Traded Braydon Preuss [Traded to GWS for Pick #31]

Remove this Banner Ad

I recall something at the time of the trade that he wanted to learn from Gawn. He's now been understudy at 2 of the best rucks in the league. I also think 4 years doesn't mean huge $$$, more security and on Melb's behalf, if he continued to develop it would give them better leverage for a scenario like now. Both parties have played it well.

I'm sure he just said that because it sounded good re Gawns understudy. Ultimately he left because Melbourne gave him the best deal.
I believe Adelaide were into him but obviously didn't offer as much. Also I imagine we would've said he would have to win the spot between him and ROB. Which wasn't necessarily a big ask given ROB hadn't spent much time in the firsts at that time. Which leads me to believe Melbourne offered a vastly superior contract.

I'm sure he just said that because it sounded good re Gawns understudy. Ultimately he left because Melbourne gave him the best deal.
I believe Adelaide were into him but obviously didn't offer as much. Also I imagine we would've said he would have to win the spot between him and ROB. Which wasn't necessarily a big ask given ROB hadn't spent much time in the firsts at that time. Which leads me to believe Melbourne offered a vastly superior contract.

Might not have wanted to move interstate?
I would say 4 years for a guy that's barely played is a significant contract. Stkilda's offer to Sam Draper was $1.7 mil over 4 years which was called a mega deal. I haven't read anything to suggest Preuss got anything like that. Even if it's 1.5 over 4 and Melb list management back ended it, they are in a prime position to get good trade value and free up cap if he moves on to be a first ruck somewhere else.

ROB has played 2 games at the end of 2018 and hadn't played an AFL game for 2 years. I don't think he would have factored into his decision at all

I would say that it would have been money driven in the regards that he probably would have wanted a much bigger contract to move interstate and at least the 4 year deal matched in length

ROB has played 2 games at the end of 2018 and hadn't played an AFL game for 2 years. I don't think he would have factored into his decision at all

I would say that it would have been money driven in the regards that he probably would have wanted a much bigger contract to move interstate and at least the 4 year deal matched in length

Huh? In terms of opportunity, it absolutely would have factored into his decision. Zero chance Preuss would haven been the no1 ruck at Melbourne, whereas he could have been at Adelaide. That's where the money is, by being the eventual no1 ruckman not a backup.

I think Adelaide likely offered a 3 year deal, hence the 4 year deal by Melbourne.

Given all the financial hits everyone is taking due to COVID19, he made the right offer taking the.big bikkies from Melbourne.

I don't see why The Dees necessarily have to trade him, unless they get a pick or a player that will immediately make their starting 22.

In fact with Gawn's latest injury setback, The Dees might be better off retaining him.

Melbourne should ask for overs if a club is interested IMHO.

You have to question if Preuss really wants a proper footy career. If he did he would be heading to the Giants or Cats.

He can also make a nice living hiding behind Gawn and Jackson in the twos.

I've seen this mentioned before. It was alleged or speculated that he chose Melbourne because he knew he'd get a pay cheque sitting in the 2nds as Yawns backup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like an obvious fit for Sydney.

If GWS persist with Mumford for another year, it's probably not worth Preuss moving to yet another club to be backup.

If we hadn't drafted Ryder, I would have liked us to have picked him up. Too good a player to rot in the reserves.

I've seen this mentioned before. It was alleged or speculated that he chose Melbourne because he knew he'd get a pay cheque sitting in the 2nds as Yawns backup.
Nice life getting an AFL pay cheque and only having to front up against VFL ruckmen each week with no scrutiny on how your game went. Can be the only reason he chose to transfer to a team with one of the big three lead rucks. Or Preuss is just stupid?

No he thought Melbourne were going to play 2 ruckman. Melbourne played Gawn and Preuss 7 times together in 2019. Didn’t really work out and now with drafting a ruckman at pick 3 in Jackson Melbourne have 2 ruckman to play ahead of Preuss
B62C2368-6852-427B-88F5-22493765389B.jpeg

I said earlier in this thread Melbourne shouldn’t trade him as we brought him in to be a back up, but we actually didn’t, we wanted to play him and Gawn together, now that’s not happening we should get his salary off our books

BRAYDON PREUSS (MELB)

Draft picks:
Early third-round pick
Value on open market: $300,000-400,000

Is it time for Preuss to look for his third club? Arrived at Melbourne on a four-year deal at the end of 2018 with the hope of playing in tandem with Max Gawn. That happened just once this season, with Preuss playing two other matches – including a win over Brodie Grundy – in Gawn's absence. It will be hard for the Demons to stand in his way given they've also brought in No.3 pick Luke Jackson since Preuss' arrival. Has already gained interest from Sydney and Greater Western Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back