Breakout

Remove this Banner Ad

I really like jones, and think there’s a first 22 player obviously there, but the question is going to be whether he’s a decent role player, good player, or high level player.

If he doesn’t get cleaner with the ball his ceiling is Dbj (while not exactly like the same player but similar quality)

But with our defenders at the moment I’m not sure he’s getting 22 games in the backline.

He could play a role as a forward, but probably not in a forward line that already has Spp and also rioli and Fantasia hopefully available occasionally.

It would be hard for a player to break out if he doesn’t have a clear role and 22 games in a position

I really like jones, and think there’s a first 22 player obviously there, but the question is going to be whether he’s a decent role player, good player, or high level player.

If he doesn’t get cleaner with the ball his ceiling is Dbj (while not exactly like the same player but similar quality)

But with our defenders at the moment I’m not sure he’s getting 22 games in the backline.

He could play a role as a forward, but probably not in a forward line that already has Spp and also rioli and Fantasia hopefully available occasionally.

It would be hard for a player to break out if he doesn’t have a clear role and 22 games in a position
Bonner moves to the wing. Burgoyne and Houston locks. I'd like to think Jones can KO DBJ, but we just gave him a billion year contract so, yeah he's sweating on injuries unfortunately. Needs to nail the chance when it comes.

Why do people keep thinking jones is a 3rd tall? He’s 186cm. He’s not a 3rd tall.

He can play above his height sure, but not that far, and also trying to play him as a tall just takes a strength of his and turns it into a weakness.
Probs cause Jonas is only 188cms, and Lachie is same weight, 2cms smaller but can run faster and jump higher. Might still grow although he was a man child so probably not.

Our key backs are a big issue. Jonas/McKenzie and Clurey are basically the same player, and only one of them should get a game. Considering our list probably Clurey should get it on age.

For us to develop these players like Lachie, they need AFL games. Structurally our backline needs more run and carry. Our talls are so slow.

If Houston, Burton, Burgoyne, and DBJ are holding the 4 small defenders roles (inc Bench) Lachie ain’t getting a game, or Burgoyne ain’t getting a game.

If we recruit a key back next year, or Pasini makes a move, things change, but at least Lachie gets a string of games from the start of the season. Maybe one of the small defenders gets injured and he takes that?

Anyway, I don’t think people, myself included think Lachie is a proper key back, but he can have more impact than Jonas as the third tall, with much more potential of development which gets us closer to winning a premiership than playing older cooked players.

I like how we played Jones up forward, not for thats his future role but i think once he gets that aggression there is an inside midfielder For him

Probs cause Jonas is only 188cms, and Lachie is same weight, 2cms smaller but can run faster and jump higher. Might still grow although he was a man child so probably not.

Our key backs are a big issue. Jonas/McKenzie and Clurey are basically the same player, and only one of them should get a game. Considering our list probably Clurey should get it on age.

For us to develop these players like Lachie, they need AFL games. Structurally our backline needs more run and carry. Our talls are so slow.

If Houston, Burton, Burgoyne, and DBJ are holding the 4 small defenders roles (inc Bench) Lachie ain’t getting a game, or Burgoyne ain’t getting a game.

If we recruit a key back next year, or Pasini makes a move, things change, but at least Lachie gets a string of games from the start of the season. Maybe one of the small defenders gets injured and he takes that?

Anyway, I don’t think people, myself included think Lachie is a proper key back, but he can have more impact than Jonas as the third tall, with much more potential of development which gets us closer to winning a premiership than playing older cooked players.
Jonas is already undersized, why would we replace him with someone even shorter?

As I said, it takes a strength (being stronger and playing taller than his height) and turns it into a weakness.

We’ve already got Jonas replacement on the list. Pasini. He just needs time to recover from his acl.

I would think port fans having had years of moaning about our 193cm, 191cm and 188cm backs not being tall enough would not be calling for jones to play as a key back.

If we play jones back, it would be on the medium / small forwards or resting mids.

Jones won a rising star nomination for his game against Gold Coast where he played up forward. Give him a full preseason where he knows that is going to be his role and he'll pair up with Powell-Pepper nicely.

The main task of a half-forward, at least in our team, is to put pressure on the opposition half backs to create turnovers while hopefully kicking a goal or two going the other way. In that regard, Jones' overexuberant aggression becomes a plus rather than a minus (same with Powell-Pepper, which is why we moved him to half-forward). How do I know this? Because of what Lachie Jones said about his role up forward:

"The conversation was that playing in the backs wasn't working, so forwards was where I was going to play. There were some areas I had to work on - things like ground ball kicking, aerial contests - that weren't up to standard as a defender. In the first week, Powell-Pepper said that him and I have similar attributes and I can learn off Pep just to hunt the opposition, create a contest and try to keep the ball in our forward half. He said if you kick any goals, that's a bonus, and you don't need to come away with 20 disposals in a game either."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back