Opinion Breakaway Discussion - Discrimination & Political Correctness

Remove this Banner Ad

:) I did back it up to say that maybe I shouldn't worry about it but the immediate reflex is to get my back up, before I have time to think.
Why? I think it may be because terms such as Pal, Chief, Buddy etc were often used when someone wanted to avoid using your name because they had a beef with you, or just wanted to get under your skin. That's my experience and of course it doesn't make it everyone else's.

I'd bet you that if someone made a point of calling you buddy over and again, you'd start to wonder, "What's your problem?"
Again at times it gets down to the intent rather than the term itself, but some people can get confused between the two.
Yeah you did back it up, hadn't read that far before I posted, lesson learned. I'm just one of those that is sick of people being offended by everything.

My bad, I've snapped at a couple people now. You've raised some very relevant points. I'd converse but we've been asked to take it elsewhere so I'll cease. All good. Apologies for venturing way off topic mods.

Its ironic that this whole debate is rather elitist. Those with higher educational backgrounds and greater access in terms of time to post are the most vocal about this.
After this whole debate has anyone come to a conclusion that anyone can understand, follow and put into practice without fear?
We could of course take the shortcut route to equality and shut up and listen to women but when was that ever a viable option.

Its ironic that this whole debate is rather elitist. Those with higher educational backgrounds and greater access in terms of time to post are the most vocal about this.
After this whole debate has anyone come to a conclusion that anyone can understand, follow and put into practice without fear?
I have no tertiary education. Where does that leave me?

Still bowing to the PC brigade. FTR, I'm one who wants a republic & for the Indigenous flag to replace the Union Jack on our national flag. I've mentioned that to a couple Indigenous folk before, they hate the idea. Some people will never be pleased.
Ever been marginalised, hurt, humiliated because of your sex, sexual preference, heritage, religion? Ever? How'd you feel? Just wanna get on with it?

Ever been marginalised, hurt, humiliated because of your sex, sexual preference, heritage, religion? Ever? How'd you feel? Just wanna get on with it?

As the convo is going on, I will give you a relatively trivial yet potentially sinister example from my past of reverse sexism, as you continually believe only one "side" is aggrieved.

I have outlined my marital issues previously, and was separated from my first wife.
My daughter attended Brownies the younger level of that bastion of propriety, the Girl Guides. She loved it and was invested and excited as the Mother/daughter day approached, where the girls get to showcase their time and achievements in the group. My ex was uninterested leaving my daughter devastated. In this "politically correct" world I stepped up and filled the void. My daughter was far more important than my discomfort at entering the girls only environment.

It was indeed girls only, I was the only male over the age of 3. My discomfort should have been trepidation, only 1 of their 4 "leaders" was remotely civil. The term vilification would not have been out of place, I dared to invade their little world. After 3/4 of an hour of a 2 hour session, my 10yo daughter turned to me and asked why the ladies that she as an impressionable child "revered" were being so nasty to her daddy. Not satisfied with the answers she asked me if we could go home after living in anticipation of the event for weeks.

Brownies was one of the highlights of my daughter's week, she quit very soon after some startling revelations for an innocent young girl. I could (and probably did) use some terminology you deem repugnant to describe these would
be leaders and role models. Does this make them or me sexist??????????????????
Sexism exists in many forms and starts very early in life. Neither sex is immune to it. Granted women usually are on the receiving end when it becomes physical (although I could share another story of a "rough" couple I once knew, where the female I worked with ended up stabbing her partner, he died. They were both heavy drinkers and had plenty of history. She was acquitted of a criminal charge, but later on a girl's night out, to which my sister was privy, admitted otherwise)

Your offerings continue to assert a one sided view. Each and every one of us are potential victims and potential perpetrators (even the most polite, pious, educated and politically correct).

How do you feel ATM? Superior?

I have a Turkish step father, had a Czech grandfather, a grandmother who was ridiculed in public for her involuntary movements (Parkinson's disease) etc. I have a fair grasp on hurt & marginalisation.

Should I let this define me for the rest of time? Or try to move on and eventually find peace?

We've been asked to move on, I am. Replied out of courtesy. The end.

According to mine also. BUT WOW! LOOK AT ME NOW! etc.
You're gonna make it after all. Just don't seek equal pay, a place in a Liberal Cabinet or a healthy superannuation.

People do we have to attack our own??

C'mon we are better supporter group than this and don't make us the bad guys which have to start Infracting people especially our own supporters on their own board. :(

We are better than this and play nice respecting other peoples points of view or do not reply and this goes for all not just a select few.

Equality is extremely important and I'm glad that society as a whole recoznises this and is taking steps in the right direction from the lawmakers down. There's one thing that does irk me about these conversations though; the constant references to the 'sins of the fathers' (male gender pronoun used purposefully) as argument for many subjects including women's and indigenous rights, justifying some forms of 'greater equality' or 'reverse discrimination' as referred to by some.

IMHO, we have to stop looking to the past and causing it to shape our actions today

For me, it's extremely important to never forget those issues and the mistakes of the past, but I feel like unless a reset button is pushed as a collective, we will never truly see each other as equals across cultures.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Equality is extremely important and I'm glad that society as a whole recoznises this and is taking steps in the right direction from the lawmakers down. There's one thing that does irk me about these conversations though; the constant references to the 'sins of the fathers' (male gender pronoun used purposefully) as argument for many subjects including women's and indigenous rights, justifying some forms of 'greater equality' or 'reverse discrimination' as referred to by some.

IMHO, we have to stop looking to the past and causing it to shape our actions today

For me, it's extremely important to never forget those issues and the mistakes of the past, but I feel like unless a reset button is pushed as a collective, we will never truly see each other as equals across cultures.
100% this. Thanks for putting it in terms I couldn't.

True equality, genuine equality between the sexes is vitally important, or so MrsCoach16 keeps telling me... But is it a realistic ambition?

I was present when my ex wife gave birth to our son. During Thirteen hours in labour I saw her do things that I couldn't do if you gave me ten million dollars. She later described it as a natural part of her life... I changed a handle on a door at home and didn't stop talking about it for two months. I will never be equal to any woman!

On the other hand, as much as women absolutely deserve equal pay for equal work, rather than the 84c of the male dollar they receive , I can't help but think there's a tax to be paid, given if I'm on a ship with MrsCoach16 and we hit an iceberg, she gets to go home on a comfy life boat and I have to sink to the bottom of the ocean while the "band plays on"...

Tongue in cheek, trying to lighten the mood, don't smash me, please !

Last edited:
From the EOWA stats I do annually, it seems as though they measure it across all industries, and women are generally in lower paid industries. I'm not sure about direct comparisons per role.
I thought equal pay for the same role was the issue.

Not sure anyone could sensibly argue that unskilled roles should attract the same renumeration as roles that require tertiary quals & entensive training.

Having worked in private industry for a stint if they could get away with paying woman less for the same role they would and they would exclusively fill these roles with women. There is no evidence that either of these is occurring.

I really dislike the terms 'reverse discrimination', 'reverse sexism' etc. Discrimination is discrimination regardless of who it is committed by or who it is directed to. There is no such thing, in my opinion, as 'reverse' discrimination/racism/sexism etc.

Not having a go at the people who have used it here, but I just wish these terms would go away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back