Moved Thread Break-away League

Remove this Banner Ad

rick james cocaine GIF

I'd be all in for a new league, one were a Communistic Leadership would be banned. Totally decentralized League with fairness and transparency as the core tenets, get some Saudi money like was suggested before and take it global by having teams located in Asian Cities. Get players salaries up there comparable to other competitions, imagine the conversion to AFL if salaries were up in the 10's of millions ?

So it is what it is.

And we are at the mercy of the AFL.

Clubs don’t have the courage anymore to contest the AFL and umpires.

So why should we? All the gloom and despair that’s on BigFooty at the moment, just results in nothing.

Better to chin up and think about one’s own inner serenity.

Always look on the bright side of life (whistling while walking away in the sunset)
You missed finals, it happens.

Needs the Saudi's to come in.

For the 500 million they offered Messi they could buy the 12 biggest clubs (Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond, West Coast, Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney
, Adelaide, Brisbane, Port, Freo and Melbourne) and relocate the whole thing.

Funny you have Melbourne and Port in but not Essendon!

The idea that you could buy the 12 biggest clubs for $500M is actually dumber than the OP. The total annual revenue of those clubs wouldn't be that far below $1B.

It would cost you billions to buy out the AFL even if the clubs were for sale.

I just knew opening this thread up that it would be started by a Richmond supporer

I just knew being a Richmond supporter, and starting such a thread that sooner or later this comment would come up. Like clockwork really, and unimaginative.Poor Tigers will soon lose confidence in starting stupid threads like these.

I just read through the tears on BigFooty about many supporters from all clubs being disgruntled by the AFL and break-away is mentioned with other things.

So I only bought it up on how feasible it can be? Obviously not, and it’s what I thought, but still could have been fun to discuss.

But the daggers that came out on this thread surprised me. It was just a bit of fun, but if you got supporters suggesting break-away League, then guide them to this thread - it will set them straight.

With members of clubs getting frustrated by the AFL, what clubs would make the move to start a break-away league where the club owns the league instead of the league owning the clubs.

Which clubs would be invited? How many clubs in the League will the first season be?

Will the break-away clubs have the right to their name, logo and jumpers? If not how would they re-brand themselves?

How will the AFL respond? Will they invite clubs from VFL, SANFL, WAFL etc to replace the missing clubs? Even inviting back Fitzroy?

Will the break-away league need to establish a new sport as Rugby Union and League as AFL are the keepers of the code (or what it is called).

Could it become two big rivaling Leagues of Australian Football? Will it be good for the game?

Which League would Tasmania join?

I’m clueless of what can legally be done, but I guess GWS and Gold Coast probably won’t be able to leave the AFL.
Its not going to happen

Some wild s**t in this thread.

The AFL clubs handed their trademarks and identity to the AFL in the 90s in a direct effort to prevent a superleague.

Sure, if Essendon wanted to leave to a different league so they could win a final then there is nothing stopping them. They just can't call themselves Essendon. Or the Bombers. Or wear a red sash on black. Or use any AFL contracted players. And there's nothing stopping the AFL from setting up a new Essendon Bombers with the black and red slash using their old players.

The AFL is by design un breakawayable.

And this talk of buying clubs is also laughable. A club may be 'worth' 100 million dollars on a spreadsheet, but that doesn't mean you can just buy it. Clubs are non profits. They have no owners, instead they are mostly member controlled. Would you vote to sell your club off to the Saudis for 100 million? How about 500? Let's make it 50 trilion while we are at it. Whats in it for you or your club? Clubs only go private when they are in financial distress and need to money to continue their opperations.

This has all been thought through a long time ago.

With members of clubs getting frustrated by the AFL, what clubs would make the move to start a break-away league where the club owns the league instead of the league owning the clubs.

Which clubs would be invited? How many clubs in the League will the first season be?

Will the break-away clubs have the right to their name, logo and jumpers? If not how would they re-brand themselves?

How will the AFL respond? Will they invite clubs from VFL, SANFL, WAFL etc to replace the missing clubs? Even inviting back Fitzroy?

Will the break-away league need to establish a new sport as Rugby Union and League as AFL are the keepers of the code (or what it is called).

Could it become two big rivaling Leagues of Australian Football? Will it be good for the game?

Which League would Tasmania join?

I’m clueless of what can legally be done, but I guess GWS and Gold Coast probably won’t be able to leave the AFL.

Can’t happen.
The AFL own the trademarks, names, contracts everything.
Clubs handed over all rights years ago to avoid this very thing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Can’t happen.
The AFL own the trademarks, names, contracts everything.
Clubs handed over all rights years ago to avoid this very thing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's interesting.

Fitzroy FC still exist outside the AFL, call themselves Fitzroy Football Club, wear the red FFC logo jumper that they wore in the AFL (FFC logo is trademarked to the Fitzroy Football Club not the AFL) and use all the history of their club in the VFA, VFL, and AFL in their current marketing and merchandising. They sell Fitzroy memorabilia and merchandise too. They currently don't call themselves the Lions or use the Fitzroy lion logo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back