Player Watch Brayden Sier (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Sier was crucial in the third term when we got our run on. He had a clearing hand pass at half back that led to a chain of clean possessions and a goal. Then the clearance just before the end of the quarter that led to Camerons goal. He isn't a prolific ball winner but he is pretty impactful. I reckon he tried really hard tonight, didn't coast, which is a knock.
He’s not a low possession player either though. In a full length game those 16 disposals could become 20. The 23 he had last week could become 26-27. I think with some more confidence and experience he could become a solid accumulator.

Took a while to get going and I think he may have struggled to back up, saw him blowing quite a bit out there, even early. Got better as the game wore on but needs to keep building.

Took a while to get going and I think he may have struggled to back up, saw him blowing quite a bit out there, even early. Got better as the game wore on but needs to keep building.
He’s lazy that’s his issue, he should be embarrassed that older players who have been carrying a much greater load out grunted him tonight. He should protecting our blue chip players in this environment, he’s slow to the contest he’s slow to tackle and chase. He’s lazy, and yes he may have struggled to back up but why isn’t he fitter?! Because he’s lazy.

he better realise quick smart that it’s either perform or you’re out on your arse DJing or whatever the f he wants to waste his time doing. Underperforming players that have left the club for greener pastures have not faired well in the past. That’s because we have the best system, and if he can’t perform for us he will perform nowhere!

Did anyone see that moment in the last where he kinda just decided to not put pressure on that Adelaide player in the middle of the ground? I still like him in the side because he's talented as hell, but I hope somehow Bucks didn't see it because that's the sort of stuff that's kept him out.

The Sier clearance that set up Cameron’s goal on 3QT siren was sublime and something that we have been desperately needing. He hit the contest at speed, plucked the ball cleanly, pivoted sharply and drilled it long and direct to Cameron’s advantage. It was the play of the match and is exactly why he needs to remain in the team, notwithstanding his limitations, which he must continue to work on. He brings something valuable and unique. Go Bear!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He's still building, and I thought that was another decent performance. Loved that clearance on 3QT

But as others have mentioned, there are still a few things there in his game that need working on

I don't know if he is going to develop into the player we are hoping, but he should play each and every week for the rest of the season to find out. He definitely adds a lot from stoppages and he is a good clearance player. But the rest of his game has a long way to go. I think he has been pretty handy in the past 2 games anyway.

For mine Sier isn’t lazy he lacks resilience. I think as soon as something goes wrong he switches off.

You hear about the power of work he put in in Thailand in the 17/18 off season and then he is back there in 18/19. At this point in time everything the club releases publicly is positive about him. He then picks up that injury in the early pre-season game against Melbourne and 2019 goes down hill quickly.

Also people talk about his kick to handball ratio. I don’t see that as an issue. He doesn’t really collect much of the footy away from the contest at the moment due to his tank lacking. When he wins first possession handballing is often the best option. I feel when he can build up that level of match fitness he will get more of the footy in the open and start to use it by foot more

Perhaps Wills is fooling me into thinking he's a better player by the appearance of his attack and effort, but I'm yet to understand how so many people seem to rate Sier over Wills. At-least Wills lays some great tackles and shows some desperation at times. Sier appears kind of disinterested to me.

Their disposal appears to be equally as poor to me. The stats may tell a different story (haven't looked at them) but Sier's decision making and kicking really doesn't appear to be any better than Wills from what I've seen.

I also think that while Wills worst is indeed pretty poor that his best games have been far better than Sier's best games. Wills has genuinely had a big impact in a handful of games last year and early this year while I cant recall Sier ever having any great influence in a game.

Either way, I think they're still fighting for the same spot and have obviously only played their only game in the same senior side due to injuries.

That being said, Wills form in his last few games before getting dropped a few weeks ago was very poor and Sier deserves to take that spot in the midfield for a while to see what he can do. Thus far I'm not overly impressed though. He's not terrible, but he's hardly some massive upgrade on Wills either. Far from it. I'm still desperately hoping to see what so many others do in Sier. I've still yet to see it.

Sier's 2018 and last week against Sydney was better then any game i've seen wills play

I think it's pretty clear he has the talent and can see why Hine took a punt on him with little access to any real proven pathways apart form his schoolboy contributions at Marcellin, I couldn't put my hand on my heart and say he is totally committed but I don't know they guy and what happens behind the scenes. The fact is he has been behind Wills gives me the feeling something is not quite right either deficiencies he needs to work on or purely attitude., A little unfair to Wills because he does look like he's 100% invested.

I am hoping the more time in will be a positive and think he will get improve with better players around him (notably SP)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps Wills is fooling me into thinking he's a better player by the appearance of his attack and effort, but I'm yet to understand how so many people seem to rate Sier over Wills. At-least Wills lays some great tackles and shows some desperation at times. Sier appears kind of disinterested to me.

Their disposal appears to be equally as poor to me. The stats may tell a different story (haven't looked at them) but Sier's decision making and kicking really doesn't appear to be any better than Wills from what I've seen.

You should consider that the primary role of an inside midfielder is clearances. Thats what they are there for. Win the footy in the pack, get the ball into the hands of an outside mid who has the skills or pace to hurt the opposition. This is where Sier has it all over Wills. 14 clearances in 3 games vs 19 in 7. Averaging less then 3 clearances per game as an inside player is a pretty miserable return. Sure Wills is great at tackling, makes it difficult for the opposition, but its like a forward who cant kick goals or a ruckman who doesn't win taps...being poor at your primary role is a significant defect.

So why is Sier better at clearances? Two factors: firstly Wills is a fumbler, the number of times he might have won a clearance but fumbled has me tearing my hair out. Sier on the other hand is pretty clean. Secondly, I cant possibly agree with you that Sier's disposal is poor and no better than Wills. Its much better, Sier is quite a long penetrating kick when he gets the chance as we saw at the end of the 3rd Q, he also has much better vision in hand passing to advantage.

That play on the 3qt siren just shows what we’re missing. We’ve got the best ruck in the Comp but lack that chemistry or personnel to capitalize on it and get a quick kick into a spacious forward line . Instead we usually fumble our way into 50 and by the time the ball arrives the forward line is already congested. Eagles Definetly capitalise on it

He just needs game time - should be played every week ahead of Wills. His inside work is super and is a young guy with plenty of size so will be super important in the next few years.
Agree, work ethic seems to be what's holding him back. I do feel we have seen the best of Wills but have we seen the best of Sier, I think no.

That play on the 3qt siren just shows what we’re missing. We’ve got the best ruck in the Comp but lack that chemistry or personnel to capitalize on it and get a quick kick into a spacious forward line . Instead we usually fumble our way into 50 and by the time the ball arrives the forward line is already congested. Eagles Definetly capitalise on it

This moment highlighted his good footy instinct rather than chemistry with the ruckman as it was Adelaide who won the tap and he sharked a handball from Crouch. However, he does have a great footy brain and seems to know where the ball is going

A frustrating footballer in many ways, which must incense the coaches given his potential. But the quick connection between his brain, his hands and the ball is something. Those handballs to advantage.:fire:

You should consider that the primary role of an inside midfielder is clearances. Thats what they are there for. Win the footy in the pack, get the ball into the hands of an outside mid who has the skills or pace to hurt the opposition. This is where Sier has it all over Wills. 14 clearances in 3 games vs 19 in 7. Averaging less then 3 clearances per game as an inside player is a pretty miserable return. Sure Wills is great at tackling, makes it difficult for the opposition, but its like a forward who cant kick goals or a ruckman who doesn't win taps...being poor at your primary role is a significant defect.

So why is Sier better at clearances? Two factors: firstly Wills is a fumbler, the number of times he might have won a clearance but fumbled has me tearing my hair out. Sier on the other hand is pretty clean. Secondly, I cant possibly agree with you that Sier's disposal is poor and no better than Wills. Its much better, Sier is quite a long penetrating kick when he gets the chance as we saw at the end of the 3rd Q, he also has much better vision in hand passing to advantage.

Why is Sier better at clearances? BECAUSE he gets there first, he hits the ball at speed and he forces an exit.
Why is Wills better at tackling? BECAUSE he gets there second, he is slow, reactive and looks for body contact to try and extract the ball from others.

I like the fact Sier has some very un-Collingwood traits such as a penetrating kick.

I also think he was terrific when Cameron was in the ruck last night. I'd like to see Cameron play in the ruck with Sier at his feet when Grundy is at some stage rested. Grundy will need a break at some point this season.

Sier's clearance work last night was very good and I think he will get better with more game time and some continuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back