Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As one small indicator, my 19 year old daughter has always been a Blues fan but I can tell you she is now really engaged with the Blues and really excited by all the young players.

Dare I say, guys like Charlie Curnow, Marchbank and Polson have the girls swooning. The team is becoming cool again and hopefully this will start to gradually reflect in the membership numbers (although a few wins wouldn't hurt !!)

That's great to hear. Old crusty's like me will always support them but important that the next generation feel a connection. :)

It's one of the few occasions where the club has a chance to address a large portion of the supporter base, and the message has already been delivered ad nauseam.

He's not addressing the players and it's not as though he is saying anything insightful or new - the youth rhetoric is always the first card used to delay criticism for poor performances.

I didn't have a problem with it year one, but given our poor membership numbers the club may do well to give supporters something more insightful given finals are some way off.
I totally agree with what you are saying.
Essendon lose by 65 points with a full side yet no one in the media mentions a thing.
It's the same old, we are a hated club by most and no matter positive or negative we are going to be up against it.

On Brendon Bolton , an Adelaide supporting mate mentioned to me this morning how he appears so enthusiastic and so dedicated is Bolts which is awesome.
This must rub off on the whole playing list & assistant coaches, if the coach is all in 100% of the time in and i'm not as a player , i'm going to look like a knob....

Brendon and his assistants did a great job against the Swans. They still need to work on our red time play. The Swans kicked 7.6 to our 0.3 during this period. We break even and the win is 7 goals not 3.

Actually we win by 10 goals. Thanks ferrisb for pointing this out. Cheers mate.

Last edited:
we used to enjoy being "up against it" - when we are winning flags again we will start enjoying it again - trust me on this

As another dinosaur roaming these parts I can totally relate to this and agree wholeheartedly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brendon and his assistants did a great job against the Swans. They still need to work on our red time play. The Swans kicked 7.6 to our 0.3 during this period. We break even and the win is 7 goals not 3.

Sorry to nitpick, HJ. But we breakeven and its a 10 goal win.....

Can't wait til we have real ones of those again, not just hypothetical ones....

On Brendon Bolton , an Adelaide supporting mate mentioned to me this morning how he appears so enthusiastic and so dedicated is Bolts which is awesome.
This must rub off on the whole playing list & assistant coaches.

Id say that's 50% of the job right there. Getting everyone along and buying into the vision. Reckon with BB a significant portion of his job isn't just coaching tactics but building up the players confidence and understanding between one another So they are greater than the sum of their parts.

For me that's what all good premiership teams have.

Might not seem like much, but I was impressed with how Bolts handled Levi on Sat. Was clearly getting frustrated and giving away free kicks in the 2nd quarter and started to cost us. Bolts gave him a prolonged spell on the bench, to the team's detriment, and he came back on and played great.

Loved listening to Bolts re David Rhys Jones addressing the boys before the Collingwood game. He said it wasn't about firing up the boys, it was important that todays players knew about our rich history and the rivalry with Collingwood. Said it was really important to get that connection. Really like the way he has re-connected the past players with the club, and is connecting our current players with our history.

wish my sons new basketball coach would take a leaf out of Bolts book...15 year old boys need lot's of encouragement and positive feedback on what they do well as well as helping them develop what needs developing...not just shout and point out all the negatives.... thought that style had gone out last century....well done Bolts you are an inspiration and it shows you really care about this group....

Loved listening to Bolts re David Rhys Jones addressing the boys before the Collingwood game. He said it wasn't about firing up the boys, it was important that todays players knew about our rich history and the rivalry with Collingwood. Said it was really important to get that connection. Really like the way he has re-connected the past players with the club, and is connecting our current players with our history.

Nek minnit every second player is on report for a behind the play incident...

the greatest vindication of Bolton's method is the manner of which we have won games this year.

Bottom sides can often nick wins by blowing the opposition out of the water on days where all the planets align and they can kick a big score.

We have won by playing a defensive brand of footy but still scoring.

That's the premiership model, being able to balance having a highly defensive structure whilst still being able to score.

We have scored 80 and 97 points in the past two weeks while maintaining a predominantly defensive game style and team selection.

Trending in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back