Player Watch Brayden Sier (Delisted 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Crisp did a couple of monumentally silly things last night, but I can handle that when they're amongst 36 touches and 788 metres gained! He was everywhere, and Sier is so important because he takes some of the hits Adams normally does, enabling Adams to get the second possession more often and get clearances. His hands are amazing.

Adams had 13! clearances last night, with Sier, T Brown and Grundy getting 4 each, only one less than Walsh and Cripps. That midfield mix with Steele playing the link role just worked. Big bodies and skills. We need to stick with it.

Aug 24, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
He was better last night, I’m still not a fan but I thought he was serviceable.

I’m just not sure how he’s going to overcome his inability to stay in the game. His fitness is clearly an issue, it was an issue before this year, and it’s even worse now considering the state of the game.

He ideally needs a small niggle that we can use to sub him out of the second half every week but not severe enough that he misses the following week...

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
He was better last night, I’m still not a fan but I thought he was serviceable.

I’m just not sure how he’s going to overcome his inability to stay in the game. His fitness is clearly an issue, it was an issue before this year, and it’s even worse now considering the state of the game.

He ideally needs a small niggle that we can use to sub him out of the second half every week but not severe enough that he misses the following week...
In terms of his development as an AFL player, I reckon he is "younger" than his age suggests. Whilst he is 23, he only has 23 games played in total, 12 in 2018, then 6 and 3 followed by the 2 this year. Think* he has plenty of improvement in him - simply by putting together a package of games?

Although when the cameras caught him in the rooms, his chassis looked relatively sloppy for a professional sportsman.

*"Think" could easily be replaced by "Hope".

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Crisp did a couple of monumentally silly things last night, but I can handle that when they're amongst 36 touches and 788 metres gained! He was everywhere, and Sier is so important because he takes some of the hits Adams normally does, enabling Adams to get the second possession more often and get clearances. His hands are amazing.

Adams had 13! clearances last night, with Sier, T Brown and Grundy getting 4 each, only one less than Walsh and Cripps. That midfield mix with Steele playing the link role just worked. Big bodies and skills. We need to stick with it.
I'm in agreement with a lot of what you said, particularly about Sier unlocking Adams to play a bit more on the outside. Not implying Tay isn't willing, but it's good to have someone with actual size doing that grunt work and dishing off neat handpasses to our runners

brockbruiser

All Australian
Sep 15, 2007
Tassie
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think with the way the game is played now its all about quick burst players, who can run, hit targets and can play multiple positions. The problem with Sier is that his strengths are in and under and not really any of the above. I'm not sure on his aerobic capacity, but he definitely spends more time on the bench than most.

I think this is his year to stand up, it looks as though they are giving him opportunities so hopefully he can take them.

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think with the way the game is played now its all about quick burst players, who can run, hit targets and can play multiple positions. The problem with Sier is that his strengths are in and under and not really any of the above. I'm not sure on his aerobic capacity, but he definitely spends more time on the bench than most.

I think this is his year to stand up, it looks as though they are giving him opportunities so hopefully he can take them.
I like his strengths but virtual headshaking over his tank.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I thought it was some of the best work in close we've seen from him in a while. Pleased for him. His tank needs a lot more work (I watched him really sucking in the big ones against Richmond in the pre-season) but he can stand up in a tackle and dish the ball off and we need him to.

Hopefully continuous match play will help build that tank.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Surprised there isn't more love for Sier after last night, his first half especially. He actually looked like he wanted to be out there, and it showed. He does fade - the lack of tank thing again? - but great signs.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I’m still not a buy on Sier. Last night was the pass mark for a run of the mill mid. He’s not young just inexperienced so he needs to be judged by AFL standards at 23. I bet no one looks at Noble as young despite having 2 matches and 8 months on Sier?

The biggest knock on him is his TOG and when you’re at 69% match time (2nd least of the 44 that played) after being the least in Rd 1 and second least in Rd 2 of the guys that weren’t involved in subs somethings not right. My take is that it’s laziness because sitting at the bench last night he was never puffed when he came off. By that I mean it’s likely that the rotation is made when speed drops away based on GPS data and I don’t know about others, but I’ve always felt it’s universal that speed drops when you’re out of breathe. Not for Sier though...

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Surprised there isn't more love for Sier after last night, his first half especially. He actually looked like he wanted to be out there, and it showed. He does fade - the lack of tank thing again? - but great signs.
Loved his physicality and his handpasses. Some of the windows he gets his handballs in are super tight

Loved his physicality and his handpasses. Some of the windows he gets his handballs in are super tight
Laid some epic tackles last night too.

Your ‘windows’ reference is apt. His handballs, at their best, are like little rockets which invariably hit their targets. Sizzling. It’s one of his standout features- some might think his only feature.

I’m back on the Sier train, but his time on the bench remains a concern. Sco alluding to his GPS data might be right.

I’m still not a buy on Sier. Last night was the pass mark for a run of the mill mid. He’s not young just inexperienced so he needs to be judged by AFL standards at 23. I bet no one looks at Noble as young despite having 2 matches and 8 months on Sier?

The biggest knock on him is his TOG and when you’re at 69% match time (2nd least of the 44 that played) after being the least in Rd 1 and second least in Rd 2 of the guys that weren’t involved in subs somethings not right. My take is that it’s laziness because sitting at the bench last night he was never puffed when he came off. By that I mean it’s likely that the rotation is made when speed drops away based on GPS data and I don’t know about others, but I’ve always felt it’s universal that speed drops when you’re out of breathe. Not for Sier though...
When I have posted in the past I couldn't see it in Sier like others have, I think you are spot on. It is the 'laziness' that I have seen. Often goes right in and other times he is what I refer to as a 'spectator'. Maybe it is concentration?

Hope this can change as we definitely need him as when he is 'on', has quick hands and strong body.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
When I have posted in the past I couldn't see it in Sier like others have, I think you are spot on. It is the 'laziness' that I have seen. Often goes right in and other times he is what I refer to as a 'spectator'. Maybe it is concentration?

Hope this can change as we definitely need him as when he is 'on', has quick hands and strong body.

It could be concentration definitely and it could also be that he’s just better at adhering to rotations than others. For me though until he becomes a 75% + TOG player he’ll remain a tease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back