Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect you are right to an extent but we haven't got that right either with Boekhorst and Cuningham being injured.

Wright, Kerridge, Curnow are role playing midfielders and perhaps inside/out rather than right at the goal face, but they also don't have the pace to provide that outside run. Gibbs doesn't have the pace either but he creates space because he has smart running patterns so can provide outside run when the movement is underway, not from a standing start.

I always felt that our flankers should have midfield ability as well and on the surface Simpson and Thomas used to be in the midfield a lot at their peak, but we just don't use them there. Walker has had the ability to get down and dirty in the midfield but has slowed down so isn't use there. Lamb rotates through a little bit but is not a midfielder, and Sumner is too tiny in there.

Back flankers .... Tuohy isn't used in the midfield although many have suggested it, Byrne looks like he could be in time. Docherty looks like he could be an awesome midfielder in my view but is needed down back.

We bring Graham in and out of the side and he is suited to being an inside mid as far as being tough and where his lack of pace won't be exposed, but he is either too light or doesn't think quick enough to influence clearances.

So many in between players.

This is why the idea of versatile players intrigues me this year. Yes, Brodie is good but he is an inside mid and probably that is all he is. Got some pace though so there is something to work with.

Venables could be an inside mid, an inside/out mid, an outside mid, a half forward, a forward pocket, a half back. His attributes are suited to all of those roles and he has shown the ability to play them all in his junior career.

McLuggage could be an outside mid, half forward or forward pocket.

Petrevski-Seton is classed as a bit of a utility. Great ball use on both sides from whatever position. Good news is he is an inside/out or outside mid at present and not something that you have to hope he picks up as we are with Charlie Curnow for example and did hope for Troy Menzel.

I'm wary of our picking up of in between types if they haven't shown anything in the midfield. They must have demonstrated ability there before we draft them for mine. Look at Yarran. All his run and dash really allowed him to do in several years is play as a running half back and we had to battle to teach him defensive skills for a few years. He really should have been able to run through the midfield but never developed a tank or feel for it.
McLuggage needs a name change..
Journos are gonna beat the suitcase out of him.

speaking of WC any chance we pinch one their assistant coaches to support BB next season?

Toothless, red headed and former Carlton VC
loved him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting theory I was talking about with a mate the other day. Say Malthouse is still coaching us and we're going like we are at the moment. Would he be getting ripped into at the moment for the way we are playing like last year? Last year it was popular to hate Malthouse, that's what the media ingrained into us, we were losing all the time, down the bottom, playing ugly. Our game plan was getting torn to shreds on here and blamed for it all. My argument was always that it wasn't the game plan, it was the players. If you haven't got the players you will play into the opposition's defensive trap whereas if you do you can cut through their defenses a bit more. The whole bomb it long to the forwards, go around the boundary, it was because the players weren't good enough to do otherwise but that idea was shut down by many. Now we have a new coach, we won a few games early looking to play more direct, attacking, daring football and that was great. It looked great, it looked different, it hasn't lasted.

Now anyone who has watched us play the last month or so of football would notice something familiar. We're playing pretty much exactly the same way we played last year when we were losing, bar our zone defensive structures. Bomb the ball, bomb it in blindly inside 50, bomb it up the boundary line, go wide most of the time. Well we're still moving it better from defence and having more "good plays" but the balance has tipped towards last years style of play of recent times. Perhaps I was right and we actually weren't playing the way Malthouse wanted us to play under him like I was always suggesting, like Collingwood did under him (nothing like us) and like we did in 2013 at times when we were ok. End of the day we played that loser, defensive style of football last year but we had a lot of our best players missing then too. Our list was thin and we didn't have a lot of this season's good players on our list last year like Weitering, Byrne, Gibbs, Wright, Plowman and Kerridge etc along with carrying a few who were out the door and not trying. But with our blind rage that was no excuse, it was the coach's fault and that was final. I feel this year if we have a few injuries like we have at the moment, that injuries would be an acceptable excuse as it was for some with Ratten's team in 2012. IMO that just goes to show that if you like a coach it's easy to find/accept excuses but if you don't it's their fault if things aren't going well.

The last two weeks or so I see a few things that just aren't right. Jones averages the most goals for Carlton and was dropped from a winning side and despite consistently kicking goals in the VFL and AFL is left out. Jaksch is the VFL side leading goal kicker and has been in decent form and is yet to play a game. We are the second lowest scoring side in the competition, we have forwards in our team who have hardly kicked any goals but contue to get games. Then there is Graham, Malthouse copped a bit for not playing him. New coach, still not getting a game, still dominating the VFL. Then I watch the last few games and here we are bombing the ball inside 50, I see us breaking quickly off half back with no forwards to kick to, I see our clearances have fallen away since last year. Now I can't help but think, that if we had a coach who wasn't likable like Malthouse became that all this would become an issue and they would be copping it.

Now I'm not having a go at our new coaching staff. Apart from our team selection/structure, I think there have been a few occasions this season where we have got it wrong. It's just that we're looking at the last month and a bit of the season, we've improved a little but 4 losses in a row likely to become 5, playing in a very similar way to last season that many of us blamed the coach's game plan for and we're just two wins ahead of last season, though that is bound to increase you would hope.

Interesting insight to where our thought processes have been as supporters and as a club. Angry becuase we were promised to be a top 4 premiership contender, believed it and the opposite happened, sacked the coach who was pretty much the scapegoat, continued to slide, repeated the process. Content with being a bottom side because we've been told to expect it and we're having a "reset". Now slightly agitated because we had a taste of a run of wins and now we're back to playing ugly, messy, losing football.

I think there is certainly a lesson in it and that at the moment you can be sure we aren't playing the way the coach would like us to be playing that's for sure. I think in the past we as supporters would go after the coach a bit after showing a bit then going backwards. It's good to see a bit more patience shown and real problem being discussed which is as it's been for a long time, we just don't have the players and patience needs to be shown.

End of the day, have we actually changed and how long will it last?

Nutshell.

You think BB is just a shorter MM and MM was unlucky?

Here what MM had.

Henderson, Yarran, Betts, Garlett, Waite, Menzel, Robinson, Bell.... Oh, and some guy called Judd.

Almost all left because of him and Judd retired. If you think there is any resemblance between the two coaches you need glasses.
Actually they didn't leave because of him. They left after he was sacked.
Most of those had personal issues away from football... but nice story.

Actually they didn't leave because of him. They left after he was sacked.
Most of those had personal issues away from football... but nice story.

They were on the list when he was coach and amongst our best players.

Two years later they've either gone or checked out or been delisted, the club in a shambles and in need of a rebuild.

Those left are traded in attempts to rebuild the list.

Give Bolton what MM was handed three years ago and we'd be in a different position.

Last edited:
Interesting theory I was talking about with a mate the other day. Say Malthouse is still coaching us and we're going like we are at the moment. Would he be getting ripped into at the moment for the way we are playing like last year? Last year it was popular to hate Malthouse, that's what the media ingrained into us, we were losing all the time, down the bottom, playing ugly. Our game plan was getting torn to shreds on here and blamed for it all. My argument was always that it wasn't the game plan, it was the players. If you haven't got the players you will play into the opposition's defensive trap whereas if you do you can cut through their defenses a bit more. The whole bomb it long to the forwards, go around the boundary, it was because the players weren't good enough to do otherwise but that idea was shut down by many. Now we have a new coach, we won a few games early looking to play more direct, attacking, daring football and that was great. It looked great, it looked different, it hasn't lasted.

Now anyone who has watched us play the last month or so of football would notice something familiar. We're playing pretty much exactly the same way we played last year when we were losing, bar our zone defensive structures. Bomb the ball, bomb it in blindly inside 50, bomb it up the boundary line, go wide most of the time. Well we're still moving it better from defence and having more "good plays" but the balance has tipped towards last years style of play of recent times. Perhaps I was right and we actually weren't playing the way Malthouse wanted us to play under him like I was always suggesting, like Collingwood did under him (nothing like us) and like we did in 2013 at times when we were ok. End of the day we played that loser, defensive style of football last year but we had a lot of our best players missing then too. Our list was thin and we didn't have a lot of this season's good players on our list last year like Weitering, Byrne, Gibbs, Wright, Plowman and Kerridge etc along with carrying a few who were out the door and not trying. But with our blind rage that was no excuse, it was the coach's fault and that was final. I feel this year if we have a few injuries like we have at the moment, that injuries would be an acceptable excuse as it was for some with Ratten's team in 2012. IMO that just goes to show that if you like a coach it's easy to find/accept excuses but if you don't it's their fault if things aren't going well.

The last two weeks or so I see a few things that just aren't right. Jones averages the most goals for Carlton and was dropped from a winning side and despite consistently kicking goals in the VFL and AFL is left out. Jaksch is the VFL side leading goal kicker and has been in decent form and is yet to play a game. We are the second lowest scoring side in the competition, we have forwards in our team who have hardly kicked any goals but contue to get games. Then there is Graham, Malthouse copped a bit for not playing him. New coach, still not getting a game, still dominating the VFL. Then I watch the last few games and here we are bombing the ball inside 50, I see us breaking quickly off half back with no forwards to kick to, I see our clearances have fallen away since last year. Now I can't help but think, that if we had a coach who wasn't likable like Malthouse became that all this would become an issue and they would be copping it.

Now I'm not having a go at our new coaching staff. Apart from our team selection/structure, I think there have been a few occasions this season where we have got it wrong. It's just that we're looking at the last month and a bit of the season, we've improved a little but 4 losses in a row likely to become 5, playing in a very similar way to last season that many of us blamed the coach's game plan for and we're just two wins ahead of last season, though that is bound to increase you would hope.

Interesting insight to where our thought processes have been as supporters and as a club. Angry becuase we were promised to be a top 4 premiership contender, believed it and the opposite happened, sacked the coach who was pretty much the scapegoat, continued to slide, repeated the process. Content with being a bottom side because we've been told to expect it and we're having a "reset". Now slightly agitated because we had a taste of a run of wins and now we're back to playing ugly, messy, losing football.

I think there is certainly a lesson in it and that at the moment you can be sure we aren't playing the way the coach would like us to be playing that's for sure. I think in the past we as supporters would go after the coach a bit after showing a bit then going backwards. It's good to see a bit more patience shown and real problem being discussed which is as it's been for a long time, we just don't have the players and patience needs to be shown.

End of the day, have we actually changed and how long will it last?

I just want to put it on record that I am very grateful to CFC regime which oversaw the recruitment of Thomas/Jones/Tutt/Jacksh/Whiley and Boekhurst - inexplicable how some of these blokes aren't being given a fair go based on their good form in VFL - totally agree with your view that Bolton and his match committee are looking pretty silly

Give Bolton what MM was handed three years ago and we'd be in a different position.

Our list was as bad then as it is now, it's just that Bolts is afforded the luxury of a rebuild whereas MM was expected to get results straight away. Don't get me wrong though, MM was a shambles and I reckon Bolts will end up being a better coach than him.

I do agree that Bolts & co. have a lot to answer for in regards to selections.

Our list was as bad then as it is now, it's just that Bolts is afforded the luxury of a rebuild whereas MM was expected to get results straight away. Don't get me wrong though, MM was a shambles and I reckon Bolts will end up being a better coach than him.

I do agree that Bolts & co. have a lot to answer for in regards to selections.

NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back