Traded Braydon Preuss [traded with #62 to Melbourne for Tyson]

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Expected to see Melbourne supporters pumping up Preuss's pre-season and North supporter's pumping up Tyson's but instead find some Richmond idiots going on about Ivan bloody Soldo. Christ.

Anyway, this will be one of the most interesting trades to watch unfold across the season. I think Tyson should be huge for North, will mean we will no longer be smashed in clearances when Cunnington is off the ground. Should actually mean that Cunnington (most benched player in the league) will be able to rest forward more where he is very dangerous as an unmovable object who can mark and goal in his sleep.

Melbourne acquiring Preuss is the riskier side of the bargain in my view. He could be part of the answer of transitioning into a Hoganless forwardline with Melbourne able to keep two massive bastards on the field at once. Something that could potentially pay out huge in contested situations under the new 666 rule. You have to wonder if there is a place for two 6'9 footballers in an AFL team though, considering how important run is to the game and endurance being Preuss's biggest issue.

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
I was surprised more clubs didn't go after Pruess, including mine.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Agree - apart from the Tigers who having the next Simon Madden in Ivan Soldo - Preuss would have been a very good 2nd ruck at most clubs.

I think the value of a sides second ruck is extremely low at this point in the AFL. What's more interesting to me is that looks like no sides saw Preuss as a their number 1 ruck of the future which suggests that North did quite well getting a player of Tyson's caliber in a trade for him.

Something else of note is that depending on how much impact the 6-6-6 rule has on the value of center clearances the importance of having a quality second ruck could sky rocket this year.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
They may have, including us. It seems he was singlemindedly intent on the Demons. I think it often dlesn't reach the light of day if an approach was rebiluffed by his manager.

People assume the club has say in the matter of destination for a contracted player, but it's limited to the players willingness to go there. Hypothetically if he saud it's the Demons or I'll stay, that's the options North have. If he says I want out wherever fir opportunity they've got more scope to negotiate a better trade.

Apparently there are question marks on if he can get fit enough to ruck alone.

Might explain why a team didn't go after him to be the number one ruckman

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I think the value of a sides second ruck is extremely low at this point in the AFL. What's more interesting to me is that looks like no sides saw Preuss as a their number 1 ruck of the future which suggests that North did quite well getting a player of Tyson's caliber in a trade for him.

Something else of note is that depending on how much impact the 6-6-6 rule has on the value of center clearances the importance of having a quality second ruck could sky rocket this year.

Agree the 6-6-6 rule could completely de-value a 2nd big ruck. In saying that Preuss looks a better option as a back up ruck than most clubs have.

After reading this AFL article some teams have a big drop off from their 1st ruck to their 2nd.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02...your-club-is-placed-in-the-big-man-department

The Dee's can mange Gawn better this year with either having Preuss help out in the ruck or step in all together.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Agree the 6-6-6 rule could completely de-value a 2nd big ruck. In saying that Preuss looks a better option as a back up ruck than most clubs have.

After reading this AFL article some teams have a big drop off from their 1st ruck to their 2nd.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02...your-club-is-placed-in-the-big-man-department

The Dee's can mange Gawn better this year with either having Preuss help out in the ruck or step in all together.

Sorry I probably wasn't clear. I was trying to say that the value of second ruckman is at an all time low now but the 6-6-6 rule could reverse that as center clearances could potentially become more valuable.

You're right it could also got the other way as having 6 genuine forwards may also become more important leaving less space for sides to hide a second ruckman.

What people are forgetting is that there was another rule introduced, where ruckman can take possession of the ball at the ruck contest and now have the same prior applied as picking up a loose ball now. Teams that play the likes of Grigg as a second ruck now or don't attend the ruck contest now will see the other team just take the ball out of the ruck contest and use it. Very few rucks can get to every contest in a game now, and leaving ruck contests under contested has consequences now, so as far as I'm concerned a 2nd ruck is more important now than ever. Especially if they have sticky hands and can play up forward as well.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
What people are forgetting is that there was another rule introduced, where ruckman can take possession of the ball at the ruck contest and now have the same prior applied as picking up a loose ball now. Teams that play the likes of Grigg as a second ruck now or don't attend the ruck contest now will see the other team just take the ball out of the ruck contest and use it. Very few rucks can get to every contest in a game now, and leaving ruck contests under contested has consequences now, so as far as I'm concerned a 2nd ruck is more important now than ever. Especially if they have sticky hands and can play up forward as well.
That's true, but I've dubbed it the Tom Hawkins rule because he's as good as anyone in the comp at doing it and because I think Steve Hocking bought it in for his old mate.

Someone like Gawn will be pretty bad at it because he's so tall he has a higher centre of gravity and can't get the same push with his hips as a someone like Hawkins, plus it's further to his foot for the ball drop.

Obviously it's hard to risk someone like Grigg in the ruck now but I wouldn't be overly concerned with a strong back up key forward being able to stop an opponent grabbing it out of the ruck. In Melbourne's case I still think Weideman can do enough to prevent an opponent grabbing it from the ruck.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Extremely quite around these parts

Quite what? What is it quite?

If you mean quiet then yes it is, although he only played 63 percent of the game (which seems like far more than what it looked like watching the game) still had 21 hitouts and 9 possessions.

Not great but considering it was 38 degrees I'd give him a pass.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks

If you mean quiet then yes it is, although he only played 63 percent of the game (which seems like far more than what it looked like watching the game) still had 21 hitouts and 9 possessions.

He looked much better than Soldo.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers

As mentioned by the commentators cant get from contest to contest, With the game now even quicker he looked totally out of sort's
The demons looked much better with Declan Keilty in the ruck.

Cannot see how he will fit into the melb team with Gawn. Preuss just lacks mobility

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
As mentioned by the commentators cant get from contest to contest, With the game now even quicker he looked totally out of sort's
The demons looked much better with Declan Keilty in the ruck.

Cannot see how he will fit into the melb team with Gawn. Preuss just lacks mobility

We didn't actually look better with Keilty in the ruck.

It was 38 degrees.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
We didn't actually look better with Keilty in the ruck.

It was 38 degrees.
Come on mate even the commentators were saying how much better melbourne were moving the ball with Keilty in the ruck and the Kid actually has a great leap and was getting the ball to your mids.

Im sure all the players that were there played in the same heat

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
He looked much better than Soldo.
Agree. But Soldo looks a pure ruck emergency - only if Nank is injured. JLT 1 showed Balta should be the ruck cover in the side when Nank is on the bench.

Pruess looks a pure ruck as well. Wonder if he has the potency up forward or the agility around the ground to play with Gawn in the real stuff.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Agree. But Soldo looks a pure ruck emergency - only if Nank is injured. JLT 1 showed Balta should be the ruck cover in the side when Nank is on the bench.

Pruess looks a pure ruck as well. Wonder if he has the potency up forward or the agility around the ground to play with Gawn in the real stuff.
Exactly my point both are dinosaurs and stuff all difference between them , The way Preuss has been talked about you would think he was the next Sandilands
Soldo at least managed to get to the contest unlike preuss who was just a liability

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Come on mate even the commentators were saying how much better melbourne were moving the ball with Keilty in the ruck and the Kid actually has a great leap and was getting the ball to your mids.

Im sure all the players that were there played in the same heat

Keilty had one passage of play that led to a goal other than that no, he was getting bodied in the ruck.

Not all those players are 206cm and 109kg.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Exactly my point both are dinosaurs and stuff all difference between them , The way Preuss has been talked about you would think he was the next Sandilands
Soldo at least managed to get to the contest unlike preuss who was just a liability
I don’t think Nank can play with Soldo.
I’m still not sure Pruess can’t play with Gawn. Need to see more of them together.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Keilty had one passage of play that led to a goal other than that no, he was getting bodied in the ruck.

Not all those players are 206cm and 109kg.
You clearly watched a different game

Kid played 28 minutes
6 possessions
9 hit outs
2 marks
2 tackles

3 hit outs went straight to his mids leading to direct entry into foward line

You can be so critical of a kid that had this type of influence ?

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Preuss is only ever going to be the coverage for Gawn. The media talked up the 2 rucks things, most Demons supporters weren't buying it and the only person from the MFC who ever really entertained it was Gawn who liked the idea of spending 50% game time at full forward and talked up his ruck buddy. Goodwin only ever talked in cliches.

I thought he was perfectly fine back up and probably had the better of Soldo for a half. The only time he didn't get to a contest was when he ran to the bench after being on the opposite side of the field from a kick out. That was a mental mistake not a physical problem.

The commentators were calling the game from a TV Studio, laughable to think they could determine anything about individual players off ball movements and work rate.

Balta looks a nice forward/ruck prospect and should give the Tigers a bit at least until Lynch comes in to the side. He tried hard all day and took a couple of nice marks when the depth Melbourne backline kicked straight to him as well as a nice grab and a goal when matched up against the debacle that is Oscar McDonald and Sam Frost without defensive/midfield cover.

Keilty might not have the same upside but he also looked a handy ruck/forward back up if a tall forward goes down but with a bit more match fitness and a day that isn't 40 degrees I'm confident Preuss is a good solid back up.

Back