Traded Braydon Preuss [Traded to GWS for Pick #31]

Remove this Banner Ad

Brayden Preuss is a very mediocre ruck. But because of his age and maturity his value will still approach a late 1st simply based on the rarity of supply.
No chance.

Me thinking Preuss is worth a late 2nd/3rd rounder at best.

Then seeing Melbourne fans wanting Pick 13.

Preuss isn't a godsend. He's a mediocre ruckman in his mid 20s. He's a solid player but not giving up anything of value.

Also Pick 37 does not become Pick 50. It'll be an Early 40s pick at worst.

Those Early bids will chew up Picks that come before Pick 37.

Preuss isn't a godsend. He's a mediocre ruckman in his mid 20s. He's a solid player but not giving up anything of value.

One Melbourne supporter said that.

*Fan

If you looked at the trade in entirety you would see that it valued Preuss at #29 in a extremely weak draft.

The Dogs will be trading their first pick in some pick swap.

Interested in how highly the Dees rate Preuss. personally think he's an o.k. workhorse, could be a good bridge to bring a younger ruckman through. I rate him him at about the same level as Marc Pittonet.

Interested in how highly the Dees rate Preuss. personally think he's an o.k. workhorse, could be a good bridge to bring a younger ruckman through. I rate him him at about the same level as Marc Pittonet.
This is my honest assessment on Preuss.

He's as you say, a good honest worhorse. He's a huge frame and loves to use that to his advantage. Only have to see his game against Grundy this year when he beat him physically and kept up with him around the ground.

The big issue with Preuss though is that he blows up after half time. He struggles to run out games and will go missing when it gets to the last quarter. He really needs to work on his tank over the summer, because if he was to come up against someone like a Max Gawn who is an endurance beast, he'll blow up and we'll leave his team a man short.
When he has been in the same team as Gawn, Preuss has been left to play majority of the game up forward which has been a complete failure. So forget that idea.

He's got the potential to being one of the best ruckman in the game only if he's willing to work extremely hard on his fitness over the summer. He's ruck craft in general is quiet solid so its not like he needs to work on the simple dynamics. Its all there.

Preuss has only played a handful of games as a sole AFL ruckman and when he has played this role he has acquitted himself well. And he also absolutely destroys the VFL. In the AFL games where he has played alongside Gawn, he has been mostly played a forward, which is why the football world is unconvinced. He is just not a very good forward.

He is getting better and his size is a real weapon. I think he will be a top 5 ruckman in the game at some point. That's not to say we shouldn't trade him, but I see any likely deal being considered a loss for Melbourne, because he will go to another club and play 100 games.

If you looked at the trade in entirety you would see that it valued Preuss at #29 in a extremely weak draft.

The Dogs will be trading their first pick in some pick swap.
Yes. On points. Pick 29 is still an overvaluation anyway. Also the rules surrounding picks and points makes it a terrible deal anyway. There's no way Dogs would consider it.

i think melbourne got pick 15 from the swans for darren jolly back in the day (which was used to pick lynden dunn)?

i think preuss is much less well credentialed than jolly - who was arguably behind both jeff white and mark jamar in the pecking order, two all oztrayan rucks, so no disrespect there - but you'd think he'd be worth at least a pick in the 20s of what is, theoretically, a 'weak' draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True but he's better than Ceglar.

Dream on - North will then bid pick 2 - worst insurance policy ever bought.
Still save 386 points by deferring bid from pick 1 to pick 2, which would send them into deficit points next year.

i think melbourne got pick 15 from the swans for darren jolly back in the day (which was used to pick lynden dunn)?

i think preuss is much less well credentialed than jolly - who was arguably behind both jeff white and mark jamar in the pecking order, two all oztrayan rucks, so no disrespect there - but you'd think he'd be worth at least a pick in the 20s of what is, theoretically, a 'weak' draft
In fairness back then draft picks were a lot less valued than they are now, plus Preuss is a fair bit older than Jolly was.

With Soldo out for 2021 I would be enquiring. He and Nank was working well, so there's no reason Preuss and either Nank or CCJ couldn't work. If only one ruck then I'd still be happy to lean on Preuss. Given his size, he fills a weakness in our ruck division with Soldo out.

Our second rounder will be a pick in the late 30s after compos push it down, I wouldnt pay more than that but would probably be happy to offer it this year.

Well done to the Dees if they can get anything for him but it staggers me how a bloke can be steak knives in a Dom Tyson trade and then be worth more two years later with almost no senior footy to his name

Well done to the Dees if they can get anything for him but it staggers me how a bloke can be steak knives in a Dom Tyson trade and then be worth more two years later with almost no senior footy to his name
supply and demand

A small guy has about 2-3 years to prove that he can play. A big guy has 10 years to prove that he can't

Remove this Banner Ad

Back