Bumped Brenden Abbott

Remove this Banner Ad

If you are a paid up member, then you can start a petition.
Who replaces them?
New board

President Thats Mick Gold
VP Mick39 (maybe same person so we save a parking space right there)
Others: whover he / she / they decide (note positions all temp as they have shot attention spans

Why ? If you'd just been sacked from your job would you want your ex-employer holding a press conference to tell the world about it ? Not everyone's life is public property...

One word... sarcasm!

I don't understand you Kappa, A couple of days ago you were blaming the club for bad player welfare but now your having a potshot at a kid with a mental health condition.

It ain't that easy. The reality is that a mental health condition causes you to make mountains out of molehills. It causes you to be irrational , it makes it harder to seek help, you are embarrassed ashamed and genuinely scared of what people will think of you. Running away and isolating yourself seems for many in this position the most normal thing to do. Everyone copes with it differently but for Brendan he probably feels helpless and this is the only way he feels he could cope.

I think you've misconstrued what he was saying.

I don't understand you Kappa, A couple of days ago you were blaming the club for bad player welfare but now your having a potshot at a kid with a mental health condition.

It ain't that easy. The reality is that a mental health condition causes you to make mountains out of molehills. It causes you to be irrational , it makes it harder to seek help, you are embarrassed ashamed and genuinely scared of what people will think of you. Running away and isolating yourself seems for many in this position the most normal thing to do. Everyone copes with it differently but for Brendan he probably feels helpless and this is the only way he feels he could cope.
One of the few sensible posts in this thread.

Some awful posts from some of you guys. Have some empathy and a bit of respect.

I think you've misconstrued what he was saying.

He isn't making very smart choices Dave.

The reality is if you have mental health issues like depression you need to talk to people about it and seek help, not run away and isolate yourself.

Not sure about the above comment would be misconstrued.

The club will definitely have to mention it at least at the members forum. My guess is that at the start of the night they'll say, they're aware many supporters want to know about Brenden Abbott's delisting, but in respecting the player's privacy they won't be answering questions about it that evening.

That's how some people deal with depression as they feel lost and keep very private and hide away from everyone until they feel happy enough and ready to seek help or even get out the house. I had depression as a teenager after watching my dad die and winning state and national title's after he died didn't make me happy as I had anger. seems like to me he is lost as a person struggling while being indecisive in life maybe etc etc. Have to let people deal with things in there own way as it's a complicated health issue to over come if you don't have the mind set to keep fighting day by day just to feel happy again and not feel stressed out, angry with the world but mainly being angry blaming your self for everything. Some People who have depression put on a happy act on infront of people all the time just to pretend that they are happy so that others don't know what's going on.

Last edited:
That's how some people deal with depression as they feel lost and keep very private and hide away from everyone until they feel happy enough and ready to seek help or even get out the house. I had depression as a teenager after watching my dad die and winning state and national title's after he died didn't make me happy as I had anger. seems like to me he is lost as a person struggling while being indecisive in life maybe etc etc. Have to let people deal with things in there own way as it's a complicated health issue to over come if you don't have the mind set to keep fighting day by day just to feel happy again and not feel stressed out, angry with the world but mainly being angry blaming your self for everything. Some People who have depression put on a happy act on infront of people all the time just to pretend that they are happy so that others don't know what's going on.
You are trying to discuss a very serious issue with some people who think all he has to do is HTFU.
Your well discussed response will be lost on them

Sorry to read that about you Popin; hope life is good now for you.

I expect the club has been compassionate to Brenden behind the scenes and will help him further if asked.

You are trying to discuss a very serious issue with some people who think all he has to do is HTFU.
Your well discussed response will be lost on them

HTFU when dealing with issues like this is one of my biggest hates. It does so much damage and makes it much harder for blokes to talk about their issues. It creates to much fear. I discovered this amazing cause last week. See the link below. I think it is bloody brilliant.

softenthefckup.com.au/

The reality is if you have mental health issues like depression you need to talk to people about it and seek help, not run away and isolate yourself.

Not sure about the above comment would be misconstrued.

I'm not sure stating the bleeding obvious constitutes taking a pot shot. It's not often that I'd defend Kappa but the only point of conjecture from his post is that he assumes Abbott is not making smart choices and that he actually has a mental illness when in reality none of us likely know if that's the case but it does extend upon the comments laced throughout the thread. It is not uncommon for people suffering mental illness to make poor decisions and they do need to seek help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and the reality is also that seeking help is equally as difficult when you are in that space it's chicken and egg.

The club will definitely have to mention it at least at the members forum. My guess is that at the start of the night they'll say, they're aware many supporters want to know about Brenden Abbott's delisting, but in respecting the player's privacy they won't be answering questions about it that evening.

That would not Surprise Me, Then Rumors will still Come Out.

I know his Mum had Cancer maybe she has sadly Past Away and that has Put Abbott into Depression

Mods Vicky Park NT.Thunder
Not sure of the value of a thread, riddled with speculation concerning an ex player& health issues.
Perhaps an idea to lock for now, until the situation has more clarity?

Totally agree with this. The speculation being thrown around needs to stop. It's obviously an unusual case, let's just allow things to take their course and I'm sure we get all the information we need in due course. Some rampant speculation about some very sensitive issues are being thrown about casually and I don't think it serves any purpose.

Sorry to read that about you Popin; hope life is good now for you.

I expect the club has been compassionate to Brenden behind the scenes and will help him further if asked.
You Just have to keep on keeping on to fight to be happy again to find yourself again and happy place. there isn't a time frame you can put on it as when you're ready to conquer the world again to feel free and clear in the mind being happy about your self. I think what didn't help me was having a mum who had a heart attackat the time finding out she needs medication for her heart problem and my brother finding out after a nervous break down he had a family heart disease he also has medication for and me being stubborn thinking only weak people need medication as I was raised very hard and known to be a hard minded athlete around town I didn't want to look weak. I learned the hard way but always have a goal in mind to always fight to be happy and my old self again. I took the approach as normal happy people's brain has a full petrol tank of serotonin levels and people who have depression have like a half tank brain of serotonin and need a recharge or a pitstop with medication to fill the tank up to help the serotonin get back to normal helping the recovery process :)

The funny thing is I've done neither of those things. Someone posted that the reason Abbott disappeared is the clubs harsh feedback of him, I said IF that rumour was true it would be poor player management, but I don't believe it's the full story. So you are incorrect about that one.

Secondly I am NOT taking pot shots at Abbott, all I said in my post was pointing out the facts of the situation as we know it. We know he has made some bad choices, we know he has ran away and isolated himself. These are not opinions or attacks of him, just the situation as it is at present. I'm well aware it's not easy to overcome mental health issues, which I why I said it's best to seek (professional) help. You may not understand me but you certainly don't understand my posts.

I have no bad words to say about Abbott the person, it's just a horrible situation and fingers crossed it ends in the best way possible.

All things considered it serms a sensitive issue.
Im sure all of us wish him well.

As an aside, im guessing a few years ago there would be an even less sensitive response from posters than most posts here.

Says alot about the beyond blue organisation (and Jeff Kennet, whatever your politics, he has been enormous in this area). At least we are moving in the right direction.
Much work to be done, but big strides made monetheless.

Be well brenden and healthy and happy

Some of the speculation in here should be cause for cards..... Absolutely f..... pathetic Collingwood board.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back