Prediction Breakout 2022 Young Gun

Breakout 2022 young gun

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
If you could pick one of our young gun players to step up significantly and either become a main stay of our 22, or if already in the 22 become a player to take another big step towards becoming a star of the competition, who would you chose and why? Not including this year's draftees.

I'll give mine once a few responses in so as to not attempt to influence.

Jones, McAsey, Hately, Thilthorpe, Pedlar, Cook, Hamill, Berry, Worrell, McHenry, Schoenberg, Fogarty, McPherson, Sholl, Butts

I wouldn't class Borlase, Newchurch, Murray, Rowe, Parnell as young guns.

Schoenberg
Cook
Berry
Pedlar

The improvement of these four will determine how far we can rise, and how quickly.

Schoenberg - could very well be an elite level midfielder of the comp
Cook - not next year, but his ceiling is also elite. Needs to cement his spot next year and show glimpses, as Harry has in 2021
Berry - I'm bullish on this guy becoming Joel Selwood MKII
Pedlar - untapped and unknown at this stage, but as bullish as I am on Berry, Pedlar looked better in the pre-season games before injury plagued his year. Solid pre-season will be huge to see what his development looks like.

The other one is RT, but expecting small increments of improvement next year. Trying temper expectations on him, but the sky is the limit. Not sure if it is next year, or 2023, or 2024, but it will come.

Somehow I have this feeling Ned McHenry is going to really elevate further this coming season into a 4 quarter consistent elite running niggling pest of a player that gets a heap of ball too - he will become an integral part of the midfield rotation

Tough one, I think all 3 of Schoenberg, Thilthorpe and Pedlar will all have breakout years in their own right.

Schoenberg will hopefully take that next step to become a genuine A grade mid. I can see Thilthopre taking that next step and becoming a really dangerous option up forward and kicking 30-40 goals for the year. And Pedlar will have that breakout year where he really cements his spot in the starting 22.

Pedlar for mine. Probably the most likely of our current crop with the potential to become the blue chip mid we so desperately need.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
Agree with all this, I'll just be happy if he can get his body right and get a decent run of games under his belt in 2022 and really launch into 2023.

Think Pedlar might be more of a 2023 genuine breakout player. Has great breakaway speed from the contest, but is lacking the fitness to do it repetitevly at AFL level. Reckon he will play 7+ games of AFL and show more clear signs of doing what he has done at SANFL level at AFL level, but is a clear talent.

Really hoping Scholl puts it together next year and puts in more consistent performances throughout the whole year. We already know his best his BoG-worthy. Having him, Seed, Smith, Dawson going through the wings/HBF's, out-working their oppenents and cutting through zones with precise kicking would be delicious if it clicks.

1. Schoenberg
2. Pedlar
3. Cook
in that order - I would love Fog to turn full beast mode and dominate games {Thriller also} but I have held such aspirations for him for so long I am beginning to wonder if he ever will - The Thriller though will definitely turn some games in his career!

Somehow I have this feeling McHenry is going to really elevate further this coming season into a 4 quarter consistent elite running niggling pest of a player that gets a heap of ball too - he will become an integral part of the midfield rotation

Spot on! I'll argue he broke out but as a midfielder, keep going Neddy!

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many choices...

Pedlar is the one who we need for a point of difference in the midfield for his explosiveness. However, not sure he will have a breakout year until 2023, but hopefully a solid contribution next year & remains mainly injury free.

Thilthorpe & Cook i think a more likely in 2022... & I'm excited by both.

The 2 to keep an eye on after getting limited AFL exposure this year are McAsey & Worell. Really hope at least 1 of them are settled in our best 22 by the end of the season.

I'm assuming natural progression from Schoenberg, Jones & McHenry.

Schoenberg, Thilthorpe, Sholl and Berry seem the most obvious contenders. Maybe McHenry and Jones might have another trick up their sleeve as well.

And if I had to go left field - Nick Murray.

If you could pick one of our young gun players to step up significantly and either become a main stay of our 22, or if already in the 22 become a player to take another big step towards becoming a star of the competition, who would you chose and why? Not including this year's draftees.

I'll give mine once a few responses in so as to not attempt to influence.

Jones, McAsey, Hately, Thilthorpe, Pedlar, Cook, Hamill, Berry, Worrell, McHenry, Schoenberg, Fogarty, McPherson, Sholl, Butts

I wouldn't class Borlase, Newchurch, Murray, Rowe, Parnell as young guns.
Curious why don't you class Borlase as a Young Gun
When Borlase is showing the same level of Talent that Butts Showed in His First Year.

Not necessarily someone to break out as such, but with Walker out for the first few games, will Lachlan Gollant be able to make himself a viable option for best 22? He only signed a 1 year contract, so needs a big year to secure himself a decent contract extension into 2023 and beyond. One of the better SANFL kids once he got on the park after his finger injury.

Also surprised at the lack of mention of Berry, already arguably best 22 in his first year. Can only get fitter and stronger and have more impact. Some of his hard gets and clean hands plus physicality in the tackles shows some good signs for the future.

Think Cook can have a big impact if he puts some size on, improved a lot as the year went on, just needed fitness. Butts should keep getting better, especially if he can intercept a bit more like Alir, Andrews and Weitering. Needs some help though.

The 2018-2021 draft crop will be our core going forward, exciting to see their development.

Last edited:
Back