Breakout Star

Remove this Banner Ad

potential for more consistency: JDG, Cox

potential to go up another level: Jaicos, Cameron, Naicos, IQ, Murphy, Ginni, Johnson, Mcreery, Lippa

potential to show they are AFL players: draper, harrison, reef, mcrae, carmichael, kreuger, McInnes, Begg, dean

Then all traded in have potential ti improve based on new role and environment.

The remainder are either already established, are performing around optimum (eg noble, maynard), or wont make it (eg kelly)

For me the most likely improvement will come from structural changes from the new players and the follow on effects .

The players I'm expecting to see improve are :
  • JDG ( finally settling as a week-in week-out solidly performing mid)
  • Jaicos, IQ and Lippa (great players hitting maturity and confidence)
  • McCreery and Johnson ( have weapons, only now starting to understand how to use them)

Funnily enough though, I expect the addition of mitchell getting first ball means that Pendles will have an absolute vintage season as first receiver setting up the play from stoppage

Breakout years for me would be Carmichael, he looks fitter and ready to have a massive year. For us to take the next step we need improvement across the board and I think there is potential there to achieve that. The addition of Mitchell will help our midfield and I can see degoey having a career year as well. Lots to be excited about for 2023 #gopies

Carmichael - to slot in at half back and use his booming kick to set up through the middle of the ground.
Frampton - if he has a breakout year, and Moore stays injury free, we will have a great backline.
Kreuger - to be honest, if Kreuger can cement his spot and contribute each week, we are a much better team. I see a forward line working of Kruegs, McStay, AND Mihocek all sharing the grunt work up and down the ground (including second ruck) with Elliott darting out from the square. That is hard to contain.

Agree. I can't see him or Begg, Kelly, Wilson cementing anything.
Can't even dominate the VFL.
Kelly a small chance but I doubt it.
Wilson a bit stiff , has some great attributes, probably left his run a bit late after spending time playing basketball at a high level , then deciding to switch back to AFL. Deserves a crack at it , I just can’t see where he fits in with us , there are a couple of clubs who should be looking at bringing him in at seasons end , should Collingwood cut him loose , same as RUSCOE. How Kelly is still there is beyond me , rather we kept McMahon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The big change to us this year is the introduction of Titch to the stoppages. This will (hopefully) have two big shifts in our play - the ball gets into our forward line quicker and more often and the ball gets into our defence less often and when it does get there, it gets in slower. So who benefits:
  • our backline runners are more likely to get more of it as a result of more time to set up our preferred structure, so Nobel, IQ and Bruz benefit
  • our forwards benefit with more footy in the forward half and the expected shift of Naics on-ball means he'll be delivering more ball into F50 - so Mihocek and McStay get a better look at it more often - there's more ground ball too, so Elliot, HIMARS (McCreery) and Gini benefit

So my Breakout prediction is:
  • Titch to return to the elite level
  • Jordy to become a consistent game breaker (as a mid/forward) and win an AA nomination
  • HIMARS to become a better than 1.5 goal a game player
  • IQ to be AA
  • Macrae to play 20 or more games (replacing Pendles, Steele or WHE as a first choice player)
  • We're a 2-3 goal a game better side and have very few close games

Wilson a bit stiff , has some great attributes, probably left his run a bit late after spending time playing basketball at a high level , then deciding to switch back to AFL. Deserves a crack at it , I just can’t see where he fits in with us , there are a couple of clubs who should be looking at bringing him in at seasons end , should Collingwood cut him loose , same as RUSCOE. How Kelly is still there is beyond me , rather we kept McMahon.
Agree regarding Wilson, he did dominate some VFL games before getting injured - one in particular that I recall he kicked 2 or 3 goals in the last quarter and was everywhere - showed that his best spot is a high half forward who can also play behind the ball. Kelly showed last year that he's improved on his most weakest ability - availability. If he can now build on his other skills based on a better understanding of how he needs to manage his body then I can see him in the Howe role. If Ruscoe continues to put the effort in then at worst, he's a trade for next year, he's too good to cut.

It's a given if he remains injury free. He's been at that level for 18 months when fit.
Personally I don't think we've seen his potential.

Has all rhe attributes to be who knows, I'd argue he doesn't know.

His consistency went up a notch in 22, if he can reproduce his finals numbers regularly. We'll that goes a long way to make us true contenders

Bobby hill got a feeling he's going to have a decent season. If Frampton can hold down a spot down back and perform I think Moore will go up a level as well.
Said it in the whipping thread, gotta post it here. If ever there was a star name its Bobby Hill. Don't know what it is, maybe it reminds me of Bobby Brown. I hear the name of Bobby Hill and somehow screamers and goals jump into my mind. God I hope he lives up to the image.

Said it in the whipping thread, gotta post it here. If ever there was a star name its Bobby Hill. Don't know what it is, maybe it reminds me of Bobby Brown. I hear the name of Bobby Hill and somehow screamers and goals jump into my mind. God I hope he lives up to the image.
Definitely a star name , hope it goes with your Bobby Brown way , when I heard we got Bobby Hill , I had Benny Hill flashbacks

I think Q is already a star , but AA season coming up , so another level up , For me , he may play unfashionable and does not have the Hollywood rig of Isaac. But boy is he effective. Josh Carmichael

With another afl preseason under his belt I can see him improving but don't think he will be on star level.
Need to clean up his disposal and improve his burst speed imo to to go to that bracket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back