• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
I might grab Berry whilst no one's yet called him. Reckon Cook and Tilthorpe are pretty safe bets to show a lot more this year given what we saw last year.

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
At a bit over 23 years of age I'm not sure he qualifies as young in footy terms and he has been on the list for a while now, but if his body holds up Elliot Himmelberg might surprise a few. Perhaps not by becoming a gun, but certainly a very handy marking target up forward who for a big man (198cm) can also gather the ground ball to snag a goal.

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Legs, Wests Tigers
At a bit over 23 years of age I'm not sure he qualifies as young in footy terms and he has been on the list for a while now, but if his body holds up Elliot Himmelberg might surprise a few. Perhaps not by becoming a gun, but certainly a very handy marking target up forward who for a big man (198cm) can also gather the ground ball to snag a goal.
Still baffling how we managed him at the start of this year given his awesome finish to 2020.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

So many choices...

Pedlar is the one who we need for a point of difference in the midfield for his explosiveness. However, not sure he will have a breakout year until 2023, but hopefully a solid contribution next year & remains mainly injury free.

Thilthorpe & Cook i think a more likely in 2022... & I'm excited by both.

The 2 to keep an eye on after getting limited AFL exposure this year are McAsey & Worell. Really hope at least 1 of them are settled in our best 22 by the end of the season.

I'm assuming natural progression from Schoenberg, Jones & McHenry.

Genuinely hope there is many choices that lead to difficulties in picking which player had the best breakout year.

If this were to happen, making the 8 in 2023 becomes realistic and from this point onwards maybe, just maybe a window may open up.

Pick4To6

Team Captain
Tasmanian Team
Jan 31, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Still baffling how we managed him at the start of this year given his awesome finish to 2020.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

His what now?

Last 10 games, only broke 15 touches once and averaged like 9.8 PPG.

4 goals in last 6 rounds and 9 in total. 9 goals after round 9

Your expectations are extremely low if you think he had an “awesome finish to the year”

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Legs, Wests Tigers
His what now?

Your expectations are extremely low if you think he had an “awesome finish to the year”

Relative to his year and his overall development, his trajectory skyrocketed in those last few games.

I remember being at the GWS game and he was clunking everything. Finally looked like he was going to realise his potential

UcantCme

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Depends on the definition of breakout?

Breakout for me is a player that has pushed into our best 22 and is ready to go to the next level, Schoenberg, Ned, Jones and RT

The above 4 players mentioned are ready to put a stronger stamp on the team and competition.

Whereas the likes of Pedlar and Cook, their next step is to cement themselves in the best 22, that in itself is a step but for me a breakout is taking that 2nd step to having that respect at an industry level

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Depends on the definition of breakout?

Breakout for me is a player that has pushed into our best 22 and is ready to go to the next level, Schoenberg, Ned, Jones and RT

The above 4 players mentioned are ready to put a stronger stamp on the team and competition.

Whereas the likes of Pedlar and Cook, their next step is to cement themselves in the best 22, that in itself is a step but for me a breakout is taking that 2nd step to having that respect at an industry level

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, I tend to go along with this.

Schoenbergs probably the big one for mine, really developed well throughout the year but still a relative unknown. I reckon he breaks into our starting midfield this year and stamps himself as a young gun of the competition.

Jones and McHenry I think really settled into the side and their roles towards the end of the year. I think its really important for their development that they be allowed to consolidate those roles this year before we start throwing them around the ground into different roles, like we did with Milera.

Thilthorpe will improve, but I think he's still 1-2 years away from genuine breakout. I'd love to see 20+ games, ~30 goals and ~5 marks a game.

Berry I reckon is ready to do what Shoenberg did this year, consolidate his spot in the side and start to pressure that starting midfield group. Long term, he's not a small forward, he's a midfielder.

Pedlar I thinks a year or so away, I have high hopes, but he needs to get his body right and get some consistency. Hopefully he plays close to a full year, but probably more half forward than midfield.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Controversial but I wouldn't have Schoenberg in the list, to me he was the breakout player this season.

I went with Pedlar simply because like Harry, he's exactly the type we need to fire to rejuvenate our next gen midfield.

Pick4To6

Team Captain
Tasmanian Team
Jan 31, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Relative to his year and his overall development, his trajectory skyrocketed in those last few games.

I remember being at the GWS game and he was clunking everything. Finally looked like he was going to realise his potential

33 marks over 11 games suggests otherwise

Your memory is playing tricks on you.

Pick4To6

Team Captain
Tasmanian Team
Jan 31, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
What were the stat's for his last 2-3 games?

Rd 18 2.2 for 10 touches with 2 marks
Rd 19 2 points 9 touches with 4 marks.

Not exactly overwhelming.

His AFL form in 2021 was justified and leaving him out of the side was the correct call. His form may have improved, but it only went from a 2 out of 10, to a 4 out of 10.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I might grab Berry whilst no one's yet called him. Reckon Cook and Tilthorpe are pretty safe bets to show a lot more this year given what we saw last year.

I'm not as enthused on Berry's upper limit as most, but he couldn't have done much more than he did. I reckon Pedlar will show some awesome moments in 2022. Thilthorpe is too obvious, he'll dominate in a handful of games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
If McAsey can become a best 22 CHB that would be the biggest win of the off season.
That and small forwards are quite literally costing us right now, let alone in five years time.

I really wouldn't bother assessing our forwards until we've seen some decent delivery into the forward line. The strategy of long and deep to a contest to make defending turnovers easier makes everyone ahead of the ball look less than they actually are.

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Legs, Wests Tigers
Rd 18 2.2 for 10 touches with 2 marks
Rd 19 2 points 9 touches with 4 marks.

Not exactly overwhelming.

His AFL form in 2021 was justified and leaving him out of the side was the correct call. His form may have improved, but it only went from a 2 out of 10, to a 4 out of 10.
That's surprising - I recall him really turning the corner in the last part of the season.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
His what now?

Which puts him a bit ahead of Tex who didn't crack double digits for disposals after round 4. I wouldn't be too quick to rubbish 10 touches per game as the second forward with shortened quarters whilst playing ahead of the spoon winning side.

The Rocks

Senior List
Nov 17, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ok, I rate McHenry and called the Peddle as my breakout player, but. Luke may take longer than I want.

If I do this properly without my bias. Scholl!

Scholl started on and somehow fell out and hot injured. I'm expecting Scholl to take his game to a b-grade 90+ rankings next year! He's been forgotten because of all the other kids like Cook who have shown glimpses.

Scholl showed more than glimpses ending 2020. I'm expecting a breakout year and the outside ball magnet to show massive upside, more so now with Burgess. Lochie has the comp at his feet as an elite outside running warrior!

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 20, 2007
Perf
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Jets, Toronto Raptors

And here I was thinking I’m Tom Hanks in Castaway stranded alone on Himmelberg Island, Elliot!!! ELLIOT!!!!!!!

But in all seriousness I feel like this board has given up on him. There’s an AFL footballer in there, question should be can he and TT coexist in the same team?

Apsaalooke

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Chayce Jones for mine. A big improver last year from a very low base, and I'm thinking he has finally 'got it' and has another couple of gears to go, then hopefully transition to midfield.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
And here I was thinking I’m Tom Hanks in Castaway stranded alone on Himmelberg Island, Elliot!!! ELLIOT!!!!!!!

But in all seriousness I feel like this board has given up on him. There’s an AFL footballer in there, question should be can he and TT coexist in the same team?
No. There isnt an AFL footballer in Himm at all.. he just hasnt got the drive and determination in him, or the skills and decision making. If he did he wouldve made it by now having spent so many years on an AFL list and he wouldnt have thrown his bum in the corner at the start of this year when he was overlooked in the first few rounds due to poor form… players with the drive and determination to make it at AFL level wouldnt do that, they’d instead use it to push themselves even harder not sulk.

himm is a Sanfl standard player.. and he doesnt even dominate at that level either. How many times in the last five years has himm torn a sanfl game apart?

and no.. he cant Co-exist with TT.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
Chayce Jones for mine. A big improver last year from a very low base, and I'm thinking he has finally 'got it' and has another couple of gears to go, then hopefully transition to midfield.
Loved what Chayce did after about round 8 this year. Massive recovery from the lad. Thought he was gone for all money. Huge credit to the lad and I think he’ll go on with it next year. Hopefully his confidence builds further and they can give him bursts through the midfield because hes got oodles of talent and skill and would be a great addition to the midfield rotations.

Big Dub

All Australian
Feb 8, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Loved what Chayce did after about round 8 this year. Massive recovery from the lad. Thought he was gone for all money. Huge credit to the lad and I think he’ll go on with it next year. Hopefully his confidence builds further and they can give him bursts through the midfield because hes got oodles of talent and skill and would be a great addition to the midfield rotations.
He's already getting involved in ball ups in the back half and joining just after centre bounces from half back. He's sneaking up on being a midfielder without his head getting in the way.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

let’s just hope we have rotations. Will be a major strategy shift. Given that he’d lost all confidence, I’m happy for him to keep building from the backline. Ned is the one I’d be keen to get around the stoppages first. Along with Berry and Pedlar obviously and also another look at Hately if over his groin issues.

Oct 12, 2006
Far West SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Panthers, Double Blues
My initial vote was Daryl [Letterkenny}] Schoenberg but as others have stated he has probably already "broken out" but I think/hope his improvement will be continual and he will be a stand out.

Cook in his three games appeared super composed and comfortable so he looks highly likely to add more to his game as he has x- factor.

My main hope is that Pedlar can be injury free and damage games with his burst of speed and attack on the ball.

Back