Traded Braydon Preuss [traded with #62 to Melbourne for Tyson]

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not sure why he went to melbourne instead of looking at a side that needed a ruckman.

He could have played 15+ games as a number 1 ruck at GWS or Geelong.

I guess theres also the possibility of neither of them sides being interested in him.

If they weren't they're pretty dumb imo...unless Melbourne just offered overs he felt he couldn't refuse.

Preuss is far better than the GWS or Geelong ruckmen. Essendon are really struggling right now with Clarke.

People that are baffled as to why we went after Preuss astounds me. It's pretty obvious. We thought this year was our premiership window. We heavily invested to get May on board thinking we needed to a lock down key position back to take on the gorillas. Recruiting Preuss in this instance was ruck insurance.

To rely on Gawn to get through the year unscathed without a back up ruckman when we thought this was our year to contend isn't good list management. Richmond did that this year with Nank and luckily they've at least had some sort of back up, but it's hurt them. We had zero back up ruck options. ZERO. We also thought we could at least experiment to see if playing both could work but it hasn't. If anything, Preuss was insurance in case Gawn goes down, and to let go of Tyson (inside mid) who we as a team have a surplus of, to get in a young back up ruck option that could learn off Gawn and await in the wings was the right thing to do. Especially given Tyson will most likely be delisted by North at the end of the year at the rate he's tracking barring injury.

Simple as that. Stop being baffled by the complete obvious.

I think it's the size of the contract for a back up ruckman that may have put some people off?

Besides, most of the confusion is why Preuss went to Melbourne when most of us think he could have been a no.1 somewhere else.

As a previous poster mentioned Melbourne considers themselves a contender. Now if Gawn went down without Preuss we didn’t have back up. I’m sure he was also enticed by playing alongside Gawn. But many considered that a long shot had we had a reasonably full list.
The contract is 3 years. Not sure on $. I don’t think it’s breaking the bank though.

Good insurance for Gawn. Terrible career choice by Preuss and his management.

Shouldn't get a game unless Gawn get's injured or the Dees are so desperate to have a tall bloke in their forward line, as they were on the weekend.

I actually thought Gawn may play more forward on the weekend and let Preuss ruck mostly. Didn't happen though. Terrible forward.

Have NFI why we didn't try and get him up to the club.

Unless we did and he knocked us back due to wanting to remain in Melbourne.

I think he's a below average mark for his size. I'm sure he would have made a great no 1 ruck in the 90s but players need to be able to contribute around the ground.
Correct 20-30 years ago he would have played 250 games and retired at 33 years of age but totally unsuited to todays game
he was a total liability for melbourne last week

From what i've seen of him he seems like a pretty capable no.1 ruck but is pretty average as a forward/ruck.

Makes Melbourne's decision to chase him and his decision to go there pretty baffling imo.
Any chance he might get traded? Reckon a few VIC teams could use him like Geelong & Essendon. Wouldn't mind him at Carlton in 2021 if Kruzer retires.

Back up to Gawn, we have no one else, and we paid virtually nothing for him so meh

Back up to Gawn, we have no one else, and we paid virtually nothing for him so meh
You value having an elite player as back up so highly? Pretty sure cats would value having any ruck at this point. Fairly certain they'd give you a fair bit more than you gave up to put a hooped jumper on him.

You value having an elite player as back up so highly? Pretty sure cats would value having any ruck at this point. Fairly certain they'd give you a fair bit more than you gave up to put a hooped jumper on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kind of an even trade really. Dom Tyson serves no real purpose aside from depth and Preuss is just depth.

Beggar’s belief how Preuss is so highly rated because he looks somewhat intimidating and had a good game once. Elite??

Kind of an even trade really. Dom Tyson serves no real purpose aside from depth and Preuss is just depth.

Beggar’s belief how Preuss is so highly rated because he looks somewhat intimidating and had a good game once. Elite??
Because he racks them up in the VFL, like alot of other dees depth players. Problem is they all s**t the bed in the big league.

Pruess causes a bit of angst among oppo supporters haha. Melbourne needed a backup ruck. We landed one. He had the chance to play alongside Gawn but realistically that was always a long shot. He rucked one out once this year and played well against an experience ruckman.

If they weren't they're pretty dumb imo...unless Melbourne just offered overs he felt he couldn't refuse.

Preuss is far better than the GWS or Geelong ruckmen. Essendon are really struggling right now with Clarke.

No idea why he went to melb it was obvious he wouldnt get regular games there. Id still take him at Geelong but wouldnt pay much in a trade.

Lol, but seriously, Preuss isn't elite
FYI cats have 4 recognised rucks on the list. All 4 are fit currently. Not one was considered best 22 tonight by the match committee, and rightfully so. We put our b&f full back in as #1 ruck against Goldstein instead. We were much improved in the clearances

I’m not sure why he went to melbourne instead of looking at a side that needed a ruckman.

He could have played 15+ games as a number 1 ruck at GWS or Geelong.

I guess theres also the possibility of neither of them sides being interested in him.

I can sort of understand Melbourne's thinking.

Gawn vital to them so they got a gawn like clone. Hogan out so potentially he plays forward to cover that need.

In the end he wasn't needed or it didn't work out for either of those things.

I thought he would be better than what's he's shown this season. Was worth the gamble for the fees at the time I think and it could still pan out (under a different coach? At a different club?)

I can sort of understand Melbourne's thinking.

Gawn vital to them so they got a gawn like clone. Hogan out so potentially he plays forward to cover that need.

In the end he wasn't needed or it didn't work out for either of those things.

I thought he would be better than what's he's shown this season. Was worth the gamble for the fees at the time I think and it could still pan out (under a different coach? At a different club?)

Yep. Made sense for the Dees but a baffling decision from Preuss to join that club ...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would anyone blame him for requesting a trade to Gws/Geelong?

Would melbourne decline it?

Needs to find an opening in a side as there number 1 pick man, simply can’t be on the same list as Max Gawn or any other elite pure ruckman unless he’s accepted he’s nothing more than depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back