Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ange was photographed at our training during the week, his continued involvement could be a great things for Bolton's development as a coach and for the club's culture more generally.
Get the feeling that Ange would be a wonderful person to bounce ideas off. Could be a very good sounding board for Bolts.

would it be outrageous to suggest that a soccer coach could cross over into the AFL?
It seems to me that there is a lot of cross over in strategy and tactics between the two codes now. And probably will get closer going forward

would it be outrageous to suggest that a soccer coach could cross over into the AFL?
It seems to me that there is a lot of cross over in strategy and tactics between the two codes now. And probably will get closer going forward

Maybe as a director of coaching or similar.

Clubs won't admit it but they have to be able to sell the idea to members . Ange or similar as a match day coach wouldn't get across the line.

A big knock (from some) on Bolts is he never played at the highest level, not having played at all would be a stretch.

Maybe as a director of coaching or similar.

Clubs won't admit it but they have to be able to sell the idea to members . Ange or similar as a match day coach wouldn't get across the line.

A big knock (from some) on Bolts is he never played at the highest level, not having played at all would be a stretch.

Fair enough, there is a growing recognition though that the head coach is more of a man mangement role, which could open the way.......

Possible? Yes. More plausible if it's a man management role as opposed to tactical role.
Probable? No. A decent soccer coach/manager could go to Europe and earn at a minimum double what he could in the AFL, even in some of the lesser competitions/divisions.

It is interesting that Ange only played until he was 26 in the NSL so not a massive level but is able to command respect from players, coaches and administrators from the highest levels.

The reasons are pretty clear, the skill set for a great coach is different to that of a great player. Motivating a group to do what you want is far different than motivating yourself to do what you want

As long as our players don't start dropping to the ground like they've been shot, clutching their faces and rolling over a dozen times every time there's the slightest physical contact...

As long as our players don't start dropping to the ground like they've been shot, clutching their faces and rolling over a dozen times every time there's the slightest physical contact...

You mean like this

Zinedine-Zidane-headbutted-Marco-Materazzi-1024x576.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll that is a blatant infringment on his opponet , you are not able to touch the Ball or your Player with your hands.
Its an offense, simple and consistent rule.
You're being facetious, right?...
There's no way anyone could justify that sort of carry on/faking/acting/cheating...

I'm reading Ange Postecoglou's book at the moment about his efforts to change (the other) football in Australia. In one chapter he talks about coaching South Melbourne at 30 years old and how he had to engage and drag the entire club including the board and supporters to change culture to win back to back titles.

As I am reading it his thoughts on leadership and the role of a coach are outstanding, it was an inspired choice to have him on the selection panel for the Carlton senior coach position. It has probably made me trust the selection of bolts even more.

Brendon Boltsecoglou...

Exactly. **** they make me sick!....

View attachment 318097

Comments like this make me sick, cheating/acting for a competitive advantage is just as rife in AFL as it is in soccer, basketball or any other professional sport.

There is no high pedestal to stand on as an afl supporter when at the highest level a team systematically dopes, then other players duck and act to get free kicks.

It is all just cheating for competitive advantage, and that is unsportsmanlike and shouldn't be supported.

Can't imagine 'The Coglu' would be one to tolerate diving. I reckon if he played AFL , Ange would have been a hard-arse half bank flanker

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comments like this make me sick, cheating/acting for a competitive advantage is just as rife in AFL as it is in soccer, basketball or any other professional sport.

No. No it's not. Soccer has a serious problem. This is common practice for players. The endless articles, controversy and discussions around this disgraceful behaviour prompted the sport to bring in the "simulation rule". There is no comparison with any other sport as far as this issue goes. Players, coaches, officials, everyone speaks of this blight on their sport....

There is no high pedestal to stand on as an afl supporter

I'm not on an AFL pedestal. I'm on a pedestal with sports lovers who are sick and tired of these peanuts acting like dills. Coming from a Greek background, my dad insisted I play soccer as a kid. The culture around soccer clubs at grass roots, builds and nurtures this type of embarrassing behaviour...

It is all just cheating for competitive advantage, and that is unsportsmanlike and shouldn't be supported.

It's more than that. It makes a wonderful, skilful, exciting sport, unwatchable....

I like the idea of cross-code pollination. Can't hurt and could bring new perspective to Australian rules football.

Just stay the hell away from Pat Howard.

Ric Charlesworth coached across hockey, cricket, AFL (Freo) and the AIS.

Not always as head coach, of course.

So some coaches have the skills for cross pollination.

Reckon Bolton would be a candidate. He's a teacher / instructor as much (or more) than he is a footy strategist. Should be valuable in any code.

I like the idea of cross-code pollination. Can't hurt and could bring new perspective to Australian rules football.

Just stay the hell away from Pat Howard.

We're not always welcoming to essendon* supporters on our board, but every now and then we don't mind a little bit of Doss-pollination...

There is no high pedestal to stand on as an afl supporter when at the highest level a team systematically dopes, then other players duck and act to get free kicks.

Bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back