Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who was the main man at Carlton who got/wanted Bolton Blues fans?
Reminds me of Dunstall getting Clarkson across the line at Hawthorn all those years ago.
Really starting to look like an inspired move.
A plan, master communicator and teacher.
Carlton looks a happy club again from the outside....

There were others too as it was a panel. Think McKay might have been on panel too as I recall one club employee was on the panel. Also Ken Sheldon IIRC. And a recruitment expert.

And behind the panel... credit where credit's due, Trigg (believe it or not) and LoGuidice have been brilliant since taking over in 2015

And behind the panel... credit where credit's due, Trigg (believe it or not) and LoGuidice have been brilliant since taking over in 2015
LoGuidice has been a revelation! I've been earnestly considering starting a thread about him. I was extremely non-plussed about his appointment, but it seems every move made since then has been gold. Getting Trigg in, getting SOS back, and getting Bolts in. And also having the faith in his team to let them have their way. He's been amazing.

This guy :blueheart::blueheart::blueheart:

DChaeCxUAAAHlMR.jpg

#StandByBolts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was rather disconcerting sitting up in Member's area on Saturday with numerous people literally asking, "WTF is going on here???". Granted it may have been just a bad week, nevertheless, I'm going sheet the blame for the performance against the Suns fairly & squarely on our coach for the following reasons:
  • Planning and preparation for this match was obviously piss-poor at best. The team looked disorganised and didn't look ready to play....and that was before the centre bounce. The fact that some of our players hadn't got to position or located their direct opponent by the time the umpire bounced the ball illustrates the point. It's the coaches job to ensure that all players know their roles and are prepared to play from the word go.
    "I think we just learned a lesson today. You don't have the right to go out there and just turn up and expect it to happen" - Marc Murphy
  • One comment in Bolton's midweek presser
    "Their (GCS) contested game's grown and their pressure's grown so we've got to be really prepared and we're not taking them lightly that's for sure." - Brendon Bolton.
    But then this from our skipper post match:
    "They're (the GCS) a really good contested side and we didn't get that right." - Marc Murphy.
    Which then prompted this from a well-known Fish & Chip Shop proprietor:
    "Please explain???" - Pauline Hanson.
    Well the message obviously didn't get though to the playing group. Perhaps it got diluted going via the extra layer of coaching we picked up over the off-season. Maybe it wasn't even mentioned at all.
  • I'm also beginning to wonder if Bolton might be becoming a little too comfortable being comfortable. Other comments made is that same presser also had me concerned, such as:
    They're just so coachable this group....that's what I love about them.
    The players don't need a new best chum, they need a coach. Someone who'll teach them discipline, develop their skillset, encourage teamwork so that individuals operate as a collective, build confidence & self-belief. I saw precious little of any of that on Saturday. A coach trying to be his players' best chum can only lead to a case of the tail wagging the dog. Having said that, they don't need a tyrant either.
  • For me there were plenty of alarm bells going off before this game was played. The decline in the defensive side of our game in the previous 3 matches has been more than noticeable, whereas virtually every other team has stepped theirs up: Against St.Kilda we had 30 tackles to their 48 and even more damning was just a paltry 2 tackles inside 50 to the Saints 12. Against the Hawks in JLT 2 it was 90 tackles to 52 and to highlight the lack of defensive pressure through the middle of the ground the Hawks had 62 inside 50s to our 39, which resulted in 19 marks for the Hawks to our 6. Forget the result, had Burgoyne not kicked 0.5, Gunston 1.3 and Sicily not handed us 3 goals on a platter we would have had our arses handed to us. Against a half-arsed Tigers we had 47 tackles opposed to 70 and a piss-poor 6 tackles inside 50 to their 11. Our lack of pressure through the middle of the ground and out of the front half resulted in 71 inside 50s to the Tigers against 47 for us, which resulted in 19 marks inside 50 for them opposed to our 8. Given 7 of our goals come from 50m penalties or free kicks and that the Tuggas had 36 scoring shots to our 20 tend to indicate that perhaps our loss in this game wasn't as honourable as many seem to think.....especially given we had a 5 goal head start. Once again on Saturday just 67 tackles to GCS 93. Hate to say it, but based upon the evidence available this Carlton team are still downhill skiers who only play bruise-free footy.
  • Of our 2015 draftees, Weitering has gone backwards, SOSOS has backwards, McKay's failed to show any real signs of development, while Cuningham has been moved to a back flank because he can't cut it as a mid, whether that be inside, outside or balanced. The thing that disturbs me most about this is that 3 of those aforementioned players are 1st Round picks and going nowhere. Add to that JGM's barely VFL quality and Gallucci has been delisted. Will we ever see the dividends in Bolton's "investing in people"??? WTF is going on with our development programs???
  • Liam Jones' further development as a KPD seems to have been put on ice, forgotten about, or simply ignored. Jones was exposed on a number of occasions towards the end of last year (Cats, Swans & Eagles) yet little seems to have been done over to summer to address his deficiencies and lack of positional nous. You just can't afford to zone off 15-20m from players such as Lynch, Hawkins, Kennedy & Buddy especially when you know the midfield is unlikely to put any defensive pressure on the ball carrier delivering the pill inside 50. Given we now have 2 defensive coaches and the Full Back of the Century is always there for consultation when required, there's absolutely no excuse. Jones' form has also been questionable so far this year. I've lost count of the amount of times he has let the ball get behind him when going for a spoil and his kicking has led to far too many turnovers.
  • I get it that finding suitable replacements for injured players with a list that has little depth can be challenging, but some of the recent selections have been bewildering. Polson for Kreuzer??? Really???....and no one to give Casboult a chop out in the ruck??? Surely McKay would have been the appropriate choice and his lead up form wasn't any worse than Polson's. If Plowman or Marchbank had been injured or their form had been bad enough they needed to be replaced then I wouldn't have had an issue with O'Shea's inclusion as his lead-up form had been solid. That was not the case though as he was brought in for SOSOS. Would it not have been better to bring in Graham or Kerridge to replace Kennedy so they could keep their midfield structures as close as possible to those developed during the preseason??? I'll leave the selection issues at that.
For me this game was lost before we even got to the selection table. You simply cannot have that many players off the boil all at the same time unless your preparation is shite and as the old saying goes Perfect Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance. Much of what I saw unfold in front of me at Etihad really stunk of a Malthouse-era-like performance.

Make no mistake, I'm not calling for our coach to be sacked or saying that everything he's implemented during preseason has been rubbish, but I would expect Juddy to pay him a visit, ask a few very pointed questions and give him a couple jabs in the clacker with a very sharp object so that he can re-acquaint himself, in synergy, with being comfortable being uncomfortable. Yes, I'm over the clichés and the associated BS that accompanies them. No, I don't expect our inexperienced side to dominate games week-in-week-out yet, but I do expect to see some tangible bloody progress. Surely this isn't too much to expect.

I am well aware that many here will see this post as being unnecessarily harsh and I'll probably have to wear some flack from those who disagree either in part, or in full. So be it, this is a forum after all and I've raised plenty of points for discussion whether they be right or they be wrong. Happy to read everyone else's POV even if it's the polar opposite of mine.

Would anybody be against the idea of us trying to lure Clarkson to the blues? It would be remiss of us not to try and acquire his services

It was rather disconcerting sitting up in Member's area on Saturday with numerous people literally asking, "WTF is going on here???". Granted it may have been just a bad week, nevertheless, I'm going sheet the blame for the performance against the Suns fairly & squarely on our coach for the following reasons:
  • Planning and preparation for this match was obviously piss-poor at best. The team looked disorganised and didn't look ready to play....and that was before the centre bounce. The fact that some of our players hadn't got to position or located their direct opponent by the time the umpire bounced the ball illustrates the point. It's the coaches job to ensure that all players know their roles and are prepared to play from the word go.
  • One comment in Bolton's midweek presser But then this from our skipper post match: Which then prompted this from a well-known Fish & Chip Shop proprietor: Well the message obviously didn't get though to the playing group. Perhaps it got diluted going via the extra layer of coaching we picked up over the off-season. Maybe it wasn't even mentioned at all.
  • I'm also beginning to wonder if Bolton might be becoming a little too comfortable being comfortable. Other comments made is that same presser also had me concerned, such as: The players don't need a new best chum, they need a coach. Someone who'll teach them discipline, develop their skillset, encourage teamwork so that individuals operate as a collective, build confidence & self-belief. I saw precious little of any of that on Saturday. A coach trying to be his players' best chum can only lead to a case of the tail wagging the dog. Having said that, they don't need a tyrant either.
  • For me there were plenty of alarm bells going off before this game was played. The decline in the defensive side of our game in the previous 3 matches has been more than noticeable, whereas virtually every other team has stepped theirs up: Against St.Kilda we had 30 tackles to their 48 and even more damning was just a paltry 2 tackles inside 50 to the Saints 12. Against the Hawks in JLT 2 it was 90 tackles to 52 and to highlight the lack of defensive pressure through the middle of the ground the Hawks had 62 inside 50s to our 39, which resulted in 19 marks for the Hawks to our 6. Forget the result, had Burgoyne not kicked 0.5, Gunston 1.3 and Sicily not handed us 3 goals on a platter we would have had our arses handed to us. Against a half-arsed Tigers we had 47 tackles opposed to 70 and a piss-poor 6 tackles inside 50 to their 11. Our lack of pressure through the middle of the ground and out of the front half resulted in 71 inside 50s to the Tigers against 47 for us, which resulted in 19 marks inside 50 for them opposed to our 8. Given 7 of our goals come from 50m penalties or free kicks and that the Tuggas had 36 scoring shots to our 20 tend to indicate that perhaps our loss in this game wasn't as honourable as many seem to think.....especially given we had a 5 goal head start. Once again on Saturday just 67 tackles to GCS 93. Hate to say it, but based upon the evidence available this Carlton team are still downhill skiers who only play bruise-free footy.
  • Of our 2015 draftees, Weitering has gone backwards, SOSOS has backwards, McKay's failed to show any real signs of development, while Cuningham has been moved to a back flank because he can't cut it as a mid, whether that be inside, outside or balanced. The thing that disturbs me most about this is that 3 of those aforementioned players are 1st Round picks and going nowhere. Add to that JGM's barely VFL quality and Gallucci has been delisted. Will we ever see the dividends in Bolton's "investing in people"??? WTF is going on with our development programs???
  • Liam Jones' further development as a KPD seems to have been put on ice, forgotten about, or simply ignored. Jones was exposed on a number of occasions towards the end of last year (Cats, Swans & Eagles) yet little seems to have been done over to summer to address his deficiencies and lack of positional nous. You just can't afford to zone off 15-20m from players such as Lynch, Hawkins, Kennedy & Buddy especially when you know the midfield is unlikely to put any defensive pressure on the ball carrier delivering the pill inside 50. Given we now have 2 defensive coaches and the Full Back of the Century is always there for consultation when required, there's absolutely no excuse. Jones' form has also been questionable so far this year. I've lost count of the amount of times he has let the ball get behind him when going for a spoil and his kicking has led to far too many turnovers.
  • I get it that finding suitable replacements for injured players with a list that has little depth can be challenging, but some of the recent selections have been bewildering. Polson for Kreuzer??? Really???....and no one to give Casboult a chop out in the ruck??? Surely McKay would have been the appropriate choice and his lead up form wasn't any worse than Polson's. If Plowman or Marchbank had been injured or their form had been bad enough they needed to be replaced then I wouldn't have had an issue with O'Shea's inclusion as his lead-up form had been solid. That was not the case though as he was brought in for SOSOS. Would it not have been better to bring in Graham or Kerridge to replace Kennedy so they could keep their midfield structures as close as possible to those developed during the preseason??? I'll leave the selection issues at that.
For me this game was lost before we even got to the selection table. You simply cannot have that many players off the boil all at the same time unless your preparation is shite and as the old saying goes Perfect Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance. Much of what I saw unfold in front of me at Etihad really stunk of a Malthouse-era-like performance.

Make no mistake, I'm not calling for our coach to be sacked or saying that everything he's implemented during preseason has been rubbish, but I would expect Juddy to pay him a visit, ask a few very pointed questions and give him a couple jabs in the clacker with a very sharp object so that he can re-acquaint himself, in synergy, with being comfortable being uncomfortable. Yes, I'm over the clichés and the associated BS that accompanies them. No, I don't expect our inexperienced side to dominate games week-in-week-out yet, but I do expect to see some tangible bloody progress. Surely this isn't too much to expect.

I am well aware that many here will see this post as being unnecessarily harsh and I'll probably have to wear some flack from those who disagree either in part, or in full. So be it, this is a forum after all and I've raised plenty of points for discussion whether they be right or they be wrong. Happy to read everyone else's POV even if it's the polar opposite of mine.

Need a Snickers Smokie?

Would anybody be against the idea of us trying to lure Clarkson to the blues? It would be remiss of us not to try and acquire his services
Nah. TBF I think we've got the right bloke. I just never ever want to see a repeat of the entirety of last week. Everyone got well and truly ahead of themselves, starting with the coach.

Yes Bolton had a mare on Saturday but over the 45 games there has been plenty of development. Start judging Bolton in the 2nd half of next year. At worst we need to finish 8th to 10th in his 5th year. Finals must be achieved by year 6. There are 4 basics he needs to institute

A) A properly structured forward line. Levi replaced by a genuine full forward with charlie at centre half forward

B) Balance between attack and defence.

C) The drawing of lines through hacks and turnover merchants: lamb, oshea, Casboultetc.

D) Replacement of murphy as captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back