Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
I like BB , I just question why a Dale Thomas is consistently selected when he offers nothing positive to the team on match day, and contributes to plenty going the other way.

That he is no longer AFL standard yet gets a game ahead of guys who at least try to put the team before themselves and - who knows - may have something to contribute to the long term prospects of the list, is the only black mark I have against our new coach. I just don't get it, and I wish someone would explain it so I can at least understand reasoning.
Daisy ain't what he used to be, but to suggest that he puts himself ahead of the team is so wide of the mark it would be fielded at backward point.

Erko Blue

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Suprised to see his thread hasn't risen.

Bolton is building a team to be reckoned with.
A team built on effort and pressure.

Round 1 was disappointing, a terrible start to the year. Lift.

Round 2 we did lift albeit for a short period. However we got under our opponents skin and halted their natural play.
They looked over their shoulder, they worried about us!

Round 3 Tough. We played wet weather footy better than our opponents. Made them look twice, actually made them look weak.

I see a team being built on
function over flair,
toughness over titillation,
And I like it.

(yeah, I know, cliché after cliché. The overused corporate speech is infuriating however it seems to have infultrated every successful w***er in our country, so I'll put it to one side)

Erko Blue

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
In time, in time.
Tittalation will come.

All of our ideas about the successful teams of the past (which we so want to emulate) are hindsight.
No one saw them coming.

They weren't built on individual brilliance.
If they were more Brownlow medallist would be premiership players.

Its all about THE WAY THE TEAM PLAYS.

That is why I don't get caught up with the:
'this player is s**t he needs to be replaced with this player' conversation.

List management is extremely important, yes.
But we don't have to have the best list to be the best.

To be the best we have to find a way to win and I trust Bolton to find the way.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Suprised to see his thread hasn't risen.

Bolton is building a team to be reckoned with.
A team built on effort and pressure.

Round 1 was disappointing, a terrible start to the year. Lift.

Round 2 we did lift albeit for a short period. However we got under our opponents skin and halted their natural play.
They looked over their shoulder, they worried about us!

Round 3 Tough. We played wet weather footy better than our opponents. Made them look twice, actually made them look weak.

I see a team being built on
function over flair,
toughness over titillation,
And I like it.

(yeah, I know, cliché after cliché. The overused corporate speech is infuriating however it seems to have infultrated every successful ****** in our country, so I'll put it to one side)
Round 1: No defensive structure, players not sure what ground to cover.
Round 2: After a diabolical first quarter & a bit, the defensive structures were in place & Melbourne had to play ring-a-ring-a-rosey with the football, as they tried to open up our structures. Sadly we used up so many petrol tickets getting back into the game, the defensive structures didn't hold up in the last quarter.
Round 3: The defensive structures were in place from the first siren, unfortunately early on we didn't capitalise on our opportunities. Our structures stayed strong throughout the game & the Cheats conceded defeat & consistently bombed the ball inside 50, allowing the likes of Doc, Plow & Rowe to feast on uncontested ball.

Bolton has instilled a strong defensive mindset into the players, something that many are still getting used to. Before too long it will become second nature & it won't only be the Demons or the Cheats who struggle to get enough decent inside 50 opportunities to consistently hit the scoreboard.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Round 1: No defensive structure, players not sure what ground to cover.
Round 2: After a diabolical first quarter & a bit, the defensive structures were in place & Melbourne had to play ring-a-ring-a-rosey with the football, as they tried to open up our structures. Sadly we used up so many petrol tickets getting back into the game, the defensive structures didn't hold up in the last quarter.
Round 3: The defensive structures were in place from the first siren, unfortunately early on we didn't capitalise on our opportunities. Our structures stayed strong throughout the game & the Cheats conceded defeat & consistently bombed the ball inside 50, allowing the likes of Doc, Plow & Rowe to feast on uncontested ball.

We play a pretty young backline this year, Simpson Rowe and Docherty notwithstanding. Marchbank, Williamson and McCready had to get used to playing with Plowman and the others.

Conventional wisdom is that a defensive unit needs a couple of years playing together to properly gel.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
It's one of those LG OLEDs that David Warner bangs on about in those ads.

They're freaking amazing tellys but cost the world. Worth every penny for mine.
Fair enough. Never heard of them. I'm assuming the ad was flogged to death during the cricket, which I don't follow.
Surprised there would be much demand for a function like that.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Bolton has made a fair statement tonight with our selections. The older guys in the side are there because they have earned it. There are young guys in the side who haven't completely earned it but have shown a bit and that gets them a spot. We're clearly going all youth and if your one of our older players you better perform!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back