Opinion Breakaway Discussion - Discrimination & Political Correctness

Remove this Banner Ad

Well you get to certain age in life where you take responsibility for your actions, you know that old saying
Old enough to know better
Racism is not a flaw in someones nature

It always comes down to the individual in court, as the court doesn't take into account bad parenting and upbringing.

That aside, we don't even know the motives and intentions of this individual, but what we want is a public crucifixion and we want it now.
We're ******* idiots with a pack mentality.

Racism isn't something that we are born with, like many habits it's bred into us.

Thankfully there are strides being made to erode those old habits, replacing them with better ones.

The important thing to understand is that it takes time for that process to unfold.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

How about we send out a message that we're willing to help the individual instead of shaming them?

It is, if it's been indoctrinated into an individual from an early age.
Some people indoctrinate their kids to follow a particular team......some people tell their kids not how to think but what to think......and some people don't think at all.
Appeal to the possibility of an underlying good nature of the being, instead of demeaning them and only forcing their views to firm in the direction they've been indoctrinated into, by whichever means.....but you're probably right in that people aren't naturally born racist as much as they're not born with so many of the bad habits many of us possess.
Parents have a lot to answer for.

Despite good intentions and my best effort, there are probably things I have passed onto my kids that will cause them embarrassment/angst/problems/issues at some point in their future.

Bit harsh to blame kids for their parents failings. On the other hand, eventually people can make their own decisions and can educate themselves so they don’t continue to blindly follow what they think is the right course purely because they ignore any evidence to the contrary.

I have a fairly large group of Islander friends and it is amazing I’ve never heard a single racist comment when around them and I I’ve never heard them ever mention it happening before. I have one close Indian friend and I’ve seen him called a Black **** twice for nothing but standing in line for a taxi and someone bumping into him at the pub. It’s simply because they know what they can get away with and will pick the easy target. That’s exactly what the internet is, it’s a safe way to spread hate with no consequences. Some of these people have a burning hate deep down inside and this is the only safe way to get it out, that’s why they need to be named and shamed imo it’ll stop the cowards which is the majority

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. Shame them.
Good idea.........and what if that individual tops him, or her self for the shame? He/She deserved it?

Hysteria leads to a dead-end street. Calm and considerate discussion on difficult topics is a much better way to handle things.
Sure, this is a more in line for a SRP discussion, but 'outing' people for whatever flaws they may have in their nature isn't a particularly wise idea for mine.

Any ideas?

Yep. Certainly see your point. There's no doubt there appears to be a real collegiate attitude between the indigenous players but I can't help but wonder though whether it's a response to the problem. Perhaps they feel a greater bond because it's been/is necessary to band together in order to overcome the racism that they've copped. Perhaps if the message was that they're AFL players, not indigenous AFL players, they'd feel less need to group together.

I suppose the other thing is that even though it was player driven, in doesn't necessarily mean that's it's the right decision.

I'm a white man who certainly is not across this issue but feel a little uncomfortable with separating the teams based on race.

Personally, the indigenous community in the AFL has done a significant amount of good for their communities, the AFL and the population in general.

Love watching them ply their trade in the AFL, their skill set is so different to the norm that I feel having a seperate team made up of entirely indigenous talent was one of the few reasons to watch the AFLX.

Was shocked they didn’t do so well as I thought this format was their bread and butter, but any time we can celebrate the skills of an indigenous team the closer we all can come to an appreciation of what the indigenous people bring to all walks of life.

I get your view, inclusiveness in all forms no matter what colour skin you have, but that to me is club land stuff where they incorporate into the club and team culture in mostly positive ways as a minority but it’s important that they be able to express themselves as a collective to highlight not their skin colour but their inate football instincts.

To the peanut/s that want to racially abuse one of the greatest indigenous footballers that I’ve ever seen, I hope they catch up with you and ban your arse from ever attending an AFL game again!!

Parents have a lot to answer for.

Despite good intentions and my best effort, there are probably things I have passed onto my kids that will cause them embarrassment/angst/problems/issues at some point in their future.

Bit harsh to blame kids for their parents failings. On the other hand, eventually people can make their own decisions and can educate themselves so they don’t continue to blindly follow what they think is the right course purely because they ignore any evidence to the contrary.
cracking post from the jabernator......:thumbsu:

I have a fairly large group of Islander friends and it is amazing I’ve never heard a single racist comment when around them and I I’ve never heard them ever mention it happening before. I have one close Indian friend and I’ve seen him called a Black **** twice for nothing but standing in line for a taxi and someone bumping into him at the pub. It’s simply because they know what they can get away with and will pick the easy target. That’s exactly what the internet is, it’s a safe way to spread hate with no consequences. Some of these people have a burning hate deep down inside and this is the only safe way to get it out, that’s why they need to be named and shamed imo it’ll stop the cowards which is the majority
others are terrified of losing something they had no right to in the first place........

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back