AFLW Player Breanna Koenen (2016-) (Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

d35ff14d1663d9745a590f98d176ff37.png

Originally from Magnetic Island, Breanna Koenen moved to play at the University of Queensland while studying exercise science. Koenen can play at half back or as a medium-sized midfielder and is a good ball user with anoutstanding intercept mark. Koenen comes from a talented sporting family – her brother is in the Suns Academy and her sister in the National Netball League’s new Sunshine Coast Lightning team.

Brisbane have enjoyed a huge day of contract re-signings with premiership winning leadership group Emily Bates, Shannon Campbell and Bre Koenen inking contract extensions that tie them to the club for two more seasons.

The 2021 premiership winning side are all locked away for season six of the AFLW and a total of 14 players have already taken the opportunity to add a further year to their deals.

Introducing our 2023 AFLW Captains

230277_AFLW_Captains_Announcement_Article_Header.jpg

The Brisbane Lions are excited to announce Breanna Koenen will captain the Club for the 2023 NAB AFLW Season.

The 27-year-old premiership defender will be joined by Nat Grider who will reassume her position as vice-captain of the Lions AFLW side.

Koenen will lead the Lions for the third consecutive season following her first All-Australian selection in 2022 where she was named as vice-captain.

The defender became the first Lions’ captain to be named as an All-Australian since Jonathan Brown in 2009.

“It’s a huge honour to be backed by my teammates again this season,” Koenen said.

“I am very excited about this group and can’t wait to see what we can achieve together.”

Koenen will be supported by vice-captain Grider who is also coming off an incredible 2022 where she was named as an All-Australian in both seasons.

Another of the Lions 2021 premiership players, the 22-year-old was also selected for the 2022 AFLPA 22under22 team capping off a stellar year.

Brisbane Lions AFLW coach Craig Starcevich believes that after two seasons both players are coming into their own as leaders.

“Bre had a great second season as captain in season 7, growing as a leader and earning All Australian selection,” Starcevich said.

“She has a really strong off-field connection with the playing group and is courageous and inspiring on match day, traits held in high regard by everyone at our club.

“Nat’s off-field professionalism and aggressive game style are behaviours her teammates admire and are drawn to.

“She too had an outstanding year earning All Australian honours alongside developing her leadership skills.

“With their complementary styles of leading we feel the playing group are in exceptional hands with Bre, Nat, and the extended leadership team for 2023.”

The Club will announce the leadership group in the coming days.

Sarah Black's Top 30 AFLW players: 30-21

27. Breanna Koenen (Brisbane)

The Brisbane captain had an outstanding season seven, taking her side to a Grand Final, and her leadership is a contributing factor to making the top 30.

As a lockdown defender, Koenen averaged 10.7 disposals at an average of 75.7 efficiency, as well as 4.3 marks.

It was in the intercept possession category where Koenen really shone, averaging 6.9 per match.

AFLW Team of the Week, round one

DEFENDERS
Najwa Allen (Adelaide), Harriet Cordner (Carlton), Tarni Evans (GWS), Breanna Koenen (Brisbane), Laura Pugh (Fremantle),

Allen (13, seven) kept the Crows in touch in the first half when Port Adelaide was dominating play, Cordner (14 and nine) settled in well in her new colours, coming off a torn ACL, and Koenen (10 and seven) was simply ferocious in defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions ready to 'rise to the occasion' against old foes

WGFBrMe22S7RF-62.jpg

BRISBANE will rise to the occasion and play its best footy in Saturday night’s must-win match against competition leaders Melbourne, says captain Bre Koenen.

In a rematch of last year’s Grand Final, won famously by the Demons at the opening of Brighton Homes Arena, the Lions need victory to secure a coveted top four position.

A loss and they will be on sudden death throughout the finals series.

And despite losing to St Kilda last weekend, Koenen is as confident as ever her team will lift this weekend.

“I still believe in this group and believe in what we can achieve,” she said.

“I think we definitely rise to the occasion, and we love competitive, contested footy.

“We’ve had a really tough year and been under pressure a lot, so I think come finals that’ll hold us in good stead.”

After losing just five games in the previous three seasons, Brisbane has been a little more vulnerable in 2023, losing games to the Saints, Collingwood and Richmond, who are all battling around the fringes of the eight.

However, with a sprinkling of new faces to complement their 2021 premiership core, the Lions have beaten Adelaide and North Melbourne and can make it a clean sweep against fellow top four teams with victory against Melbourne.

Koenen was full of praise for the Demons, saying her team had moved on from last year’s disappointment in the decider.

"They’re definitely up there," she said.

“You’d be crazy to think they’re not going to be tough and competitive come finals time.

“They didn’t lose too many (players) in the off-season and they’ve come back really strong this year and are playing good footy.

“They’re a really good running side, they rebound off half-back really well and they cover ground well.

“They’ve definitely got good players across the field we need to be aware of, but we just need to get back to the way we play.”

AFLW Team of the Week, round 10

DEFENDERS

Jade Ellenger (Brisbane), Breanna Koenen (Brisbane), Jenna Richardson (Hawthorn), Brenna Tarrant (Sydney), Charlie Thomas (West Coast)

Brisbane captain Koenen (12 intercepts, eight marks) was simply superb as the Lions flipped the script on last year's premier Melbourne, with teammate Ellenger (22, six marks) providing plenty of drive into attack.

Captain Koenen becomes third Lion to 75 games

230364_AFLW_Milestone_Games_Bre_Koenen_75_Article_Header.jpg

Brisbane Lions AFLW captain Bre Koenen will lead her team out in Saturday’s Qualifying final against Adelaide in her 75th game as Lion.

Koenen becomes the third Lion in as many weeks to reach the milestone, following Ally Anderson and AFLW senior coach Craig Starcevich in Rounds 9 and 10 respectively.

Starcevich reminisced on one of the first occasions watching Koenen play, prior to her selection on the Lions squad for the 2017 AFLW Season.

“The one thing that struck me watching Bre play at QAFLW level was how she read the play, how good she was overhead and how instinctively she would roll of half-back and set the game up,” he said.

“Bre came through the system at a time when the women’s pathway was in its early days and it is a testament to her drive and determination to see her reach 75 games this weekend.

“It has been a joy to coach Bre for the past seven years and I=we’ve been lucky enough to watch her grow as not only a footballer but a person and a leader of our footy club.”

A decorated career to date, Koenen has been a pillar in Brisbane’s defence since her debut in Round 1 of the inaugural AFLW season in 2017.

Following a premiership in 2021, Koenen was elevated to captain prior to Season six in 2022.

The ever-reliable defender, in her first season at the helm led the Lions to a Preliminary Final and backed it up in Season Seven, leading Brisbane all the way to the Grand Final before going down to Melbourne on both occasions.

In her second season as captain, Koenen shone, capping off a stellar year after being selected in the All-Australian team as vice-captain.

Growing up on Magnetic Island in Far North Queensland, Koenen played her junior footy with the boys for the Magnetic Island Magpies until she was 13.

Koenen would then travel across to the mainland to Townsville and Cairns to play in women’s competitions until moving to Brisbane to study Physiotherapy in 2014.

Playing for the University of Queensland once settled in Brisbane, Koenen was selected in the Lions Inaugural AFLW squad ahead of the 2017 season.

Davidson 'good to go' despite injury cloud, Roos' 'evidence'

"(All Grand Finals) feel so different and each bring a unique feel, and we've got a different group this year compared to any other year. I don't go into it expecting anything now, but I've been lucky to be in enough," said captain Breanna Koenen, an inaugural Lion who has played in all their Grand Finals to date.

"Each time, it's just surreal being here."

Koenen did admit reaching the decider is a bit of a surprise, given the significant turnover of the playing list during the offseason.

"(We were) probably fairly underrated at the start of the season, probably weren't expected to get here. So, to be here now is probably a surprise for everyone, ourselves included. We just take it within our stride and we're here for a reason," Koenen said.

CAPTAIN KOENEN

When Bre Koenen kicked the goal to seal the game, there was a unanimous murmuring around the AFLW universe that the best-on-ground medal was hers for the taking.

Not too long after that, she was named the best player on the ground, and it was a clean sweep, with all the judges giving her the three votes.

It has been some season for the Lions skipper. Once upon a time, she was a vital cog in a defensive unit that had been unpenetrable at times throughout the years, but this year has seen her be more of a player who has stepped up to any role that Craig Starcevich has seen fit.

She’s played midfield floated up forward, and I’m sure if Starce told her to go up for a ruck contest, she’d probably go and do it—her determination and willingness to play any role.

In this one, she started in defence and racked important intercept marks in the first half when North looked threatening.

Cathy Svarc looked to have been hampered by a knee during this game and looked as if she couldn’t match Jasmine Garner, who, up to halftime, looked to have had one hand firmly on the best-on-ground medal, having had 11 disposals and two goals to this point.

Enter Koenen… or if you’re Jason Bennett, go with the cringe line of Koenen the Barbarian.

The Lions captain was sent to mind Garner around stoppages and centre bounces, and while Garner added 13 more disposals in the second half, a lot of these disposals were rushed and caused disruption to how North like to move the ball.

If you haven’t figured out with this Brisbane side, they love disruption, but we’ll get to that later.

Around stoppages, Koenen applied the pressure and won her share of the contested ball. She was a rock in defence and didn’t stop working to impact as the third player up or in the one-on-ones.

She finished with 19 disposals, 336 metres gained, nine intercept possessions, 10 tackles, seven marks and a goal.

Our Best On Ground Bre

bre.png

Brisbane skipper Bre Koenen has willed her side to its second AFLW flag with an inspiring performance in the back half, earning her the Best on Ground Medal.

Koenen picked up the full 15 votes in her side's 17-point victory over North Melbourne, getting three votes from each of the five judges.

She finished with 19 disposals, eleven tackles, seven marks (three contested) and nine intercept possessions as she constantly repelled the Roos' forays forward.

She was presented with the award by recently retired Adelaide and Port Adelaide great Erin Phillips, herself a two-time winner.

"I just wanted to get the job done and lead them the best I could," Koenen said.

"I wanted to play my role for the team and bring others into it.

"I think one of my strengths is my voice, I wanted to be able to instruct the girls as best I could today."

Koenen's leadership was on display as she threw herself into contest after contest before she kicked the match-sealing goal in the final moments of the game.

She was also sent into the midfield to play a negating role on Jasmine Garner after the Kangaroos superstar started to take control of the game.

"Being thrown around is definitely something that I've taken as a challenge this year and one I've really liked," she said. "To be able to play anywhere and support the girls as best I can is the main thing.

"Massive respect for their midfield, they're incredible and hard to match up on.

"My defensive mindset bodes well for those situations, and I revel in one-on-one contests, so I definitely love those challenges.

"I've got really good people around me; I wouldn't have been able to step into the midfield today if I didn't have the likes of Belle Dawes and Ally Anderson being able to settle me."

The Roos booted two goals in quick succession late in the third term and Koenen said she was proud of how her side found something extra when the heat was on.

"The way the group responded in that moment, we threw everything at them and gave it our all," she said.

"Everyone lifted in that last quarter, it got us over the line.

"There's so many little moments that make a difference, you've sometimes got to win these matches a few times."

2023 Best on Ground voting
15 – Breanna Koenen, Brisbane Lions – 33333
9 – Jasmine Garner, North Melbourne– 22221
5 – Belle Dawes, Brisbane Lions – 2111
1 – Natalie Grider, Brisbane Lions – 1

Judge votes (3, 2, 1)
Abbie Holmes (Chair): Breanna Koenen, Belle Dawes, Jasmine Garner
Erin Phillips: Breanna Koenen, Jasmine Garner, Belle Dawes
Gemma Bastiani: Breanna Koenen, Jasmine Garner, Belle Dawes
Quentin Hull: Breanna Koenen, Jasmine Garner, Belle Dawes
Lauren Wood: Breanna Koenen, Jasmine Garner, Natalie Grider

Remove this Banner Ad