Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Well if you call Soldo a spud considering he handed Preuss his ass on a platter in the vfl then yes
I don’t see Nankervis/Soldo playing in the same team like Gawn/Pruess. Both the Melb rucks can go forward, clunk a mark and kick a goal.

Soldo can’t do that. He’s more of a lumbering tap ruckman.

I’d prefer to see Coleman-Jones or Balta in the side as forwards who can provide a chop out in the ruck. Coleman-Jones is a better ruck and forward but Baltas more agile at this stage.

We may see this scenario as early as round one with Lynch battling time and us wanting to play two talls up forward.

That said, Hardwick could surprise and just get Callum Moore and Dave Astbury in the stoppages at either part of the ground when Nank is off the field.

Not even the Intra club last weekend gave us an idea of which direction they were leaning.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Richmond
Nankervis
Soldo
Coleman-Jones
Chol

also Have Balta at 195cm but great leap thats also a handy chop out ruckman but still young, Very good chance we will see a bit of him this year in the Grigg type role

Like most team you’re in big trouble if Nank goes down

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Nic Nat is elite, Vardy is solid/good the other 2 are WAFL rucks. Being better than Billy Longer is not something to write home about.

Agree on Brown - hate seeing him go into the ruck.

Dont be surprised if Hickey plays his best football at the Eagles. Not much support around the ground coming from the Suns then Saints. Put a decent player into a good side and they lift.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Didn't Preuss lead the VFL by a mile for hitouts?
Probably did as the VFL is full of VFL ruckman but against Richmond he lowered his colours

Soldo went off half way through the 3rd quarter and still managed 30 hit outs compared to Preuss 29 for the entire game which he got most of them after against Chol

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Probably did as the VFL is full of VFL ruckman but against Richmond he lowered his colours

Soldo went off half way through the 3rd quarter and still managed 30 hit outs compared to Preuss 29 for the entire game which he got most of them after against Chol

So you're basing this off one game?

You must think Colin Sylvia is the GOAT.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Are you really trying to argue Soldo isn’t a spud?

Mate you would not know Ivan Soldo if he fell on your head, Kid just turned 22 and only played afl for 3 years coming from a non football backround and in his 3rd year and is already one of the most dominant ruckman in the VFL. Who knows what he will become but i can assure you that you most likely have never seen him play and are just talking crap.

Preuss is a year older and both players have only played 8 games each and average the same hitouts at afl level, Richmonds long term Ruckman is most likely Callum Coleman-Jones who is only 19 and looking great hardly a spud the kid was SA captain and has looked extremely impressive in his 1st yeear

But ill let you continue

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Mate you would not know Ivan Soldo if he fell on your head, Kid just turned 22 and only played afl for 3 years coming from a non football backround and in his 3rd year and is already one of the most dominant ruckman in the VFL. Who knows what he will become but i can assure you that you most likely have never seen him play and are just talking crap.

Preuss is a year older and both players have only played 8 games each and average the same hitouts at afl level, Richmonds long term Ruckman is most likely Callum Coleman-Jones who is only 19 and looking great hardly a spud the kid was SA captain and has looked extremely impressive in his 1st yeear

But ill let you continue

I said spuds OR young players, I’m not calling a 19 year old I’ve never watched a spud. Saw plenty of Soldo at afl level in 2017 and VFL in 2018, he is no good.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Believe what you want but everyone who isn’t a one eyed Richmond fan (Which unfortunately there is a lot of) will agree with me
OK ill tell you why i called bulltish about your claims

The chance of you seeing Ivan Soldo in 2018 would have been during the casey/richmond game
where Ivan Sold was best on ground with 67 hit outs 4 marks and 10 possessions

You do know who casey is yeah ??

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
OK ill tell you why i called bulltish about your claims

The chance of you seeing Ivan Soldo in 2018 would have been during the casey/richmond game
where Ivan Sold was best on ground with 67 hit outs 4 marks and 10 possessions

You do know who casey is yeah ??

You realize they televised vfl finals and I also have a friend that plays vfl lol I didn’t just watch on tv

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
You realize they televised vfl finals and I also have a friend that plays vfl lol I didn’t just watch on tv
Which game are we talking about ? He played well in both games
V Essendon 28 ho
V Williamstown 33 ho

Regarding the Casey game he was up against Both Pederson & King who were both AFL listed players and totally dominated them ? Im not saying Soldo is a Gun ruckman but Preuss is not either both have done nothing at AFL

Mate your just shooting fish in a pond give it up

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Save your excuses for the Soldo thread. 43-13.

Your struggling sunshine maybe try google to see if its an excuse

Ivan Sold averages 35 hit outs per game and even against Witts in the gold coast game he got 33 hit outs and 12 touches
He beat Preuss in the first north game and played 23 minutes in the 2nd game to get 13 hit outs and jones only managed 9 being a kid that played the majority of the game in the ruck.

So its excuses lol , Maybe go back and watch that 2nd game again

Fact is the Soldo is new to AFL coming from basketball ans at 22 still learning his craft but still managing to dominate VFL and play some decent games at AFL when required. So far from the finished product but hardly a 'Spud'

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Your struggling sunshine maybe try google to see if its an excuse

Ivan Sold averages 35 hit outs per game and even against Witts in the gold coast game he got 33 hit outs and 12 touches
He beat Preuss in the first north game and played 23 minutes in the 2nd game to get 13 hit outs and jones only managed 9 being a kid that played the majority of the game in the ruck.

So its excuses lol , Maybe go back and watch that 2nd game again

Fact is the Soldo is new to AFL coming from basketball ans at 22 still learning his craft but still managing to dominate VFL and play some decent games at AFL when required. So far from the finished product but hardly a 'Spud'
Maybe start that Soldo thread. He sounds amazing.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

Mate every ruckman on an AFL list over 200cm "dominates" the VFL. 20 year old Sam Draper at Essendon averaged 40 HO once he got given the number one ruck spot in the Essendon VFL.

Soldo is very average.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
THE_GUN

Loves to conveniently leave out Rnd 15 of the VFL in these discussions.

When Preuss had: 13 Disposals, 43 hitouts, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 1.1 goals for second BOG.

vs

Ivan "Polly Farmer" Soldo: 6 disposals, 13 hitouts, 1 mark, 2 tackles, 1.0 goals

I'd say thats a comprehensive spanking.....

Didn't Preuss lead the VFL by a mile for hitouts?

What are you talking about?

Forget the 13.6 disposals, 47.4 hitouts a game Preuss averaged last year, just remember Soldo had his 1 good VFL game for his career against Preuss, so he must be s**t. Lets forget the fact that he averaged under 10 disposals a game for the year and if you cancel out what are clearly statistical outliers, his hitouts average for the majority of his games were in the 20's.

He does have a fair point though, Soldo is 3rd in-line behind at Richmond, not great when statistically it's behind one of the worst ruckman in the league in Nankervis. A guy who gives up the biggest clearance differential in the league and the biggest hitout differential in the league. A great combo for a ruckman. He's essentially a psudo KPP playing the ruck, similar to a better version of Cam Pederson.

Last edited:
Back