Player Watch Brayden Sier (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phillips hardly played last year, Mayne is past it. We need to inject some young blokes in
We need them to be able to cover serious kms though. Longer quarters, less rotations and faster footy. Running ability is going to be massively more important than last year and we're playing Sier and Jordy in the midfield.

What I find mind boggling is that we've played him solely in the midfield the whole time, despite it being a position where you need a tank and smarts and he doesn't appear to have either. He'd be a bloody good back pocket by now and if he had've developed the smartsw and fitness we'd now be able to look at him in the guts.

he’s been injured so much there really hasn’t been much opportunity to experiment with positions.

We need them to be able to cover serious kms though. Longer quarters, less rotations and faster footy. Running ability is going to be massively more important than last year and we're playing Sier and Jordy in the midfield.
Not really, if they are right and the defensive side of the game falls away. Well that’s the most physical taxing. There is nothing like playing to build match fitness either

Not really, if they are right and the defensive side of the game falls away. Well that’s the most physical taxing. There is nothing like playing to build match fitness either

Whether you're running forward in transition or running back in defence, it's still taxing. And if footy is faster - the ball and thus the players will ping backwards and forwards more times in a game.

Doesn't have the vision or awareness. Have you ever seen him feed off a creative handball when cornered or in the tackle? He's a bull who brsts into the clear and then looks to create.
I thought that was one of his strengths, I’ve seen a fair few creative I’ve handballs that get him out of trouble and release a teammate and few no look handoass and backwards hand passes over his head. He just doesn’t get his hands on it enough to show it consistently.

If he had a tank he’d be Dane Swan imo.

I thought that was one of his strengths, I’ve seen a fair few creative I’ve handballs that get him out of trouble and release a teammate and few no look handoass and backwards hand passes over his head. He just doesn’t get his hands on it enough to show it consistently.

If he had a tank he’d be Dane Swan imo.
I agree except for your last line. I got confused and meant JDG.

In terms of Swan, he was one of the smartest best readers of what was going on that the game has seen and could sniff out where the ball was going to spill and kept on the move so when he got it he was away. Sier just stands there hoping the ball comes to him.

I agree except for your last line. I got confused and meant JDG.

In terms of Swan, he was one of the smartest best readers of what was going on that the game has seen and could sniff out where the ball was going to spill and kept on the move so when he got it he was away. Sier just stands there hoping the ball comes to him.
Oh you were talking about De Goey? That’s fair he’s probably got the least footy iq on the team except for maybe Cox.

On Sier that’s a tank issue for mine. He just stands there because that’s all the energy he has. Swan however was one of the hardest workers on and off the field. Sier’s best games are when he’s on the move and to me looks Swan like through the contest, he just doesn’t play like that very often.

The thing that Swan had that maybe Sier didn’t have was awareness on the outside. Swan knew where to find easy possessions and be on an effective link on a chain. I’m not sure on this aspect of Sier yet.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought it was some of the best work in close we've seen from him in a while. Pleased for him. His tank needs a lot more work (I watched him really sucking in the big ones against Richmond in the pre-season) but he can stand up in a tackle and dish the ball off and we need him to.

We need his big body in there but he needs to work on his second efforts. I also want to see him back himself and breakaway out of tackles. He panics and dishes off some ordinary handballs. He has the size and needs to just get aggressive.

Needs to stay and build on his start to the season now until Rantall, Macrae, etc. are ready

We need his big body in there but he needs to work on his second efforts. I also want to see him back himself and breakaway out of tackles. He panics and dishes off some ordinary handballs. He has the size and needs to just get aggressive.

Needs to stay and build on his start to the season now until Rantall, Macrae, etc. are ready
As he builds a body of work at the level he will be more confident

Agree with the comments above, a nice step forward tonight and hopefully he can continue. And we can keep picking him for the next string of games, let him get a decent foothold

Needs a run of games. Persevere with for now... but has his limitations like Wills did... so I see him being supplanted by Reef McInnes or another down the track.

15 touches, 4 clearances and 4 tackles has to be about par for him given his playing low game time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back