Breaking into the 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Naa.....would have traded/delisted 2 or 3 years ago. Has had plenty of opportunity and never really took his chances in my view. I live in a Broomhead loving household, but even my partner has now lost interest. Really hope I'm wrong, but cant see him bringing value.
He broke his leg taking his chance.
Whether he will be into best 22 remains to be seen but that can be said of a lot of players; Our list is that strong bar injuries.
A best 30 is certainly on the cards.

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Naa.....would have traded/delisted 2 or 3 years ago. Has had plenty of opportunity and never really took his chances in my view. I live in a Broomhead loving household, but even my partner has now lost interest. Really hope I'm wrong, but cant see him bringing value.

I see him as a bit like Aish only with better skills and not quite as good a mark. But the same in that half the board would have traded/delisted Aish last year, but he stepped up. I was expecting Broomhead to Do that this year - until that leg.

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
The 2 who I think could actually make a big difference going forward, structure-wise, if they were good enough to get a shot would be McLarty and Murphy.

Unfortunately it looks like neither is gonna happen.
I understand your feelings that McLarty won't happen; I haven't seen enough of him in match situations to really have a strong opinion. I know he has no tank, but time trial times don't maketh the good footballer.
Murphy on the other hand, has shown that he can hold his own at AFL level in the brief look we got of him. He has great skills and a very good footy brain. He hasn't finished growing either so could almost end up a KPP. I think we can look forward to a long Collingwood career for Murphy.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Seriously. No love for Broomhead :(

I think he's already shown that he's fringe best 22 when he get's a decent run at it.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
The 2 who I think could actually make a big difference going forward, structure-wise, if they were good enough to get a shot would be McLarty and Murphy.

The rumours of McLarty getting delisted would be horrible if true. At the least you need to give him a bit more time as a rookie.

And I would suspect that if we had more trust in Murphy then we wouldn't have to been to stressed about matching Langdons contract request, and would rather have traded him out to Sydney whilst his value was at a high.

I think you're assessment and subsequent conclusion of/from those events is very creative to say the least. Not sure I'd join the dots to reach the same conclusions.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
I think he's already shown that he's fringe best 22 when he get's a decent run at it.
To me he has all the key attributes but no confidence. When he did play, we weren’t going that well and it showed in his performances he was tentative and made uncharacteristically bad decisions and mistakes (going on VFL form). He’s obviously had a lot of bad luck, will likely get 2 years on the rookie list, let’s hope he gets a clean run and can build some confidence in his ability because he certainly has the makings of a great footballer.

surfer1

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2006
coogee
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
parramatta
Assuming we get Quanor and he does a Stephenson also assuming Moore comes good how do you see the back six at start of year?

Maynard Moore Crisp
Howe Langdon Quanor

Is a possibility how do you fit Dunn Goldy and Shazz in ??

Assuming we get Quanor and he does a Stephenson also assuming Moore comes good how do you see the back six at start of year?

Maynard Moore Crisp
Howe Langdon Quanor

Is a possibility how do you fit Dunn Goldy and Shazz in ??
Shazz will be on the interchange and Goldy &Dunn will be emergencies.

Bored_Pie

Club Legend
Jan 8, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nathan Murphy will play regularly I reckon. He's a bigger Matthew Scharenberg. Good skills and a great mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bored_Pie

Club Legend
Jan 8, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood

The rumours of McLarty getting delisted would be horrible if true. At the least you need to give him a bit more time as a rookie.

And I would suspect that if we had more trust in Murphy then we wouldn't have to been to stressed about matching Langdons contract request, and would rather have traded him out to Sydney whilst his value was at a high.
Nathan Murphy is skinny as a bean stork and is 18 years old ffs. Jesus.

No club would do that.. Murphy will be a jet.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
I think you're assessment and subsequent conclusion of/from those event is very creative to say the least. Not sure I'd join the dots to reach the same conclusions.

Nathan Murphy is skinny as a bean stork and is 18 years old ffs. Jesus.

No club would do that.. Murphy will be a jet.

I just feel we have a glut of mid-sized defenders, and Murphy is another one to add to the list: Howe, Shaz, Langdon, Goldsack all should be best 22 players when healthy, and all would ideally be in the mid-sized role. Dunn and Moore would be the true KPD's. Shaz and Goldsack have shown the ability to play bigger, but both get seriously exposed against true KPF's.
Roughead and Murphy would be depth to that group, and probably Quaynor and Appleby could also play that mid-sized role if needed.

Even if we only get half a season out of Moore and Shaz, that is a lot of depth for those 4 defensive posts. With that current lineup - how many games will Murphy get? He's right at the bottom of that group, and depending on injuries, is probably only looking at 2-4 games next year. From what I saw in the last couple of games, I reckon he deserves more.
It may be a year or two early for him to really break into the 22, but I would like him given opportunities. Its just not gonna happen with so many guys who play the same role.

He'd be good, but I just reckon Corey Gault would be better for our structure as he'd be able to play the Number 2 ruck role, thus keeping Cox up forward.
Please don’t be patronising, this thread is for serious discussion only.

Bored_Pie

Club Legend
Jan 8, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
I just feel we have a glut of mid-sized defenders, and Murphy is another one to add to the list: Howe, Shaz, Langdon, Goldsack all should be best 22 players when healthy, and all would ideally be in the mid-sized role. Dunn and Moore would be the true KPD's. Shaz and Goldsack have shown the ability to play bigger, but both get seriously exposed against true KPF's.
Roughead and Murphy would be depth to that group, and probably Quaynor and Appleby could also play that mid-sized role if needed.

Even if we only get half a season out of Moore and Shaz, that is a lot of depth for those 4 defensive posts. With that current lineup - how many games will Murphy get? He's right at the bottom of that group, and depending on injuries, is probably only looking at 2-4 games next year. From what I saw in the last couple of games, I reckon he deserves more.
It may be a year or two early for him to really break into the 22, but I would like him given opportunities. Its just not gonna happen with so many guys who play the same role.
He isn't at the bottom. Murphy can play DEF or FWD even could go on a Wing. I'd do some research..

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Who do you all think is our best back 6 they we want playing at the top end of the season?
Langdon, Dunn, Crisp, Maynard, Moore, Howe. I'll leave Scharenberg on the bench, for now. Goldsack should still be very good, and around the mark.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Murphy really comes on next year, Appleby might establish himself, and who knows how good Quaynor will be in his first season. We have lots of options!

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Like others have said, how amazing would Mclarty be if it happened to work out with him.

I have hope Mclarty at fullback and Moore at centre half back can put an end to our key defender worries.

I like to think our defensive group of Moore/Howe/Langdon/Scharenberg/Crisp/Maynard, we can afford to give Mclarty the jobs on Hawkins/Kennedy/Mcdonald and back our guys in to hopefully cut off attacks and rebound. Mclarty would have to improve though, its not impossible he passes Goldsacks form. I also think addition of Moore gives our fullback alot of extra support even if Moore takes the second forward, his height and leap lets him punch and mark at heights our other defenders can’t.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
He'd be good, but I just reckon Corey Gault would be better for our structure as he'd be able to play the Number 2 ruck role, thus keeping Cox up forward.

Chris Egan and Damien Adkins on the wings will give us a lot of pace also , both are excitement machines with serious wheels

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Chris Egan and Damien Adkins on the wings will give us a lot of pace also , both are excitement machines with serious wheels

I loved Adkins, was shattered when we traded him to the Weagles.

Back