Lingsface

Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Very hard choice atm, Walsh is Mr consistent and one of the best mods in the game, Brayshaw a Brownlow favourite and Rozee with the X factor attacking side to his game also now adding midfield possession to his game.

Personally I think I have Walsh in front but can’t split who I would pick between the next two if I had a choice in building a team.

Brayshaw has had the best year of the 3. I think Walsh ends up marginally ahead as a player just because he is marginally better at most things Brayshaw is good at and they have similar playing styles.

Rozee has most upside but until he can back it up week after week I would take the production of Walsh / Brayshaw.
Except defending & leadership. I think that will determine how good Brayshaw is at the end. If that wins flags then Brayshaw will be the best despite stats or hurt factor. He is an amazing 2 way player & inspiring our whole team to work harder.

Brayshaw’s year this year is pretty reminiscent of Walsh’s last year.

Putting up big numbers and dragging the Dockers over the line in plenty of games, transitioning into a top tier player. Won’t win the Brownlow, but every chance to finish in the top few players.

Walsh had a slower start partly due to injury, but he’s worked into the season nicely. He’s already fairly credentialed though, and should float in the top 10-15 players over the next decade.

Rozee keeps improving and has the highest ceiling of the 3. Time will tell if he can continue on his trajectory - it’s nice seeing him running around in the midfield though. Was huge in Port’s comeback against Carlton.

Except defending & leadership. I think that will determine how good Brayshaw is at the end. If that wins flags then Brayshaw will be the best despite stats or hurt factor. He is an amazing 2 way player & inspiring our whole team to work harder.

Fair call on defense not that Walsh is bad defensively but Brayshaw is great so he gets the points there. Leadership is to early to call. Both great in that area and future captains. Brayshaw will be skipper first but that's more down to the age of Fyfe vs Cripps

Brayshaw’s year this year is pretty reminiscent of Walsh’s last year.

Putting up big numbers and dragging the Dockers over the line in plenty of games, transitioning into a top tier player. Won’t win the Brownlow, but every chance to finish in the top few players.

Walsh had a slower start partly due to injury, but he’s worked into the season nicely. He’s already fairly credentialed though, and should float in the top 10-15 players over the next decade.

Rozee keeps improving and has the highest ceiling of the 3. Time will tell if he can continue on his trajectory - it’s nice seeing him running around in the midfield though. Was huge in Port’s comeback against Carlton.
Except Freo have won 12 games already in 2022 & Carlton won 8 in the whole season last year.

Brayshaw also a Brownlow favourite. These two things are not the same.

Fair call on defense not that Walsh is bad defensively but Brayshaw is great so he gets the points there. Leadership is to early to call. Both great in that area and future captains. Brayshaw will be skipper first but that's more down to the age of Fyfe vs Cripps
My leadership call is more based on his work ethic & puff pieces on 100x100 on Christmas Day. He’s now got a lot of players doing it and really putting in extra reps for the team. Projecting future outcomes is a fools errand but I’m very happy he’s at Freo.

Except Freo have won 12 games already in 2022 & Carlton won 8 in the whole season last year.

The first point makes no sense - we’re talking about the ascension of each player from a high quality midfielder to one of the competition’s elite. Which Walsh accomplished 2 years earlier than Brayshaw.

Walsh was also one of the Brownlow favourites last season and ended up churning out 30 votes.

Put down the crack pipe.

Might very well be recency bias but I feel like Brayshaw does the desperate things more than I feel Walsh did last year so I believe his season this year is better than any season Walsh has put together.

Rozee having a good couple of months but just don’t have him in the conversation with the other two.

If given the choice on an open market I’d take Walsh as an overall package because I trust him the most but Brayshaw is super super impressive.

Brayshaw has had the best year of the 3. I think Walsh ends up marginally ahead as a player just because he is marginally better at most things Brayshaw is good at and they have similar playing styles.

Rozee has most upside but until he can back it up week after week I would take the production of Walsh / Brayshaw.
Hard to disagree with much here. If I was to plug Brayshaw a little more I'd say AB is the best of the three defensively. Walsh is overall a little cleaner with disposal and as ridiculous as it is, probably a slightly better tank, but we're talking about two of the best gut runners in the game.

Ceiling of Rozee is something else though, after disappearing for a couple of years thanks to Ken, those Judd-like qualities are showing up again. He's behind the other two at the moment but it's scary what he could be...

Might very well be recency bias but I feel like Brayshaw does the desperate things more than I feel Walsh did last year so I believe his season this year is better than any season Walsh has put together.

Rozee having a good couple of months but just don’t have him in the conversation with the other two.

If given the choice on an open market I’d take Walsh as an overall package because I trust him the most but Brayshaw is super super impressive.
Yeah AB's one-percenters and defensive efforts are his point of difference between the other two, his defensive gut-running is unbelievable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first point makes no sense - we’re talking about the ascension of each player from a high quality midfielder to one of the competition’s elite. Which Walsh accomplished 2 years earlier than Brayshaw.

Walsh was also one of the Brownlow favourites last season and ended up churning out 30 votes.

Put down the crack pipe.
“Brayshaw’s year this year is pretty reminiscent of Walsh’s last year.

Putting up big numbers and dragging the Dockers over the line in plenty of games”

Except Walsh hasn’t to the same level as Brayshaw this year in previous years. His form doesn’t transmit into the team winning like Brayshaw’s transition has & like you claimed.

Walsh has been impacted by injury this year & still sixth line of the betting, same as last year. He’s a gun, I just think the team result will be the measure in the future.

Fair point. Freos extra wins massively works in Brayshaws favour brownlow wise.

Will be interesting how he goes. He has had a bunch of standout games where he is a monty for 3 votes (like tonight). Then he has had a bunch of games where Freo have won and he has been one of a number of good contributors (like last week). Whether he snags 1,2, 3 or 0 votes in these type of games probably determines how close he gets to the medal.

Walsh is an absolute workhorse. His defensive work rate is obscene; he's a deadset running machine.

He was the league's #4 best runner in his rookie season (avg distance covered) and was #1 last year.

Crazy stat: Walsh's average distance last year was better than any single game distance covered by any St Kilda, Port or Freo player during 2021.

I haven't seen enough of Brayshaw to compare their defensive efforts but understand he's basically the gold standard.

“Brayshaw’s year this year is pretty reminiscent of Walsh’s last year.

Putting up big numbers and dragging the Dockers over the line in plenty of games”

Except Walsh hasn’t to the same level as Brayshaw this year in previous years. His form doesn’t transmit into the team winning like Brayshaw’s transition has & like you claimed.

Walsh has been impacted by injury this year & still sixth line of the betting, same as last year. He’s a gun, I just think the team result will be the measure in the future.
Rubbish, he can only play as well as possible given the quality of the team around him.

Clearly his impact was significant last season or he wouldn’t have put up as many votes as he did in the Brownlow voting, but without him the Blues would’ve have only won a couple of games. Chuck 2021 Walsh into this season’s Freo lineup (or even 2022 Walsh) instead of Brayshaw and the W/L are exactly the same.

I’m surprised Walsh’s Brownlow odds are as high as they are given he was injured over the pre-season and took a while to build into the season.

Last edited:
I’d still rather Bailey Smith. Brings more memberships in with him too.

I really like Smith but needs to clean up his disposal to get to the same level as Walsh and Brayshaw. He is often a real butcher. Always surprised it doesn't get called our more in commentary.
I don’t know if two extra turn overs a game and a 10% difference in disposal efficiency is enough to call him a butcher but I do agree with the overall sentiment. He needs to clean it up.

Bias aside. I'd take Brayshaw. Walsh has been a standout since he was drafted but when Brayshaw was taken at 2 many people were scratching their heads as to why.

Well the fact that now he is in discussion with the former number 1 pick as to "who would you rather" shows why.

Work ethic to grow skill wise and leadership to drag a young team (for a long time the youngest) that doesnt have Coleman medallist in McKay kicking goals (potentially a new one if Curnow keeps going), no huge signings like Saad Cerra and co. And instead working alongside more draftees.

Ontop, no brownlow medallist or captain around. And the season where he is a favourite in the brownlow race is the season where he proved he didn't need Cerra. Brayshaw is also extremely resilient to injuries unless you have a rodent looking player throwing a tantrum and having a swing.

If he keeps his trajectory then it will be interesting to see if they can keep up with one another.

Brayshaw's rise this season has been wonderful to watch.

Bias says I would still take Walsh, but absolutely got no problem with people preferring Brayshaw ahead.

It's so satisfying he put that horrific dog act injury from Gaff behind him and well on his way to being the Heir Apparent to Fyfe as Freo's next superstar and dare I say captain?

Kid is a serious player.

Bias aside. I'd take Brayshaw. Walsh has been a standout since he was drafted but when Brayshaw was taken at 2 many people were scratching their heads as to why.

Well the fact that now he is in discussion with the former number 1 pick as to "who would you rather" shows why.

Work ethic to grow skill wise and leadership to drag a young team (for a long time the youngest) that doesnt have Coleman medallist in McKay kicking goals (potentially a new one if Curnow keeps going), no huge signings like Saad Cerra and co. And instead working alongside more draftees.

Ontop, no brownlow medallist or captain around. And the season where he is a favourite in the brownlow race is the season where he proved he didn't need Cerra. Brayshaw is also extremely resilient to injuries unless you have a rodent looking player throwing a tantrum and having a swing.

If he keeps his trajectory then it will be interesting to see if they can keep up with one another.
This is consummate 'rent free' post, but in like 8 different directions.

Back