Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly sounds like Bolton has eased back a bit with the players over the off season. Numerous interviews with players suggest this has been a good thing for everyone. Even in a recent article Bolton admitted his people management at times could have been much better. I like the sound of his progress recently in developing strong relationships. Hopefully this continues throughout 2019.

Goodwill only lasts for so long and extended honeymoons don't endure forever - nor should they. Losing Neil after Trigg was tapped on the shoulder didn't help. Bolton has all the young talent any coach could wish for - just not enough developed stars - hopefully his 2019 game plan is matched to the players he has got - rather than the players he left behind at Hawthorn.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Certainly sounds like Bolton has eased back a bit with the players over the off season. Numerous interviews with players suggest this has been a good thing for everyone. Even in a recent article Bolton admitted his people management at times could have been much better. I like the sound of his progress recently in developing strong relationships. Hopefully this continues throughout 2019.

Rings a bell. IIRC Ratten started to do the same after a few years an let his assistants have more influence

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
Bolton has this season and next at the very most to show acmore positve results and development of a wining game plan.
Supporters want more wins, 2018 was dismal, a forgettable campaign no matter what excuses conjured up.
Unacceptable for any AFL team.
If things don’t gain positive momentum meaning and wining games at least 10 for 2020, Bolton will be moved on.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
As far as I am concerned, the clock starts ticking this season. You cannot judge a coach on performance when there is such a massive list turnover. We reached ground zero in 2018 when we had our most inexperienced list , and a shed load of injuries. The youngsters are not so young anymore and they have had 3 years to learn the game plan and start to develop the chemistry between them. Now all we need, is to stop having injuries to key players, and for those players to spend time together in the heat of the battle, to learn and trust each other.
Its still not going to come all together this year, but I expect a partial coming together. There has to be signs , and there has to be a building on processes already established. We simply cannot have another year like 2018 or there should be questions asked. I dont expect another year like '18 - I just cannot see it happening. I am not looking at '18 and looking for blood because I can see the mitigating circumstances. And I am not looking for finals in '19 either , but what I am looking for is tangible improvement. 6-10 wins is my prediction

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
2018 despite only two wins and a bevy of injuries was not a coach breaker in my opinion. In fact it was predicted by him. There will be ups and downs he said. Some beltings, but look for the green shoots. A lot of young individuals that slowly forge a team is how I would put it. I think even if we didnt have the injuries it was foolish to expect much better from the early days of the new list. But we were in a lot of games, and with some experience would have won a few more.

In an ordinary rebuild those youth would have around 8-10 senior figures to help and lead but last year we had a meagre handful and only three of A grade quality in Kreuzer Murph and Simmo. Go and do that at any club with any coach and you will get 2 wins if your lucky.

And yet there was a lot of good signs and the win loss column was not the place to look for that. It was the development of comradeship and a sense of team that the nucleus had begun to forge. It was the glimpses of special talent from Dow and LOB and Samo and Fisher and Jack and others. It was there in lots of ways and most of all in how these players weathered the frustrations of a very difficult situation to be in but kept their eye on the work and the journey. Because of course they want to win and every game is a chance to win yet the discipline of that growing unity had us with virtually no suspensions. What's the first thing that happens when your getting thrashed and feeling down, loss of discipline is what; players lashing out is what; either physically or verbally at the opposition and each other. But it didnt happen. And that is Boltons doing. All year while he hurt inside he reminded us of how its building resilience and will pay us back.

There are some claiming Bolts has no idea and has lost the players. I call that utter garbage and the recent videos prove it.

So yes it starts now but still it would be foolish to expect a miracle. One more year for mine till there is enough maturity of mind and body right across the playing field. Then the expectations go up and challenging for finals is the yardstick. Very confident that will be met and in 3 years we will be calling Bolts the best since Parko.

The best way to make sure we stay down is start agitating against the coach. If the team can be united then so can we in support.

Last edited:

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
Structures looked good, everyone seemed to be on the same page
Looked good last night but if we are going to play the press we’d want to make sure we have the most manic pressure in the league - a few times we still looked very suss when getting rebounded against. Slingshot teams would have a ball with us.

Please note I am not bagging Bolton - he is our man.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Looked good last night but if we are going to play the press we’d want to make sure we have the most manic pressure in the league - a few times we still looked very suss when getting rebounded against. Slingshot teams would have a ball with us.

I agree, but generally it is more about setup and positioning rather than leg speed. It does still look like a work in progress

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Still far too many long bombs into the F50..

images (34).jpeg

"Long bombs to snake" ...

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton

There are definitely still going to be times when teams are going to score heavily against us in a hurry. Amos pretty well acknowledged this in his presser, as did Bolts a number of times last year.

It is still very much a case of knowing when to pull the trigger & when to play a bit of tempo footy. This is going to take some time for the group to get right. When we do get it right consistently, "slingshot" teams will be much less of a worry.

skadoosh

Premiership Player
May 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
There are definitely still going to be times when teams are going to score heavily against us in a hurry. Amos pretty well acknowledged this in his presser, as did Bolts a number of times last year.

It is still very much a case of knowing when to pull the trigger & when to play a bit of tempo footy. This is going to take some time for the group to get right. When we do get it right consistently, "slingshot" teams will be much less of a worry.
Turnovers from misdirected kicks and handballs are the biggest reasons for scores being kicked against us. I'm really looking forward to seeing how our gameplay evolves this season.
We've got the right guys on the field, with their natural skill development, understanding of strategy and required gameplay, along with an increase in fitness, I believe we're in for a very exciting year and will surprise many in terms of competitiveness and number of wins.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
The trend in football administration is to back the coach through difficult periods with a view to the longer term. Bolton will coach until the end of 2020. If we have not produced the results by then he will be sacked. He deserves the opportunity to see what he can do with such a young talented list. If they sack him mid year there will be the longest line of aspiring coach wanting to get their hands on this list. All the hard work has been done

That’s 2 more seasons....

I don’t think he’ll be ‘sacked’ it’s not in vogue

Depends what results are expected, improvement yes, but hopefully our admin are realistic & supporters

I’m sick of this club sacking coaches, give him a decent run at it the list has been stripped

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
That’s 2 more seasons....

I don’t think he’ll be ‘sacked’ it’s not in vogue

Depends what results are expected, improvement yes, but hopefully our admin are realistic & supporters

I’m sick of this club sacking coaches, give him a decent run at it the list has been stripped
You got my vote

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Lets look at some facts..or at least I think they are facts and it's why that new coach solution isnt one.

We came to the end of a second stint of David Parkin. It went too long and recruiting had gone backwards.

Wayne Brittain. Could he coach?...Parkin thought so but the president threw him under a bus with a live grenade. Which exploded when brown paper bags were in vogue.....Fail...though almost a hero somehow on the back of Mighty Kouta.

Denis Pagan.. Sucessful and renowned for being good with youth. Despite the draft restrictions he got some talent and a reasonable core group still....Fail

Brett Ratten.. Ex player much revered. A stack of talent. Poor decisions on personnel repeatedly and not the tactical nouse required.... Fail

Mick Malthouse.. Legend. Hard strict disciplinarian. Had a real good list if only they were made tougher. Fail and dragged a club backwards in the process

Brendon Bolton ... Negotiating a severely depleted and young group into a position ready to challenge. Somehow keeping them upbeat despite endless losses. Players re-signing wanting to be part of it. Fantastic industry best recruitment.

Meanwhile almost all premierships are won by coaches given long periods to succeed. The days of the mavericks like Barassi are long gone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back