Brayshaw V Dow V LDU V Cerra

Who will be best?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
4 mids that went 2,3,4,5 in the 2017 draft. They were a very even group that stood one rung down from Rayner and hence could have gone in any order.

Who will have the better careers?

Freo in particular have an interest in the outcome. And Brayshaw and Cerra probably looked most at ease at AFL level in year 1, slightly ahead of Dow.

Despite some glimpses LDU looked most off the pace last year. Has had a massive preseason and looked a different player today getting 27 touches in limited game time. Whilst all four have plenty of physical development ahead of them, I think LDU will gain the most improvement in this area, particularly with his fitness and running.

Dow also looked much improved/confident/fit as you would expect for a guy playing only his second year of footy.

I rate this poll: same draft, consecutive picks, similar type players. Will be very interesting how this pans out over the years.

At the moment on exposed form I would have LDU a bit behind and the other three around the same mark. Obviously very early days and anything can happen from here. Will keep an eye out for Cerra and Dow as they could be very special players in my opinion.

Cerra had the best first year IMO. LDU starting this year behind the other 3 but no shame in that, talented young player & could well be ahead of them all come years end.. It would be foolish to make any calls this early, any one of them could end up winning a brownlow or they might all be delisted in 4 years

Cerra has an innate ability to find space in congestion closest to a Pendlebury clone I’ve seen since I’d very very surprised if he doesn’t become one of the elite of the competition

Would be a tad embarrassing for North fans if it's not LDU given the way they've carried on since draft day. So far it's not looking great (the Chris Judd comparisons look...optimistic to say the least) but he does have time on his side.

I've gone with Cerra, although Lyon will actually need to give him quality midfield minutes at some stage...I'm not a fan of this "apprenticeship at HB" method he's so fond of.

Would be a tad embarrassing for North fans if it's not LDU given the way they've carried on since draft day. So far it's not looking great (the Chris Judd comparisons look...optimistic to say the least) but he does have time on his side.

I've gone with Cerra, although Lyon will actually need to give him quality midfield minutes at some stage...I'm not a fan of this "apprenticeship at HB" method he's so fond of.

Weren’t Freo fans happy about getting Brayshaw and Cerra? Did they not celebrate it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 mids that went 2,3,4,5 in the 2017 draft. They were a very even group that stood one rung down from Rayner and hence could have gone in any order.

Who will have the better careers?

Freo in particular have an interest in the outcome. And Brayshaw and Cerra probably looked most at ease at AFL level in year 1, slightly ahead of Dow.

Despite some glimpses LDU looked most off the pace last year. Has had a massive preseason and looked a different player today getting 27 touches in limited game time. Whilst all four have plenty of physical development ahead of them, I think LDU will gain the most improvement in this area, particularly with his fitness and running.

Dow also looked much improved/confident/fit as you would expect for a guy playing only his second year of footy.
Maybe the guy who went number 1 in the same draft Cameron Rayner should be in the poll/discussion.

Does not currently have the endurance of the other 4 but could turn out to be the best of the lot, he's an explosive match winner type.

Think the implication of not including Rayner is that he is clearly the best and would dominate this poll. It's like starting a poll on best bands but leaving out the Beatles

The thread isn’t really about the poll but more to follow their careers. Rayner was a clear no 1 and is more a forward than the others. 2,3,4,5 could have gone in any order, all are primarly mids. Could include Stephenson too but again he’s more a forward and was seen as a step below the top 5.

The thread isn’t really about the poll but more to follow their careers. Rayner was a clear no 1 and is more a forward than the others. 2,3,4,5 could have gone in any order, all are primarly mids. Could include Stephenson too but again he’s more a forward and was seen as a step below the top 5.

Rayner is mostly a medium forward at the moment, but hopefully moving more to the mid field when he's fit enough.

Cerra probably had the best year. Dow started slowly but showed plenty late in the season and I was surprised how quick he is.

I think Dow could be a star, but I'm not discounting any of the others either. Time will tell.

Another consideration is outside of Rayner none of these guys would likely have landed in the top 10 of the 2018 draft, man, shows you how good some of these kids are going to be.

Cerra will have the better career. Dow will go down as a powerful midfielder and reach the A grade bracket. Brayshaw will be your Ed Curnow type players - perhaps slightly better, but we are probably looking at a B+ player. LDU I will reserve judgement on as its just too early to say, I haven't seen enough of him.

Last edited:
Cerra will have the better career. Dow will go down as a powerful midfielder and reach the A grade bracket. Brayshaw will be your Ed Curnow type players - perhaps slightly better, but we are probably looking at a B+ player. LDU I will research judgement on as its just too early to say, I haven't seen enough of him.

Today’s game would be a good place to start. 26 disposals and a shining light on a pretty dark day.

There's going to be a lot of humble pie on this forum this year given the amount of stick he copped last year. Even funnier considering the likes of Clark, Coffield, Bonar, Fogarty O'Brien are still all in the reserves at the moment as well, yet he copped it all last year.

LDU looks clearly the best of this lot so far this year. His disposal is absolutely elite.

Clearly is a bit much and I have no dog in this fight. Cerra also has an elite kick.

Not really, if you look at the advanced stats, it is pretty clear.

He's top 10 in the league in goal assists, has had 5 shots on goal in 2 weeks, 6.5 score involvements a game, disposal eff in the 80's and the least TOG% out of all of Brayshaw, Dow and LDU.

He's averaging 99 ranking points a game from 20.5 disposals, it shows he's just completely damaging when he gets it, once he ups his TOG% (more a case of earning the coaching staff's respect) his stats will go through the roof. Given what he did on the weekend, it's not to far away, I'd say he will be starting in the guts from now on with Cunnington.

Based on AFL rankings his game on the weekend was the best any of the 4 have produced at AFL level so far, Cerra's Rnd 12 game last year against Adelaide the closest to it when he had 30 disposals. LDU's game on the weekend was still rated higher.

Funnily enough, LDU's Rnd 1 game ranked very closely to Brayshaw and Dow's best game at AFL level.

I think Rayner should be added to the poll (and Stephenson for that matter), Rayners start whilst pretty good, is a little bit overstated tbh, it's been no different to the others for the most part.

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...019f46b0c6627ca8bc6?__twitter_impression=true

Meanwhile, North Melbourne’s highly prized No. 4 draft pick from 2017 — Luke Davies-Uniacke — has started 2019 in red hot form.

The 19-year-old has averaged 20.5 disposals and five marks across the opening fortnight of the competition. In his debut season of 2018, Davies-Uniacke averaged just 10.4 touches.

THE BEST SECOND-YEAR PLAYERS
(According to the Official AFL Player Ratings*)

Luke Davies-Uniacke (North Melbourne) +10.1
Gryan Miers (Geelong) +8.8
Charlie Constable (Geelong) +8.5
James Worpel (Hawthorn) +7.8
Tim Kelly (Geelong) +6.4
Oscar Allen (West Coast) +5.8
Sam Taylor (GWS) +4.3
Billy Gowers (Western Bulldogs) +4.0
Jack Higgins (Richmond) +3.5
Brent Daniels (GWS) +3.0
Bailey Banfield (Fremantle) +1.9
Charlie Ballard (Gold Coast) +1.7
Ed Richards (Western Bulldogs) +1.1
Wil Powell (Gold Coast) +1.0
Adam Cerra (Fremantle) +1.0
Jack Petruccelle (West Coast) +0.7
Brody Mihocek (Collingwood) +0.6

*The Official AFL Player Ratings are the best measure for a player. They take into account how a player wins the ball and what he does with it, with a focus on quality rather than quantity. Each second year player’s rating is a year-on-year differential.

Back