Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I've said, it's about structure more than skill.

Given how often I hear pundits and fans yearn for the good Ol' days, we should be the most popular team in the league. All we do is kick to a contest!

There was no attempt at structure on the weekend. Bolton had Murphy playing HB, Weitering up forward, Charlie on ball, Docherty on a wing etc. He had players trialling everywhere. Plus a heap of kids getting experience. It was purely get out have a kick, work hard and get some real game time fitness as many of you won't get a rest. If no one gets injured he would be happy.

Well BB may get uncomfortable making others uncomfortable. I suspect we will see jack going backwards this year- weight of expectation etc. I think Charlie wont get the numbers of possessions that we expect, but will still do the odd freakish thing that teases us. Harry will be a slow burn. His frame keeps stretching and that will take some filling out. Dc will show glimpses. SPS will come on but will be restricted by his tank. Zac will show good signs but be outbodied . BB will try all the youngsters and that will bring uncomfortable results. I'm comfortable with that- for now!

I'm looking at an optimist scenario in this post, but I believe we can play finals much earlier. Not saying this year. But I think we can win many more games than people think.

Firstly, we do know the full potential of the GWS recruits. Plowman, Sumner, Pickett & Marchbank have had injuries early in their career. They all seem to have had a good preseason. They have now been in the system for a few seasons. Phillips as a ruckman showed something last year & ruckman as we all know take longer.

This could be a possible line up for round 1:

Sumner Casboult Silvagni
Pickett Weitering Palmer
Cuningham Cripps Murphy
Docherty Rowe Thomas
Plowman Marchbank Simpson
Rucks: Kreuzer Gibbs E Curnow
Inter: Wright, Kerridge, Armfield, SPS, C Curnow

Inj
Byrne
Phillips
Sheehan? ( not sure which catergory he belongs)

Seasoned Replacements: A Silvagni, Smedts, Boekhorst, White, Buckley, Graham, Jones, Lamb, Gorringe

Young Players: Mckay, Fisher, Polson, Lebois, Williamson, Macreadie, Williamson, Kerr

That hypothetical team named above for round 1 in my opinion gives Bolton a lot to work with in terms of winning games this year. If we have a relative injury free year, then our midfield will be able to hold their own with most teams. If Pickett & Marchbank hit their straps early, then we could see more wins than expected. I believe there is a lot more seasoned talent in that hypothetical team than what the outside footy world gives us credit for.

We could expect 4 or 5 of the seasoned replacements playing a reasonable amounts of games and hopefully a couple can really surprise and give Bolton more to work with.

Out of the young players, I wouldn't expect more than 3 to 4 of them playing more than 3 to 8 games possibly later in the year. Hopefully, they find it hard to break into the team. And I think Bolton will coach this way.

There are probably 13 teams that believe they will play finals this year. I'm not including Freo, GC, NM, Bris & us

It won't take long before 2 or 3 of those teams feel the pressure because their performances don't meet their expectations and they implode ie injuries, bad game plan, loss of confidence; becoming easy pickings. Carlton does not have expectations externally. Either from the outside AFL community or their own supporters. But internally, I think Bolton has the players thinking otherwise.

I will get a lot of backlash here, but I believe we have 2 very important players that may help propel the team. I don't like Casboult in the same team as Kreuzer & Phillips for obvious reason. But I like him with only one ruckman. He is an elite pack mark and can burst packs open. If he doesn't mark it he brings it to the ground. Our young developing small forwards need someone like this to allow them front & centre opportunities. Our young tall forwards need a strong body around them to develop. His goal kicking should be looked at as a bonus. If he can do 15-20% ruck work then he is very valuable.

The other important player is Rowe. If he can hold his own or there abouts in most games & maybe do a bit rucking, this can allow Weitering to become a weapon for Bolton. He will also allow Marchbank to develop & be a more attacking defender (And if Rowe fails, he probably uses A Silvagni)

I think the last game of last year many judged Carlton. But if you look at the performances against WC, Syd, Haw & Melb before that game, then I think this paints a truer picture.

I think Bolton is a here & now type of coach. He will be developing players any which way he can. He knows he has Murphy, Gibbs, Krezuer & Simpson for 2 to 5 years and he will coach accordingly. Remember the Hawthorn model is to have young players serve an apprenticeship

Everything the Baggers do on the park is serious business and even scratch matches are usually indication of what's to comming at least in the early stages of the year.
Hope a different line up sparks up to something different and a better performance that the last.
It's exciting times for the club, love the rebiuld, I'm expecting great results 2019 onwards.
Go Baggers

Well BB may get uncomfortable making others uncomfortable. I suspect we will see jack going backwards this year- weight of expectation etc. I think Charlie wont get the numbers of possessions that we expect, but will still do the odd freakish thing that teases us. Harry will be a slow burn. His frame keeps stretching and that will take some filling out. Dc will show glimpses. SPS will come on but will be restricted by his tank. Zac will show good signs but be outbodied . BB will try all the youngsters and that will bring uncomfortable results. I'm comfortable with that- for now!

Interesting view on Jack and you could be right. Charlie showed last week he can find it though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

I'm looking at an optimist scenario in this post, but I believe we can play finals much earlier. Not saying this year.
We will be lucky to make the ladder this year.. Another year of fail coming up.

And Dud Thomas wouldn't get a game in the Lions team.. he has no place in Carltons team

Last edited:
"Carlton coach Brendon Bolton won't change tactics after leaving out key players in 92-point loss to St Kilda"

Yes.. that's what we wanna hear - brilliant! Get destroyed and humiliated all over the ground, that's the way forward... onwards and downwards.

"Carlton coach Brendon Bolton won't change tactics after leaving out key players in 92-point loss to St Kilda"

Yes.. that's what we wanna hear - brilliant! Get destroyed and humiliated all over the ground, that's the way forward... onwards and downwards.

We will be better than last year.

Let's maybe make/reserve judgement after 8 to 10 rounds

PS Brucey Doull was always cool under pressure

Don't be so small minded "Biggus"

We will be better than last year.

Let's maybe make/reserve judgement after 8 to 10 rounds
I feel that our season will be well and truly defined by round 8 ...

Sorry, on current form I see nothing to even smile at let alone get excited about... Right direction?
Lets "not change tactics" and there is a good chance of bottom 3. They are showing NOTHING to give me or anyone .00001% confidence. FFS, they are playing Dud Thomas.. you'd be better off being a player down than playing that farce... not sure whose worse, him or Joke Watts.

I feel that our season will be well and truly defined by round 8 ...

Sorry, on current form I see nothing to even smile at let alone get excited about... Right direction?
Lets "not change tactics" and there is a good chance of bottom 3. They are showing NOTHING to give me or anyone .00001% confidence. FFS, they are playing Dud Thomas.. you'd be better off being a player down than playing that farce... not sure whose worse, him or Joke Watts.
Thomas hasn't made the team for round one yet, you might be going off a tad early.

BB won't be disclosing everything to the media.

I mean, how many times have coaches been totally transparent with their tactics and gameplans with the media?

What exactly were you expecting?

BB won't be disclosing everything to the media.

I mean, how many times have coaches been totally transparent with their tactics and gameplans with the media?
MM told them he couldn't see us losing a game. The other teams worked out how to beat that system pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back