Recommitted Brayden Sier [re-signed]

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Prestia has been a consistent accumulater of the football almost since his debut, he has runs on the board and a premiership so he rightfully deserves to be rated better right now, my prediction is Sier is creeping close very fast, his body size and speed gives him every chance to leap him the next year or 2.

Lambert i definitely rate but wouldnt choose him over Sier at centre bounces. Graham did a great tagging role on GF day, but is not an accumulater.

Daniel Rioli has impressively played alot of football and played a role in a premiership, however i still wouldnt choose his current output of 11 disposals and 0.7 goals and occasional flashes of brilliance over Siers 20 disposals a game in the midfield.
If you want first round pick, play him in your first team until the end of the season, very difficult to give up first round pick for players playing in VFL.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
They aren't remotely similar players to Sier, they were recruited to fit our gamestyle, and it worked and delivered a flag and a PF. Rioli in particular in 2017 played a role Sier couldn't have, and was crucial to the flag and maybe even got us to the GF with 4 goals in the PF.

You are right Sier would be great for us, he has size and potential which is why I would pay his fair price of a second rounder. Probably some late pick swap upgrades too. He is a big bodied player which is what we lack.

However with only 13 games in 4 years he hasn't done enough to justify suddenly being worth a first rounder, a significant upgrade on his draft position. We are not talking about someone who has put together seasons, or even one season, of quality football. He has had some injury concerns already, and some have even questioned his professionalism.
I definitely understand not wanting to pay over a second rounder for him due to games played, however it seems to be one of those situations where the club wanting him will need to pay overs, as neither Sier or the Club seem interested in parting ways.

You can offer up a second rounder and see if that works, however I don’t think that will get much of a bite, definitely one of those situations where the club would think hes worth more to them than a secomd rounder.

Also, i doubt Richmond would be the only club interested, other Victorian sides would enquire so there could be a mini bidding war.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
as neither Sier or the Club seem interested in parting ways.
You realise this is the only relevant point in all these discussions. If he wants to stay and Pies want to keep him, any offer is irrelevant. I am basing my second rounder comments on the only scenario that would see him go, he asks Collingwood for a trade to a club that has assured him a higher role/salary and then generally clubs won't hold that to ransom demanding overs.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
You realise this is the only relevant point in all these discussions. If he wants to stay and Pies want to keep him, any offer is irrelevant. I am basing my second rounder comments on the only scenario that would see him go, he asks Collingwood for a trade to a club that has assured him a higher role/salary and then generally clubs won't hold that to ransom demanding overs.
He’s said he was happy at the club before this week, its only because he played this week those comments seen too be highlighted more.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
No doubt that Rioli has had a way better career to date but right now Sier is clearly the better player
*Better form, because Rioli is well out of it.

He's played 1 game this year, how many conclusions can you draw from that? Are you the same poster who said Sier has proven a consistent high level when he had only played 12 games? You have a history of going early. Slow down man!

He's played 1 game this year, how many conclusions can you draw from that? Are you the same poster who said Sier has proven a consistent high level when he had only played 12 games? You have a history of going early. Slow down man!

It's the typical thing of Collingwood supporters overhyping Collingwood players.

Either way--- Richmond took Daniel Rioli with their first round pick in 2015 instead of Brayden Sier and it paid off for them as Rioli played a big part in our '17 premiership.

I don't believe as a Richmond supporter that it would make sense for us to give up a late first round pick for him at the end of this year-- but it's apparent that Collingwood supporters seem to believe that someone who's played one AFL game this year and 13 in total across 4 seasons is worth a first round draft pick.

But as a Richmond supporter-- I'd much prefer if we took that pick to the draft; especially with how our recruitment team has chosen players in the past 2 years (Higgins, Balta, CCJ, Naish, Baker, Ross, Stack, etc.)

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood

It's been well over a year since Rioli has had any form to speak about, I read that he didnt even play that well in the VFL
Im not sure, I dont think so! But he is a gun though, no fear going early here

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
not arguing for Rioli over Sier or vice versa. I'm saying that Rioli was recruited for a certain role and played that specific role that Sier can't play.
Just as Rioli can not play as a big contested inside mid, Sier can not play as a lightning quick pressure crumbing forward.
You can't really compare them, Rioli's role was crucial to us winning a flag, swap him with Sier and he can't play that same role.
Agree, completely different roles.

However if Richmond right now are desperate for an inside i wouldnt be surprised to see them pay overs.

You highlighted the importance of giving a first rounder for a role, and Sier could fill a massive one right now if theres considered to be a gaping hole desperate to be filled.

For the record i dont think Sier commands a first rounder in the draft, for all the reasons mentioned, i just think thats what it would take to get it done to recruit a highly rated young player from a rival victorian club, there aren’t many recent cases similar to compare.

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree, completely different roles.

However if Richmond right now are desperate for an inside i wouldnt be surprised to see them pay overs.

You highlighted the importance of giving a first rounder for a role, and Sier could fill a massive one right now if theres considered to be a gaping hole desperate to be filled.

For the record i dont think Sier commands a first rounder in the draft, for all the reasons mentioned, i just think thats what it would take to get it done to recruit a highly rated young player from a rival victorian club, there aren’t many recent cases similar to compare.
Richmond and Collingwood are never going to trade with each other, especially while both are contending

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
All I can gather from the past couple of pages is how grossly overrated draft picks remain! Sier can play and is a much more prudent investment than a pick circa 15. Fortunately, WC aside judging by their offer for Kelly last year, I think clubs are cottoning on to how little value picks have these days v established talents. The only query on Sier is his body which I can guarantee every club would back themselves in on to get right over the next decade.

FWIW I doubt he leaves and Sydney’s the one that worries me most. Because a) it’s a good fit for both parties and b) I reckon they can blow our offer out of the water unlike a Richmond or Essendon, IMO.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Yeah no chance we would trade with Richmond, or even Essendon. ''Here you go guys, you are one of our greatest threats ... but you seem to be missing a big-bodied ball-winner in the middle.. have our best young one we have spent four years developing for a pick about 40. cheers.''

That’s very sound reasoning in theory, however I’m afraid there’s no chance we’d be able to dictate which club we deal with if he chose to leave. It would be a case of Sier chooses a new club and we deal exclusively with them except when we try to gain a bit of leverage from an underbidder. As GWS did on Treloar.

Don’t get me wrong if he chose to leave and said to us “I don’t care about the club just do what’s best for you” that’s how it would play out, but with agents involved that won’t happen...

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I would say that the chances of Sier leaving or asking for a trade would be less than 5% But if i was carlton (sos)

I would get in his ear and say at our club you would be #2 mid behind Cripps and will be getting 5 years $700k a year and when it comes to trading

Here Pies take pick #25 or what ever.

He would be perfect at Carlton imo

MITSUHIRATO

All Australian
Jul 25, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I would say that the chances of Sier leaving or asking for a trade would be less than 5% But if i was carlton (sos)

I would get in his ear and say at our club you would be #2 mid behind Cripps and will be getting 5 years $700k a year and when it comes to trading

Here Pies take pick #25 or what ever.

He would be perfect at Carlton imo

He’s a better fit for Essendon IMO.

While we need all of the talent we can get; we at least have Cripps and Setterfield as big bodied extractors - Essendon have none.

Sier and Will Brodie should be their prime targets.

If you want first round pick, play him in your first team until the end of the season, very difficult to give up first round pick for players playing in VFL.
Barring injury he’ll be in the senior team for the rest of the year. Not sure why it’s so hard for people to understand he was injured early and needed a run in the VFL to gain match fitness. It’s not like he’s a depth player. He’s best 22.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah no chance we would trade with Richmond, or even Essendon. ''Here you go guys, you are one of our greatest threats ... but you seem to be missing a big-bodied ball-winner in the middle.. have our best young one we have spent four years developing for a pick about 40. cheers.''
Calling Essendon a threat is laying it on a bit thick.

If the Hawks keep sliding down the ladder their second pick will be in the early 20s. I’d trade that pick for Sier in a heartbeat. I’m not sure if Collingwood would do that trade though.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
If the Hawks keep sliding down the ladder their second pick will be in the early 20s. I’d trade that pick for Sier in a heartbeat. I’m not sure if Collingwood would do that trade though.
He would fit perfectly too. O’Meara/Mitchell/Sier would be a beastly centre trio.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
If the Pies make the GF again I'd be willing to give them back their 1st selection that we got for Dayne Beams.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
From what I've heard he wants to stay so unless a club comes with big money he'll resign with the pies as I don't think the life of more opportunity/bigger role is a priority for him.

Back