Player Watch Brayden Sier (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t say much more than has already been said except that I’d like to see him in a system that challenges him to be a better player away from the contest.

Jordan Lewis pre-match on Friday night was talking about how Melbourne setup around the contest under Brendan McCartney (as a line coach) in 2017. They were well drilled in what they did at the contest, but the second phase of the game once it leaves the area was completely ignored. Their mids basically didn’t know where to run or what to do with the ball. That’s why we’ve seen Oliver elevate his game. It’s what we do currently flood the contest, spread poorly and turn it over with an outnumber ahead of the ball.

It’s no coincidence that Sier was a gun on the rise at 20 in a GF side when we last played with a system that wasn’t as dour as the western front. His form fluctuations are partly his own doing, but he’s 5 extra uncontested possessions per game away from being our third best mid, IMO...

If he adds that aspect to his game, he'll be better than Adams in my opinion.

Adams is a great player, but is a liability with ball in hand. His disposal is truly awful. Sier's size and weight, elite vision and creative disposal by hand and foot means that he has the potential to be a different beast entirely. I hope he realises his potential because he could be something special.

I think his lack of outside disposals could be that he lacks the fitness to spread away from the contest. Equally, it could simply be a lack of continuity and he may improve this aspect of his game if he is selected for a block of games.

If someone who has been on the list for a while like Sier can take the next step, it could fast-track our rebuild in my opinion.

Last edited:

Adams is a great player, but is a liability with ball in hand. His disposal is truly awful. Sier's size and weight, elite vision and creative disposal by hand and foot means that he has the potential to be a different beast entirely. I hope he realises his potential because he could be something special.
Part of Adams' disposal problem is that he lacks genuine support - far too often he wins the ball one out against two or more opponents by himself and then has no room or time because his midfield support is just not doing it's job.
That said he is just average with ball in hand and a halfway decent chance of disposal.

Adams is not the problem in the midfield, his mates are.

This has always been a blind spot with Bucks - he has always been a driven individual and possessed of an almost frightening ability to focus.

He has no patience with those not prepared to go all in.

I myself share that particular attitude.

But I'm not a coach.

Has it? or was it perhaps something that characterised his early coaching more so than now? I don't know and I doubt anyone who isn't on the inside actually does. Haven't heard anyone suggest he hasn't changed. What elements changed?

I think Bucks is a perfectionist whose innate tendency would be to focus on negatives and errors. I think him being advised to stop micromanaging and let the assistants deal with palyers was crucial to our 2018 resurgence and us moving away from the risk averse footy that has been our hallmark under so much of Bucks's reign. With covid cuts reducing the number of coaches, I think Bucks will be delivering a heap more of the messages than he did in 2018 and they'll be laced with his perfectionist tendencies which focus on negatives and errors - rather than encouraging a more attacking style of play. And I don't think it helps that our captain is cut from the same cloth.

Bucks was still the person driving the footy in 2018. Hardly likely that he'd be delivering a different message than all his assistants. The only potential differences might be the personal 1 to 1 relationships between assistants and player v Bucks and player.

I think his lack of outside disposals could be that he lacks the fitness to spread away from the contest. Equally, it could simply be a lack of continuity and he may improve this aspect of his game if he is selected for a block of games.

If someone who has been on the list for a while like Sier can take the next step, it could fast-track our rebuild in my opinion.

I can't believe this myth still perpetuates. His use by hand or foot is more than acceptable for an inside mid.

Bucks was still the person driving the footy in 2018. Hardly likely that he'd be delivering a different message than all his assistants. The only potential differences might be the personal 1 to 1 relationships between assistants and player v Bucks and player.

There's the message you're delivering and then there's the way you dleiver it and what you unintentionally focus on.

I've harbored massive hopes for this guy for far too long; showing glimpses is no longer anywhere near enough from the Bear. He needs to bring it week in week out, over four quarters, or he will find himself looking for a new club at season's end.

The perfect scenario for him with a couple of ageing midfield champs, a couple of injuries, and a few promising kids NQR - so far he has not taken his cue for center stage.

Last edited:
I've harbored massive hopes for this guy for far too long; showing glimpses is no longer anywhere near enough from the Bear. He needs to bring it week in week out, over four quarters, or he will find himself looking for new club at season's end.

The perfect scenario for him with a couple of ageing midfield champs, a couple of injuries, and a few promising kids NQR - so far he has not taken his cue for center stage.
Yes he has - yesterday and whatever other day he played well when given a full game at AFL this year. Don't get the criticism of him yesterday either, namely that he played as an outside mid and took more marks and laid more kicks - 'not doing the team thing'. I imagine he played as he was told to do. You don't think Buckley would have assigned him a role as inside mid then Sier out on the grounds decides, 'No, don't like that idea, I am going to play the midfield role I want to play'?

If he 'finds himself looking for a new club next year' he won't be Robinson Crusoe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He gets his chance to cement his place in the side with Adams out for the next few weeks,Let’s hope he takes that chance.

I've harbored massive hopes for this guy for far too long; showing glimpses is no longer anywhere near enough from the Bear. He needs to bring it week in week out, over four quarters, or he will find himself looking for a new club at season's end.

Well, maybe if he gets a Callum-Brown-style block of consecutive games, he will finally and belatedly establish himself as a core Best 22 centre square midfielder. I’m hopeful and somewhat confident that he’ll finally do so. (Or at least do enough to get us a 2nd rounder on the trade table).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Being subbed out with a jaw injury but being a test this week, what's with that? Hardly Bear like qualities. It did allow Callum Brown to come on and have an impact though.

Being subbed out with a jaw injury but being a test this week, what's with that? Hardly Bear like qualities. It did allow Callum Brown to come on and have an impact though.

I guess they'd want to confirm the extent of the damage done, and if it's something he could play with this week.

I suspect its because he injured his jaw and they arent yet sure if he is fit to play next weeko_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
I suspect that he wasn't playing that well and picked up a niggle that usually would be a 50/50 return to the field. Club saw that they had a like for like replacement as a sub, knew that Sier doesn't have the tank to run out games and pulled the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back