2nds Brendon Ah Chee - SANFL Player of the Week

Remove this Banner Ad

Cracking start to the $anfl season Arch.

$anfl POTW
PETER JACKSON PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Brendon Ah Chee
He’s had a super pre-season and he’s really taking that form into the way he’s playing at the moment. He’s been our most consistent midfielder probably for the last two weeks. He’s looking AFL-ready and if he keeps it up, will hopefully get an opportunity.
$anfl POTW

Love the Arch! :hearts:

Really hope he can continue that form over the first half of the season and start pushing for games. Could use his craft in the side.

This is something I still don't fully understand. Port Adelaide has two teams, right? Correct me if I'm wrong: PAFC used to play since time immemorial in the SANFL. However in the 90's it joined the newly formed (or rather recently rebranded) AFL that has since become a national competition (previously there were only local competitions). But despite joining the AFL, the club never stopped competing in the SANFL, right? How does it work? From little I've read on the subject, it seems like a bit of a minor league thing as in the United States, but can we move players from SANFL squad to AFL (and vice-versa)? Like a MLB team can send down underperforming players to Triple A affiliates, for example? Or are they independent entities with only a name and sporting history shared?

This is something I still don't fully understand. Port Adelaide has two teams, right? Correct me if I'm wrong: PAFC used to play since time immemorial in the SANFL. However in the 90's it joined the newly formed (or rather recently rebranded) AFL that has since become a national competition (previously there were only local competitions). But despite joining the AFL, the club never stopped competing in the SANFL, right? How does it work? From little I've read on the subject, it seems like a bit of a minor league thing as in the United States, but can we move players from SANFL squad to AFL (and vice-versa)? Like a MLB team can send down underperforming players to Triple A affiliates, for example? Or are they independent entities with only a name and sporting history shared?

we have 40 odd AFL listed players that can play both AFL or sanfl. the rest are essentially top up players. we also have an academy team below that, that serves as top up players for the sanfl team. and of course it develops players that hope to play afl one day.

there are plenty of forums about this.

Yep, it's essentially a minor league thing. We have 45 odd players on our list and the 22 plus emergencies get listed for the AFL team and the remainder play in the SANFL with the addition of top up players (who can't be used in the AFL). Players on our list can switch between the two leagues depending on form, so we're always keeping an eye on the SANFL team.

Features heavily in the match highlights with some very tidy passages of play and a big tackle.

I'm not sold on Ah Chee's foot skills being AFL standard but boy can he handball!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PJ players of the week?
Peter Jackson?

Where's that DeLorean

To put it simply, the club won the right to join the "big league" and basically swapped competitions.

The club did keep a foot print in the SANFL in what was a very messy situation at the time. Was never meant to be that way.

Recently the SANFL Port Adelaide officially became our reserves in which when not playing AFL, the rest of our list play together in the one team.

Yep, it's essentially a minor league thing. We have 45 odd players on our list and the 22 plus emergencies get listed for the AFL team and the remainder play in the SANFL with the addition of top up players (who can't be used in the AFL). Players on our list can switch between the two leagues depending on form, so we're always keeping an eye on the SANFL team.

Thanks I appreciate the replies.
If I may ask one more question on this subject: in terms of reputation, which was the main aussie rules league (if there was one) before the AFL went national? My understanding is that we played in the SANFL but there was also the VFL and other leagues... was one of them bigger than the other? I saw on wikipedia that Port Adelaide still hold the record for most titles in the SANFL. I understand that the SANFL is no longer the main focus of the fans but in the past it should be something to be proud of

If I may ask one more question on this subject: in terms of reputation, which was the main aussie rules league (if there was one) before the AFL went national? My understanding is that we played in the SANFL but there was also the VFL and other leagues... was one of them bigger than the other? I saw on wikipedia that Port Adelaide still hold the record for most titles in the SANFL. I understand that the SANFL is no longer the main focus of the fans but in the past it should be something to be proud of

As time went on the VFL was definitely the stronger league. South Australian players were often poached and offered bigger money to move interstate.

However in the early 1900's etc there was no clear cut winner in terms of strength. Port Adelaide did win "Champions of Australia" trophies a record 4 times where the premiers of the SANFL would play winners of the VFL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Championship_of_Australia

The Victorian Football League was widely acknowledged as the pinnacle. Victoria had a population around 3 times the size of SA (now it's even bigger).

With the money in the Victorian economy through the 1970s and 80s they started to buy the best players from other football leagues and continually strengthened their competition. This brought about the State of Origin concept in state vs state football so as to balance the teams (and stop the painful practice of the Vics playing other states' best players against them). Players would represent their state of origin which was variously defined but generally where you first played under the auspice of the top league.

Western Australia and South Australia were about on a par, with the small but back in the day productive Tasmania behind them. New South Wales and Queensland have always been rugby heartland.

But before the national competition the respective state competitions were the pinnacle of the contest between clubs and where Port Adelaide dominated like no other team.

John Devaney's site Australian Football is an excellent resource for information about all football leagues in Australia.

Did you mean Callum? ;)

Well done big sneezy.
AhCheescreamer246_246X316.jpg

What a mark by Callum Ah Chee in the NAB AFL Academy side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back