him at top speed often enough.

i think long-term he will be quick in the same manner someone like a Josh Kennedy is quick....not in the sense of straight-line speed, but more in the sense of explosion from a stoppage. Ultimately, that's his role. It's where he has the wood over Rupert Wills because he doesn't have that explosion from a stoppage.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
All i know big bodied mid fielder
Correct, probably blown his last chance with us, Essendon interested but with application queries over him not sure what we'd get for him, they have the quicks to compliment him so we might do all right

Looking like a lost year for Sier. And Murphy. Add in the other perennially injured and suspended and we have had a senior list of about 30 for most of the year.

It’s impossible to contend with that.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Looking like a lost year for Sier. And Murphy. Add in the other perennially injured and suspended and we have had a senior list of about 30 for most of the year.

It’s impossible to contend with that.
9 years straight, at least 2 flag chances gone begging, but lets just keep calling it bad luck and move on to the next lost flag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back