BREAKING Harley Bennell - The end ?

Remove this Banner Ad

They are your assumptions. I don't agree with them.

Like I said, Bell doesn't strike me as that kind of guy. Saying he doesn't like Harley is a way for you to justify what I think is clear business decision by Bell. Our club is clearly not run well from the front office. I wanted changes and I'm more than happy to give Belly the benefit of the doubt given how long the current bozo's at the top have had.

I just make the assumption because I can't understand why we'd make the move otherwise. What are we losing having Harley sit on the list another year at (likely) minimum wage? Particularly considering we've already signed the bloke and hence have to pay the wage anyway. Low risk high reward right? He's obviously walking on egg-shells regardless for next year so if he does anything wrong it's an easy delist without much problem.

I'm probably on my own island here re still being hopeful about Harley but I just can't see how he's a worse proposition to keep on our list than a guy like Jones/Meek.

Ross seriously improved our culture when he came to the club but as he’s become mates with the players, standards have been allowed to drop.

Looked at the Prelim 2013 other night....no one should be losing sight of how good that team was, how long it took to develop it and the physical toll of that brand. Very proud of that team that went so close. We are coming again...Im certain of it...but devoping a different side and brand of footy because of rule changes.

Why does anyone actually give a s**t, he isnt a Nat Fyfe, a Neale, he isn't part of our planning to win a Premiership, he has played 2 games in three years, he manages to find ways to keep off the field, drinking during his Rehab, trips to Japan etc, he isn't serious about playing AFL he wants the free money, he is a list clogger, no good has came from picking up Bennell, from Nightclub fights to constant erratic behavior, its time our club cleaned up its culture and moved forward to hopefully sustained success again

Again? I must have missed it... ☹️

I just make the assumption because I can't understand why we'd make the move otherwise. What are we losing having Harley sit on the list another year at (likely) minimum wage? Particularly considering we've already signed the bloke and hence have to pay the wage anyway. Low risk high reward right? He's obviously walking on egg-shells regardless for next year so if he does anything wrong it's an easy delist without much problem.

I'm probably on my own island here re still being hopeful about Harley but I just can't see how he's a worse proposition to keep on our list than a guy like Jones/Meek.

You're not on you're own. I'd like to see Harley play next year. I think a lot of the conjecture and speculation on here is, to be honest, poor.

Why would the club (or him) let it leak that they're trying to trade him or they'll delist him? Doesn't help their trading hand because the other clubs know they'll be able to pick him up for sweet FA (literally) soon enough?

If there have been behaviour issues why did the club give him a new contract? (Yes I know all the stuff about Bell being in charge and line in the sand/new broom etc.)

I'd rather wait till we trade and delist him before commenting on his future at the club because I don't want to be one of those who MIGHT have to say I was wrong in a year.

Has Harley said ANYTHING in any of his social media that he won't be back?

I don't know how much inside knowledge posters on here have but I reckon there's a fair amount of heresay.

Until he leaves he's still Purple.

You're not on you're own. I'd like to see Harley play next year. I think a lot of the conjecture and speculation on here is, to be honest, poor.

Why would the club (or him) let it leak that they're trying to trade him or they'll delist him? Doesn't help their trading hand because the other clubs know they'll be able to pick him up for sweet FA (literally) soon enough?

If there have been behaviour issues why did the club give him a new contract? (Yes I know all the stuff about Bell being in charge and line in the sand/new broom etc.)

I'd rather wait till we trade and delist him before commenting on his future at the club because I don't want to be one of those who MIGHT have to say I was wrong in a year.

Has Harley said ANYTHING in any of his social media that he won't be back?

I don't know how much inside knowledge posters on here have but I reckon there's a fair amount of heresay.

Until he leaves he's still Purple.

Yeah is it a coincidence this is all around the same time as Ryans news?

Ross seriously improved our culture when he came to the club but as he’s become mates with the players, standards have been allowed to drop.

This 100%. Professionalism and can do attitude is non existence now. I blame this on the juicy contract Rossy got at the beginning of 2016. Went into party mode and probably felt mission accomplished.

This 100%. Professionalism and can do attitude is non existence now. I blame this on the juicy contract Rossy got at the beginning of 2016. Went into party mode and probably felt mission accomplished.
When the club is not in contention and playing kids, RTB can hardly coach the same way as he did from '12-'15...If we get Hogan, Lobb and maybe 1 other on top of Conco - expect Ross to change the way he is this year and players will need to earn their stripes to get a spot in the 22...

I can't remember who it was, Sir Alex Ferguson I think, and he was loved by the 15 he'd play every week but disregarded the others guys outside it. I think that's the issue with Ross Lyon. Certain guys get faith from him and other guys get nothing. Flags and Grand Finals are made these days on coaches who get the best out of the bottom tier.

I think anyone who thinks RTB hasn't evolved his coaching style since he started at the saints in '07 (I think it was), is not being realistic.
People change overtime and evolve - I'm sure Ross has over 10+ years as a senior coach with a 60+% winning record - 4 Grandfinals and plenty of finals campaigns including a couple of years in the wilderness - all character building

He seems to be letting the cobblers do the cobbling at the moment - hope he is re-charging his batteries like Buckley is and getting himself ready for a big '19 season and a tilt at getting us back into final contention.

I think anyone who thinks RTB hasn't evolved his coaching style since he started at the saints in '07 (I think it was), is not being realistic.
People change overtime and evolve - I'm sure Ross has over 10+ years as a senior coach with a 60+% winning record - 4 Grandfinals and plenty of finals campaigns including a couple of years in the wilderness - all character building

He seems to be letting the cobblers do the cobbling at the moment - hope he is re-charging his batteries like Buckley is and getting himself ready for a big '19 season and a tilt at getting us back into final contention.

I think like any good coach Ross needs support and the structures around him.

If that doesn't happen then I think we start to drift as a club as far as our purpose and intent (i.e. are we rebuilding or not which took a while to decide).

I hope the club is finally putting these structures in place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my experience of many sporting codes there is one thing that stands out. It is winning. In a winning team, the culture seems to take care of itself. When you are losing things seem to naturally implode.

Culture at Freo has been a rocky ride, and it has been the best under Ross - that is a clear fact, if you have read the books from various stake holders it is very hard to argue. Under Mark Harvey there was unrest with the playing group. Under Chris Connolly, he was the first coach to unite the group, but had issues with game plan and mixed messages. He still got us on track.

So on Harley, I was elated when we signed him up in what seemed like a bargain. I watched the game in which he kicked 6 goals off a wing, like Gary Senior did many moons ago. We have had our share of jets that have not fired. Remember Clem Michael and what about the explosive Morabito.

These are players that can win Brownlow's and win games. They can be the difference.

What do you do? Play it safe, or go for glory. It is a fine line. This story with Harley just upsets me. I really wanted him to entertain us on the field.
There is a tiny part that says he may still be here, and maybe Bell is going to be the one to kick him into gear, but unfortunately his body may be not up for it anyway. It seems he is gone, but strange how it has all gone quiet...

I think like any good coach Ross needs support and the structures around him.

If that doesn't happen then I think we start to drift as a club as far as our purpose and intent (i.e. are we rebuilding or not which took a while to decide).

I hope the club is finally putting these structures in place.

Its up to Ross to make that happen. As an experienced head coach, he should know what he needs around him to bring on field success. I can't see any reason why the club wouldn't support him in having what he needs to be successful.

The fact people use 'well we've done our best with Ross Lyon,' and our best was losing one Grand Final, and then getting progressively worse after and how that's alright is baaaaa-aaa-aad. Would a big Victorian club stand for that? It's classic Dockers, 'hey we're alright, leave us alone!' mediocrity-loving.

Its up to Ross to make that happen. As an experienced head coach, he should know what he needs around him to bring on field success. I can't see any reason why the club wouldn't support him in having what he needs to be successful.
Actually it's the Football Operations Manager's responsibility I would have thought..

Actually it's the Football Operations Manager's responsibility I would have thought..

If Ross isn't happy with something in the footy dept, he would say so. If he wanted it changed he'd request it. His job depends on it. And as I said, I'd doubt that he wouldn't get the club's full support. He's obviously highly rated and is a very experienced head coach.

When you can't do your job to your full ability do you just sit there and blame your boss or do you proactively seek out changes and improvements with your boss?

The fact people use 'well we've done our best with Ross Lyon,' and our best was losing one Grand Final, and then getting progressively worse after and how that's alright is baaaaa-aaa-aad. Would a big Victorian club stand for that? It's classic Dockers, 'hey we're alright, leave us alone!' mediocrity-loving.

A big Victorian club? No way. Sydney? No way. Adelaide? Nuh. WC? s**t no! Any successful sporting club that's in the business of succeeding wouldn't.

Nah, still more or less the same for mine. Drop numbers back, turn it into a congested hard slog for both teams.

If Ross isn't happy with something in the footy dept, he would say so. If he wanted it changed he'd request it. His job depends on it. And as I said, I'd doubt that he wouldn't get the club's full support. He's obviously highly rated and is a very experienced head coach.

When you can't do your job to your full ability do you just sit there and blame your boss or do you proactively seek out changes and improvements with your boss?
I agree with you, my comment was more around everyone seems to think Ross is the only official at the club making decisions..

What’s the latest on this?

I found out through a mate (all I’ll say is he’s a Waterman) that Harley was drunk and stoned on the Saturday afternoon of the Doig and was told not to bother coming that night. Doesn’t surprise me as I’ve seen him stoned out of his mind countless times. Can definitely see why someone like Bell, who holds respect so highly, wants rid.

What’s the latest on this?

I found out through a mate (all I’ll say is he’s a Waterman) that Harley was drunk and stoned on the Saturday afternoon of the Doig and was told not to bother coming that night. Doesn’t surprise me as I’ve seen him stoned out of his mind countless times. Can definitely see why someone like Bell, who holds respect so highly, wants rid.
What does stoned mean in the 21st century? Weed or Cocaine or Speed?

I can't remember who it was, Sir Alex Ferguson I think, and he was loved by the 15 he'd play every week but disregarded the others guys outside it. I think that's the issue with Ross Lyon. Certain guys get faith from him and other guys get nothing. Flags and Grand Finals are made these days on coaches who get the best out of the bottom tier.
I think you completely contradicted yourself there.. Sir Alex did alright last I recall...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back