Player Watch Brayden Sier (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people need to appreciate how good Beams could be freed from the inside mid aspect, players like Sier and Adams feeding him the footy.
I just don’t get the feelings generated to an A grade player in Beams.
Even not in his best form (injury aspects told) he’s still a superior player than many.

I’d be rapt a fully fit Beams and Sier and Adams and the rest of them.

Fantastic having lots and lots of talent.

There’s room for the lot of them.

Brayden and any player should never be scared of additional talent coming into the club.

They just need to work and achieve a level where they ensure an ongoing spot in the best 22.

I just don’t get the feelings generated to an A grade player in Beams.
Even not in his best form (injury aspects told) he’s still a superior player than many.

I’d be rapt a fully fit Beams and Sier and Adams and the rest of them.

Fantastic having lots and lots of talent.

There’s room for the lot of them.

Negativity or imo more so partial negativity as no one believes Beams is crap comes from several factors.

Cost to acquire when he wasn't a need.
Watching Sier get squeezed out who is a positional team need. Sier not even considered best 22 from preseason prior to injury or form guides in 2019 but would of been off end of 2018.
Overall form line had been poor (Buckley quoted in paper saying he was in line for dropping), we now know he was playing under duress - hip.
Looked apathetic most games probably due to playing hurt.

Negativity or imo more so partial negativity as no one believes Beams is crap comes from several factors.

Watching Sier get squeezed out who is a positional team need. Sier not even considered best 22 from preseason prior to injury or form guides in 2019 but would of been off end of 2018.
Overall form line had been poor (Buckley quoted in paper saying he was in line for dropping), we now know he was playing under duress - hip.

Was injured in the 1st practice match against the Dees and missed a few weeks through the JLT. Got another injury upon his return. The fact he was selected for that practice match against the Dees shows he was certainly in the frame.

Was injured in the 1st practice match against the Dees and missed a few weeks through the JLT. Got another injury upon his return. The fact he was selected for that practice match against the Dees shows he was certainly in the frame.

Ah k fair enough. Still that was the general feel for the negativity.

I think had beams played better footy there would of been no negativity, given a hip injury that was likely never going to happen. And now we all know of it I doubt the same level of negativity will be attributed to his acquisition.

Although the question now is being asked (ive seen on the boards) what risk did we take in getting a 29 yo with a bung hip for 2x firsts given the club new about it at trade time?

Just fantastic to see Bear come back like that. Sublime vision, decision making and execution around the stoppages when he gets his hands on it. Penetrating kicks forward, tackle-machine, big, hard-bodied, strong lad. Always get the feeling their is still a lot more to come from this young man and I am really looking forward to it.

And yet still racked up an average of 25 possessions at a nice clean distribution rate.

My point has always been, even at not his best he’s still far superior to Brown, Wills.

With Sier, and I’m a mega fan boy, he didn’t not play because Beams knocked him out of the 22, he was for whatever reason, niggles or what not, getting reserves time whilst Brown, Wills, Varcoe were getting games.

Sier doesn’t need to fear Beams or anyone, he just needs to earn his spot and have commanding games where best 22 is a given. Then he and Beams can complement each other and the team.

I’m a firm believer that both Beams and Sier when up and about are best 22; other, lesser players can hence work harder to ensure it’s not them that’s missing out when the last couple of spots are being discussed.

I’m quite sure when Adams returns it’s not Sier making way.

Ah k fair enough. Still that was the general feel for the negativity.

I think had beams played better footy there would of been no negativity, given a hip injury that was likely never going to happen. And now we all know of it I doubt the same level of negativity will be attributed to his acquisition.

Although the question now is being asked (ive seen on the boards) what risk did we take in getting a 29 yo with a bung hip for 2x firsts given the club new about it at trade time?

Did the club know about it at trade time? I haven't actually heard they did.

Two firsts does sound like a lot, but...

In terms of the 2018 pick, we couldn't have used it for a player due to the Quaynor situation. I view us as having traded out the equivalent of say pick 30 - eg. Pick 19 for Pick 30 + the points we got from Brisbane, would have been about right.

So roughly Pick 30 + 2019 pick - a pick that is hopefully in the high teens (maybe even 20s once Academy kids and father sons come into play).

Not a bargain, but not a big deal either. He's still got time to deliver value on the trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he stays sound and gets fitter, he'll be our second best mid behind DeGoey.
I think he could be our best mid, with DeGoey and his leg problem may stop him from being a full time mid, if the problem does not heel.

In terms of the 2018 pick, we couldn't have used it for a player due to the Quaynor situation. I view us as having traded out the equivalent of say pick 30 - eg. Pick 19 for Pick 30 + the points we got from Brisbane, would have been about right.

So roughly Pick 30 + 2019 pick - a pick that is hopefully in the high teens (maybe even 20s once Academy kids and father sons come into play).

Not a bargain, but not a big deal either. He's still got time to deliver value on the trade.

IIrc from an article they knew said when they met in the preseason they discussed getting through the year rather then surgery which brought us to here.

Yup get that but I also see it that we could of used that to trade in other ways and for more needs based.

Also agree there is plenty of water to go under the bridge but at the same time not really, given he is 29 out for the year and will be 30 in feb when he returns. Whether it heals right and how long he can play in his 30s to A grade standard.

Beams at his best and we flag then yes worth it, no flag beams half rat power or injured then no it was a wasted resource.

That's my read on it, not too much more than we paid for WHE. The fact that he was (reportedly) prepared to sign on at a reduced salary made it a much more attractive proposition.

That's my read on it, not too much more than we paid for WHE. The fact that he was (reportedly) prepared to sign on at a reduced salary made it a much more attractive proposition.
His salary didn't get reduced, he just added two extra years to his contract so the salary is spread out over time.

His salary didn't get reduced, he just added two extra years to his contract so the salary is spread out over time.
That’s pretty much the definition of a reduced salary. He could easily have kept his contracted pay for 2 years and then negotiated a new contract later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back