Traded Braydon Preuss [traded with #62 to Melbourne for Tyson]

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of both AFAIK

He played the first few games in the AFL (when we went very badly) and was dropped to the VFL. Was injured (calf injury I think) and then reinjured when he was about to come back so has been out injured for many weeks. I think he is due back soon but obviously will be to VFL, at least in the beginning

He played the first few games in the AFL (when we went very badly) and was dropped to the VFL. Was injured (calf injury I think) and then reinjured when he was about to come back so has been out injured for many weeks. I think he is due back soon but obviously will be to VFL, at least in the beginning
Makes sense as I couldn't work out how Tyson wasn't getting a game.

He is an AFL standard player without question. I really expected him to excel at North

Brayden Preuss
17 hit outs
3 hanballs
3 kicks
0 tackles
0 Goals
79% game time
66% DE

Ivan Soldo
14 hit outs
8 kicks
5 handballs
4 tackles
1 Goal
62% game time
61% DE

Brayden Preuss will certainly not become the next Max Gawn/Brodie Grundy but will always be a very good vfl ruckman that gets 60 hit outs at vfl level

Brayden Preuss
17 hit outs
3 hanballs
3 kicks
0 tackles
0 Goals
79% game time
66% DE

Ivan Soldo
14 hit outs
8 kicks
5 handballs
4 tackles
1 Goal
62% game time
61% DE

Brayden Preuss will certainly not become the next Max Gawn/Brodie Grundy but will always be a very good vfl ruckman that gets 60 hit outs at vfl level
When he played as one out ruck against Carlton he was quiet good against Kruezer. But he’s no forward. Comparing him to Soldo tonight not all that relevant given Gawn played mostly ruck. Preuss spends a heap of time forward. If we have anyone who can play tall forward available next week I assume he’ll be dropped.

When he played as one out ruck against Carlton he was quiet good against Kruezer. But he’s no forward. Comparing him to Soldo tonight not all that relevant given Gawn played mostly ruck. Preuss spends a heap of time forward. If we have anyone who can play tall forward available next week I assume he’ll be dropped.

From what i've seen of him he seems like a pretty capable no.1 ruck but is pretty average as a forward/ruck.

Makes Melbourne's decision to chase him and his decision to go there pretty baffling imo.
Any chance he might get traded? Reckon a few VIC teams could use him like Geelong & Essendon. Wouldn't mind him at Carlton in 2021 if Kruzer retires.

Extremely over rated football player

His size seems to seduce too many people here who never actually watch him play

Im remembering north supporters and 1 particular GWS supporter who was very much in the opinion he was worth a 1st rounder FMD

From what i've seen of him he seems like a pretty capable no.1 ruck but is pretty average as a forward/ruck.

Makes Melbourne's decision to chase him and his decision to go there pretty baffling imo.
Any chance he might get traded? Reckon a few VIC teams could use him like Geelong & Essendon. Wouldn't mind him at Carlton in 2021 if Kruzer retires.
Unless Melbourne recruit a decent backup ruck it’s very unlikely we’ll trade Preuss. There’s not many who actually thought he’d play every week. At least no Melbourne supporters I know. Personally I thought they’d trial it which they did. But if Gawn goes down we don’t have any other rucks.

Im remembering north supporters and 1 particular GWS supporter who was very much in the opinion he was worth a 1st rounder FMD

Who rates him though. One GWS supporter? No one else seriously would have rated him a first.
I personally think he’s a decent ruckman who’ll only play well as the number one ruck. Makes his spot in the side shaky from his point of view.

I’m not sure why he went to melbourne instead of looking at a side that needed a ruckman.

He could have played 15+ games as a number 1 ruck at GWS or Geelong.

I guess theres also the possibility of neither of them sides being interested in him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please tell me these are not the stats of your number 1 ruckman.

fu** me you would want to get Nankervis back in the side quick smart, if that is the case.
Clearly not our #1 Ruckman but Ivan Soldo a 22 year old developing ruckman who i have in the past made the comment that he beat Preuss in VFL games but was laughed at by north supporters and 1 particular GWS supporter who i have a feeling was a turncoat north supporter.
My point in posting these stats were to show how hopeless Preuss is at AFL level

Who rates him though. One GWS supporter? No one else seriously would have rated him a first.
I personally think he’s a decent ruckman who’ll only play well as the number one ruck. Makes his spot in the side shaky from his point of view.
You might want to go back and read some posts made by some on this thread

Clearly not our #1 Ruckman but Ivan Soldo a 22 year old developing ruckman who i have in the past made the comment that he beat Preuss in VFL games but was laughed at by north supporters and 1 particular GWS supporter who i have a feeling was a turncoat north supporter.
My point in posting these stats were to show how hopeless Preuss is at AFL level

You might want to go back and read some posts made by some on this thread
Soldo didn't ruck that well against Preuss last night.

Preuss didnt ruck that well against Soldo either but soldo did what he needed to where Preuss fell short
Preuss rucking against Soldo in the VFL is what i go by and have seen what Preuss has and its not AFL standard
Eh. Both are very average. Would want to be improving a lot before hitting peak ruck age.

And my point was to show how hopeless Soldo is at AFL level.

Preuss didnt ruck that well against Soldo either but soldo did what he needed to where Preuss fell short

Think you might want to go back and look at the stats again.

Our number 1 ruckman (Gawn) handsomely beat your number 1 ruckman (Soldo) and our number 2 ruckman (Preuss beat your number 2 ruckman (Chol).

Your clutching at straws to suggest Soldo beat Preus on Saturday night. If Soldo did play on Preuss it must of been for all 10 minutes.

Last edited:
People that are baffled as to why we went after Preuss astounds me. It's pretty obvious. We thought this year was our premiership window. We heavily invested to get May on board thinking we needed to a lock down key position back to take on the gorillas. Recruiting Preuss in this instance was ruck insurance.

To rely on Gawn to get through the year unscathed without a back up ruckman when we thought this was our year to contend isn't good list management. Richmond did that this year with Nank and luckily they've at least had some sort of back up, but it's hurt them. We had zero back up ruck options. ZERO. We also thought we could at least experiment to see if playing both could work but it hasn't. If anything, Preuss was insurance in case Gawn goes down, and to let go of Tyson (inside mid) who we as a team have a surplus of, to get in a young back up ruck option that could learn off Gawn and await in the wings was the right thing to do. Especially given Tyson will most likely be delisted by North at the end of the year at the rate he's tracking barring injury.

Simple as that. Stop being baffled by the complete obvious.

Preuss rucking against Soldo in the VFL is what i go by and have seen what Preuss has and its not AFL standard
He has just turned 24. That is very young for a ruck - still 3 or 4 years away from his best footy.

He has just turned 24. That is very young for a ruck - still 3 or 4 years away from his best footy.
Gawn - been a gun the last 4 years
Grundy -25 been a gun the last 3 years
Goldy -since 23

considering ruckman usually get injured and have limited career's after 30/31 with the exception of a few i wouldnt be holding my breath

I’m not sure why he went to melbourne instead of looking at a side that needed a ruckman.

He could have played 15+ games as a number 1 ruck at GWS or Geelong.

I guess theres also the possibility of neither of them sides being interested in him.

This was my confusion as well. Clearly needed to move somewhere with a ruck issue but instead went to a team with a top notch ruckman.

I think he's a below average mark for his size. I'm sure he would have made a great no 1 ruck in the 90s but players need to be able to contribute around the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back