Traded Braydon Preuss [Traded to GWS for Pick #31]

Remove this Banner Ad

About that, if he weren't contracted for 2 more years. Hopefully we're after one of your fringe players or a future pick instead.
I'd say a future pick is very reasonable, and I've said it previously we've got a healthy trade relationship, everything suggests this'll get done pretty easily

Pick 39 will end up near 50, a pretty useless pick, especially in such a weak draft.
The later picks wont actually be affected as much since clubs will be having to use their later picks to match academy bids. Even though I think Giants are getting a steal I don't think we can ask for much more considering his lack of senior games and salary.

Sounds like a good move. He’s a perfectly ok ruck role player who might be better with greater opportunity.

One of the greatest unsolved mysteries of our life time is why Preuss thought going to Melbourne was an even vaguely good idea behind a prime age AA star like Max. Truly one of the most baffling decisions I’ve ever seen with respect to trading/recruiting/player moves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like Gill must of intervened again. Poor hawks.

No, GWS was just the right move for Preuss. Jacobs has retired and they only have a cooked Mumford (who was brought back from retirement) in his way. He'll slot straight into #1 ruck and they have shown that a ruck of his type is what works (and more importantly what is favoured) at GWS.

At Hawthorn, he would have been told have been told he is competing with Ceglar for the #1 ruck role (and that McEvoy is already the relief). We had Pittonet who showed a similar amount to Preuss (similar strengths and weaknesses too) who couldn't get a game. We also have asked our rucks to be a ble to push forward which Preuss struggles with.

After going to Melbourne with the message that they wanted to play him and Max together and it backfiring badly for him, he needed to make the safe call. If I was Preuss, I would have chosen GWS too (almost guaranteed to be #1 ruck).

It’ll probably land on giants pick 39. But given Preuss is contracted I suspect and hope we’ll ask for more. Supposedly on 400k or so. So we’ll get that off our books.

Sounds about right.

It’ll probably land on giants pick 39. But given Preuss is contracted I suspect and hope we’ll ask for more. Supposedly on 400k or so. So we’ll get that off our books.

Assuming Mahoney survives the current internal review, he has a history of making quick deals even if on the surface Melbourne is losing out. He also has a good trading rapport with GWS.

I would expect this deal to GWS to happen quick for “unders” as the certainty of freeing up cap space is valuable when trying to lure other players later in the trade period.

For the same reason if they can offload Tom McDonald as a cap dump they will do that early for “unders” even if they have to eat some part of his salary.

Melbourne also don’t rate this draft, even before COVID hit that was clear when they traded out of it, so they will be going for certainty of known quantities with the 2nd round and 3rd round picks to fill gaps. They did this with Melksham, Hibberd and to a lesser degree Langdon in the past.

Still looking for a reliable tall forward (maybe Brown) and some good outside ball users.

Wildcard is Brayshaw out for a pick in the 15-25 range if they think that would enable a need to come in. Resigned Viney and Sparrow, with Trac and Oliver that’s a very full inside mid unit and Brayshaw would be on good cash and can only play inside mid too.

They might even try Preuss and what Brayshaw brings for one of the GWS players they like plus a 2021 pick back.

Sounds like a good move. He’s a perfectly ok ruck role player who might be better with greater opportunity.

One of the greatest unsolved mysteries of our life time is why Preuss thought going to Melbourne was an even vaguely good idea behind a prime age AA star like Max. Truly one of the most baffling decisions I’ve ever seen with respect to trading/recruiting/player moves.

I never understood either. He went from one team with a solo ruck to another team with a solo ruck that's better and younger. If he came to us he'd probably have played a bit because we generally play two rucks. Even when Naitanui has been fit Sinclair, Vardy, Lycett, Hickey and Allen (not really a ruckman) have all got game time. Port played Ryder and Lobbe/Lycett, Brisbane play Stef and O-Mac etc. while Melbourne and North (and Collingwood) all run with one ruckman because they have ruckmen capable of playing 80-90%+ of game time, and I can't remember Gawn or Goldstein missing many games either.

Because they wanted to play 2 rucks. It was talked about all off season when he was recruited and was even tried at different times

It just didn't work out though

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Any Dees fans see Preuss as good as Darren Jolly was at Melb ?...cant imagine it was easy to keep being #2 for Jeff White either.
Similar story in the making perhaps ? Jolly just wanted a chance at a #1 role and Dees fans were actually pretty happy when we paid up pick 15 for him. Thought we were way overs. We were becoming a little desperate though with Jason Ball on last legs.
Played 120 straight games for us and became a pretty damn solid #1. More at Pies.

Could he be another Jolly or just a hack that is nowhere near showing the same as Jeff White's #2 ? Rucks do normally command somewhat of a premium.

Any Dees fans see Preuss as good as Darren Jolly was at Melb ?...cant imagine it was easy to keep being #2 for Jeff White either.
Similar story in the making perhaps ? Jolly just wanted a chance at a #1 role and Dees fans were actually pretty happy when we paid up pick 15 for him. Thought we were way overs. We were becoming a little desperate though with Jason Ball on last legs.
Played 120 straight games for us and became a pretty damn solid #1. More at Pies.

Could he be another Jolly or just a hack that is nowhere near showing the same as Jeff White's #2 ? Rucks do normally command somewhat of a premium.

He's definitely good enough to play AFL level which he's shown, at the very least he'll be a very serviceable ruck and he'll be very good for the Giants.

Nah I remember Jolly always being touted as a top quality ruckman that just couldn’t get ahead of White, same with Troy Simmonds.

Preuss for a few years even back at North is just the best ruckman not getting a game. He can be a number one ruck but he won’t be a star.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back